goat's milk products for child with dairy allergies? Anyone try this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2005, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone has giving their child goat's milk products? How do they tolerate it? What products do you use? Is it mildly flavored ( I have used goat's milk cheese and find it very strong).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2005, 08:20 PM

I cannot even tollerate the smell of goats milk. It makes me ill just thinking about eating it, BUT my girls LOVE goats milk yogurt and cheese! It is such a treat for them. We use the yogurt a lot, acutally, for protein in the mornings and a source of fats.

It doesn't bother them, but dairy really does bother them. So this works well for us. We have never tried to drink goats milk, but we do buy the butter, cheese, and yogurt.
my girls say
Old 02-28-2005, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Where do you find it? Whole Foods?

Goddess, I miss the Union Square Farmer's market in NYC. They had lots of Goats milk products.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:42 PM

we are in the midwest and our local grocery store, HyVee, has a nice health market section. In addition there is a co-op about 40 minutes away and there are local goat farmers who sell goats milk products as well

I would ask at a farmers market to try to find some local connections!
Old 02-28-2005, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS is still EBF, but I drink goat's milk and eat goat's milk cheese and it doesn't bother him. It is a little strong, but I've always liked strong cheeses to begin with. I'm glad he can tolerate it, it's the only cheese I've had in months.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 02-28-2005, 11:02 PM

Please, please keep in mind that up to 97% of children who are allergic to dairy are also allergic to goat's milk products. If you're lucky enough to be in that remaining 3%, great. But, for us to even take that risk would mean first getting ds2 tested (both SPT and RAST) for goat's milk and then, pending negative results from both tests, challenging the milk at Johns Hopkins. Even then, after seeing my son's ana reactions to dairy, I'd probably be very nervous.

Missy
Old 02-28-2005, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy
Please, please keep in mind that up to 97% of children who are allergic to dairy are also allergic to goat's milk products. If you're lucky enough to be in that remaining 3%, great. But, for us to even take that risk would mean first getting ds2 tested (both SPT and RAST) for goat's milk and then, pending negative results from both tests, challenging the milk at Johns Hopkins. Even then, after seeing my son's ana reactions to dairy, I'd probably be very nervous.

Missy
Missy, just wondering if you have a source for this number? I can understand your nervousness with your son if he has had anaphylactic reactions to cow's milk proteins, but that number seems really, really high. Our naturopath actually recommended we use goat's milk instead of formula when we started giving our son supplemental milks at age four months for his low weight gain issues and my low milk supply issues. Her reasoning for this was that goat's milk proteins are more similar to human milk proteins than cow's milk proteins.

In addition, we have friends whose now four year old daughter is allergic to cow's milk and cannot have cow's milk or cheese made from cow's milk. But she can have goat's milk and cheese made from goat's milk without any problems. The goat's milk when it's cold is not quite as strong tasting, and some goat cheeses are less pungent than others so it might just take some taste testing.

warmly,
claudia
Old 02-28-2005, 11:44 PM

Claudia--

I know the number is extremely high--that's why I'm putting it out there. The lowest figure I've heard is um...93%, I think. Still too high for my comfort. A lot of people, uncluding medical professionals, automatically recommend goat's milk without knowing the risks.

I see if I can't find a source with figures...

Missy
Old 03-01-2005, 12:23 AM

Old 03-01-2005, 01:10 AM

Thanks Missy

I think there must be a pretty big difference for those who experience the swollen throat / hives type allergic reaction vs those who are intollerant and sensitive etc.

I am not sure what my personal reaction would qualify as (allergey, intolelrance?) but it is a reaction to casien and goats milk doesn't bother me. My response to dairy is shakes, diarrhea, rarely but occasionally vomitting, fever, acid refulx. The girls both respond similarly to dairy. None of us responds at all to goats milk products? I wonder if those percentages take into account the people who are intollerant, but don't react with anaphylactic response?

Because it would seem odd that we hear so many success stories from people who get ill on dairy, but not on goats products?

It would be interesting to see some studies on the different types of responses and then to see how they compare with each dairy and goat product?

now I need to web research cause my curiosity is piqued!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:41 AM

Lala--from what I understand, the casein is very similar but the whey is different. So, if your allergy is strictly to the whey, goat's milk would be fine. Also, the casein has some small differences, so a minute number of people with an allergy to dairy casien can still have goat's milk. And, too, some of what I read did suggest that the level of sensitivity did seem to make a difference. I just know of parents who got so excited when they thought of goat's milk, only to have their child suffer an anaphylactic reaction to it because nobody warned them. And so many drs. just have no clue.

Missy
Old 03-01-2005, 01:49 AM

We tried organic raw goat's milk and regular goat's milk, but she vomited immed. with both. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy
..... because nobody warned them. And so many drs. just have no clue.

Missy

this is so incredibly true around here. I have exhausted the medial community and come to the conclusion that doctors in Iowa must not study this stuff?!
We have not received much help from the medical profession. I had hoped we were just in a slow area. It is sad to think that the lack of education in the area of nutrition and allergies relating to food is the "norm" among doctors.

Our local nutritionalist did not know what Quinoa was. Never had heard of it!

sorry..i get off topic easy when thinking about how sadly mis directed we are as parents when it comes to the help we receive from our trusted medical community...
Old 03-01-2005, 10:37 AM

See the link below for references () for the statements made.

http://www.immunocapinvitrosight.com...ns.asp?id=2510

Goat’s milk often appears as a substitute for cow’s milk, particularly in diets administered by parents to children with atopic dermatitis (1). Some cow’s milk-allergic children may tolerate goat’s milk (2). However, there appears to be evidence for crossreactivity between goat’s milk and cow’s milk (3). In a study of crossreactivity of the casein fractions among different species, the IgE response to ewe and goat’s milk was weaker than that to cow and buffalo (4).
14/16 patients with cow’s milk allergy had specific IgE antibodies to goat’s milk (5).
Old 03-01-2005, 12:43 PM

that is a high number! I guess we are very lucky to be in that small percentage!

User Tag List