fungus and eczema - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-07-2002, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds has suffered from eczema since about 4 mo. He is now 19 mo. We try controlling it with moisturizers, diet, keeping him clean and dry and yet it persists. It cycles with his stress levels... a new tooth or a change in the routine and he's covered with red raw itchy skin... on his arms, legs, and the sides of his face. We finally conceeded to clearing it up with cortizone when nothing else would work and I just couldn't take seeing him going crazy from the itching. The cortizone gave him a yeast infection and doesn't work anymore so we stopped using it. I read somewhere here that someone had luck using an anti-fungal cream. Well, this is like a miracle. It clearly relieves the itching. It doesn't aid much in healing, but just the fact that he's not scratching helps with the healing.

edited to add:

The only other time I've seen such a dramatic affect was when I tried lavendar oil with him. It worked wonderfully, but ended up giving him a different rash (small red bumps everywhere).

My question for all you health nuts is this:
Is your over-the-counter anti-fungal (foot) cream safe for spreading on the arms and legs of a 19 mo for a few weeks? I'm hesitant to try another essential oil because of the reaction he had to the lavendar. I've heard that tea tree oil is a good anti-fungal but can be toxic for babies.

Second, I was thinking that something like yogurt in his diet could help him in the long run if is excema is really caused by an over abundance of eczema. What's that stuff you give babies for controlling thrush? Any other tips?
#2 of 3 Old 10-07-2002, 01:48 AM

Kanga, I haven't seen you around in a while!

It is good when you finally find something to stop the itching. I sometimes break down and use the 2.5% hydrocortisone if there is itching. I know my little pumpkin seed just suffers when there is itiching and I can't bear it. ALso, he scratches himself up pretty good and I worry about secondary infections.

Glad to hear you are getting things under control.
#3 of 3 Old 10-07-2002, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Pumpkinseed,
Yep, things have been really turned upside down and inside out around here. DS started Montessori School and we spend all our time together outside... therefore no computer time for Mamma. The teachers are great, but don't take his eczema as seriously as I think they should. I believe they let him itch and give him foods he shouldn't have. Anyway, nice to hear from you...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page