steroid cream and eczema? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2002, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if someone could please give me any suggestions for a healthy alternative to the steroid cream the doctor has prescribed for my eczema. I only recently developed eczema on my arms (5mths ago?) and when I visited the doctor to confirm my pregnancy she prescribed a medium strength steroid cream without giving me any other options. Is steroid cream safe in pregnancy? I don't know much about sc but feel like it is a bit extreme. My eczema is aggravated by heat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2002, 08:44 AM

Old 10-18-2002, 10:31 AM

i used to have eczema really bad as a kid, and then it went away for a few years and came back after i had my son. i also didn't want to go the route of corticosteroids (i heard that if you don't use it *very* sparingly, it can cause cancer).. i tried a lot of things and the only thing that really worked was hemp seed oil lotion.. i don't know if there's a body shop near you, but that's where i got mine. i used one tube and it hasn't come back in 2 years..
Old 10-18-2002, 10:41 AM

Ooooooo
Old 10-18-2002, 10:42 AM

I've gotten bad eczema since childhood; when I was pregnant I started getting it and went to a dermatologist. She said that steroid creams were not recommended during pregnancy, and told me to try Cetaphil lotion. It worked wonderfully. Put it on three times a day. You can buy it at any drugstore and it's about 8.00 a bottle.

I use it now to prevent eczema. I haven't had eczema since.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:57 AM

Corticosteroids in these creams at high doses have produced birth defects in laboratory animals. Applied topically to the skin it probably isn't as much of a risk, but you still absorb some of it.

Eczema is really a broad term, which bascially means, "were not sure what it is or what its cause is." Steroid creams really just cover up the symptoms and make you more comfortable.

The suggestions so far sound good. People's reaction's to eczema treatment is highly individual, so keep trying them until you find one that works well. However, I would avoid the steroid creams during pregnancy if you possibly can.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
Old 10-18-2002, 01:10 PM

We have found that eczema is often brought on by stress, or emotional highs and lows. It isn't surprising that you would break out during pregnacy. Sometimes you can simply treat it by relaxation techniques such as yoga. Avoid using harsh soaps in bathing and laundry. You could also try an oatmeal bath and a little calendula tinture topicly. I would suggest looking at the whole person and perhaps consulting a Homeopath.

Good luck, and try not to itch too much.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:41 PM

I have a patch of eczema on my hand that has come and gone for years. Well, since the end of my pregnancy and the birth of my babe it has been solidly *here*, itching like crazy (hey - isn't an itchy hand supposed to signify money coming my way?). So, I would concur that stress is a factor.

I also find that my eczema reacts to peanuts. Which stinks because I love peanut butter and used to eat it every day. In fact, I think I have eaten it every day since my babe was born until a month or so ago when I read that it could be a factor and stopped for a while to test the theory.

The other thing that seems to make a difference for me is water intake. When I don't drink enough water it's worse.

But, some days it's just horrible for no reason I can figure out.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:05 PM

Using creams can help make it go away but it is only treating the symptom not the problem. We battle it too. We need to go to the homeopath and see what is causing it.
I have found that fish oil or flax do help it go away. In that case your body is lacking EFA's.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:29 PM

How much is the eczema bothering you? If it is not so bad at all, maybe it's better to refrain from steroid cream, it really as has been mentioned, only solves the problem temporarily.
It cld be due to food allergens, or even smth in the environment. It cld also be due to your fluctuating hormones during pregnancy and will just go away by itself. Change in climate (getting drier) can also be a factor.
Good Luck & take care!
Old 10-21-2002, 06:09 PM

Calenduela ointment works for me...I read somewhere ointments are better than lotions because lotions have more water in them which drys the skin.

User Tag List