Not sure if a lot of food allergies ARE allergies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 119 Old 06-02-2005, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a reason why the gut cannot properly digest the food. Such as in our case, yeast causing the inability to break down food properly causing reactions. And since mercury has been proven to change gut flora, I'm getting my mercury amalgam fillings taken out.

Rather than just eliminating certain foods, there has to be a next step of healing the gut. I think this is missing from ALL mainstream allergists and even a lot of alternative practitioners don't really approach it this way.... to find the SOURCE of the improper intestinal function and correct it.

So it's not an Allergy, but Impaired Digestion.

Not sure if I'm actually explaining the thoughts in my head correctly.

And of course anaphylactic reactions are way more complicated, but I think you get what I'm trying to say about most of the food intolerances that we seem to be seeing so much of these days.

Maybe this is obvious to others but it wasn't to me when I started the Elim. Diet.

Okay, now I'm just rambling and it's way too late and I should be in bed :LOL
#2 of 119 Old 06-02-2005, 12:39 PM

Jane
I've been wondering this too since dd has so many "allergies" and there aren't any in our families. This would make sense since we know her digestion is shot. Have you found any articles to support this?
#3 of 119 Old 06-02-2005, 12:44 PM

JaneS...I completely agree with you. I am also working on getting my metal fillings out, last two will be done next week. I am most interested in finding out about reversing any damage, healing the gut, etc.
#4 of 119 Old 06-02-2005, 01:23 PM

Just getting the fillings out may not be enough. You may have mercury in the gut from vaccines.

Some people are going to chelation therapy.

www.generationrescue.org
#5 of 119 Old 06-02-2005, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Moneca,
There was one a while ago that advanced the theory about leaky gut and toxins from yeast overload causing eczema, but I've lost it b/c I'm "a mama who is doing too much" lately. The Body Ecology Diet has a bit about healing the gut by re-introducing dairy loving and grain loving probiotics back into the system and therefore overcoming the inability to digest. And actually I've been meaning to ask you a question, you had your little one's stool analysis done right? DS's came back high in potential pathogenic bacteria... am I remembering correctly... is this what your DD's tests said too?

Circlemama,
Good luck, you must be so excited to be done soon! Post an update in the Metal Fillings Replaced While BFing thread and keep us informed of your progress.

Gitti,
Yes, thank you, I actually posted about Generation Rescue last week, fascinating group!!! I have been doing a great deal of research about this which naturally dovetails with info about autism and mercury exposure. I have to give you and the rest of the super knowledgable folks in the Vaccs Forum a HUGE because without that board, I would not have continued to research vax's in depth and DS would have gotten some. I have NO doubt that we dodged a bullet here... I do think he was a strong candidate for serious vax damage.

Apparently most studies have shown that after the fillings are removed the body naturally starts the slow process of dumping the mercury that has accumulated in the organs. I'm on chlorella, and bunch of other things to enhance binding and eliminating right now. And then we are pursuing the issue with a holistic MD shortly.

And actually kefir is considered a chelator as well. All I can say is that we are doing FABULOUS on it. I can't say enough good things about it for healing the gut.
#6 of 119 Old 06-04-2005, 02:08 PM

Jane,
Did you have great smokies lab do the stool analysis? Sierra's did come back high in four different areas of "bad" bacteria. The only one that was pathogenic was klebsiella. Right now she is on a homeopathic bacterial and fungal nosode remedy per her ND. I actually gave her cheese and kefir a couple nights ago out of desperation ( she had vomited 3 times during the day and only kept down about nine oz. of the hypoallergenic formula she was on ). She kept the cheese and kefir down!! We're still doing chiropractic and NMT, but I think I'm going to check out the SCD diet a bit more now that she seems to be doing ok with cheese and kefir/yogurt : . PM me if you want to talk more about the stool analysis.
#7 of 119 Old 06-04-2005, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Came across some articles today, but there are lots out there:
http://www.food-allergy.org/page1.html
http://www.doctormurray.com/newsletter/1-21-2003.htm
http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/foodallergy.html

Great article on leaky gut:
http://www.mold-survivor.com/leaky_gut_syndrome.htm

Yep re: Great Smokies analysis, will PM you. I'm feeling a bit lost as to how to explain all this though. I wanna know a REASON ykwim?

Whoopee re: cheese and kefir!!
#8 of 119 Old 06-05-2005, 07:15 AM

I have heard that stomach-acid reducing medications (like Zantac and Prilosec) can induce allergies. Because stomach acid is required to digest proteins, low stomach acidity would result in large hunks of protein getting into the rest of the gut, which could induce allergic reactions.

I've also heard that many people who think they have heartburn or who feel like the food is just sittting in their stomachs for ages after meals actually may have low stomach acidity (and then many of them take acid-reducing meds which gets rid of the heartburn, but not the problem). And some people with a high requirement for niacin (as in, too high to be met by diet) can have low stomach acidity too, which could be reversed by adequate amounts of niacin or niacin isoheacianate (or whatever it's called) if they can't tolerate the niacin flushing symptoms.

so there's some more fodder...
-Lori

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#9 of 119 Old 06-05-2005, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, the hydrocholoric acid/heartburn issue is another good example of how interfering with the natural process of digestion can cause more problems down the road. I just hate that way of thinking... "Oh this person is producing too much acid, let's reduce it," without figuring out WHY that symptom is happening.
#10 of 119 Old 06-05-2005, 09:25 PM

oh yeah, there's an entire book called "why stomach acid is good for you" - haven't read it yet, so I don't know if it's any good.
-L

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#11 of 119 Old 06-06-2005, 12:42 PM

There's some interesting gut stuff at the University of Sunderland Autism Research Unit's site. Or at least there was the last time I looked.
#12 of 119 Old 06-06-2005, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

#13 of 119 Old 06-06-2005, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Moneca and I are reading up on the SCD : Specific Carbohydrate Diet if anyone would like to join us...

The book is called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/
http://www.scdiet.org/
http://www.pecanbread.com/
http://www.scdrecipe.com/index.html
#14 of 119 Old 06-07-2005, 09:37 AM

#15 of 119 Old 06-07-2005, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The GLA is required for many purposes in the body such as the manufacture of the prostaglandins but it also has a role in maintaining the integrity of the gut wall. Thus where there is insufficient GLA the permeability of the gut wall increases and partially digested foodstuffs could, as described earlier, pass more easily into the blood stream (Oaten 1993).
Hmmmm, very interesting, since I think the evening primrose oil really helped DS's skin too. It is all interrelated...
#16 of 119 Old 06-07-2005, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Moneca and I are reading up on the SCD : Specific Carbohydrate Diet if anyone would like to join us...

The book is called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall
Can I just say it's so super irritating that no one agrees??

The Body Ecology Diet advocates using kefir and stevia.
The SCDiet says they are bad and should be completely avoided.
There are tons of other examples I could list but won't.
And of course my naturopath says something else too.

#17 of 119 Old 06-08-2005, 01:24 PM

Yes, makes me too.
#18 of 119 Old 06-08-2005, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Can I just say it's so super irritating that no one agrees??

The Body Ecology Diet advocates using kefir and stevia.
The SCDiet says they are bad and should be completely avoided.
There are tons of other examples I could list but won't.
And of course my naturopath says something else too.

Yes, it is frustrating! I get to the point where I don't know what I'm "supposed" to be eating. If I really had time, I'd look at the scientific journals and base my decisions on studies I judge to be sound.

I made some crackers... or I tried to.. from a recipe in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook the other day. They were with sprouted wheat and seeds, so it took a lot of effort & time to prepare those. I added in the amount of salt the recipe called for... and those crackers were so disgusting-inedible, they were so salty. I thought I'd make myself some healthy snacking food as I've pretty much gone back to eating dark chocolate as my snack. It was so discouraging that I'm ready to can the whole NT philosophy. Another contributing factor to my discouragement is the kefir I made from goat's milk also caused dd's skin to break out when I had some... so I don't know...Does fermenting and sprouting foods really make them healthier and better tasting? Maybe I just had bad luck with what I chose to try from the Body Ecology/ NT diets. I took a look at the SC website the other day and saw all the contradictions with NT and I said forget it! I can't deal! It really can be challenging to make big dietary changes!
#19 of 119 Old 06-08-2005, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmon
Yes, makes me too.
I love that smilie... looks just like my redheaded DH so I think I'll use it!! :LOL
#20 of 119 Old 06-08-2005, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahariz
Yes, it is frustrating! I get to the point where I don't know what I'm "supposed" to be eating. If I really had time, I'd look at the scientific journals and base my decisions on studies I judge to be sound.

I made some crackers... or I tried to.. from a recipe in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook the other day. They were with sprouted wheat and seeds, so it took a lot of effort & time to prepare those. I added in the amount of salt the recipe called for... and those crackers were so disgusting-inedible, they were so salty. I thought I'd make myself some healthy snacking food as I've pretty much gone back to eating dark chocolate as my snack. It was so discouraging that I'm ready to can the whole NT philosophy. Another contributing factor to my discouragement is the kefir I made from goat's milk also caused dd's skin to break out when I had some... so I don't know...Does fermenting and sprouting foods really make them healthier and better tasting? Maybe I just had bad luck with what I chose to try from the Body Ecology/ NT diets. I took a look at the SC website the other day and saw all the contradictions with NT and I said forget it! I can't deal! It really can be challenging to make big dietary changes!
Well very few studies on leaky gut that I know of... this is uncharted territory here!

I hear you re: those NT recipes... you have to plan so far in advance, it's really hard. I have heard of other recipes having problems with the salt amount.

But yes, soaking grains (and sprouting) markedly increases the nutrient availibility. The phytates in grains block the absorption of most minerals in your diet. I'm also reading Wild Fermentation too, there are a ton of health benefits nutrients wise to fermenting food, not just being easier to digest as well.

I wish my work would slow down so I could have more time to cook (experiment)!!
#21 of 119 Old 06-09-2005, 04:18 PM

Well, we started the SCD diet Monday because at that point Sierra was vomiting 2-3 times per day and only keeping in 9 oz. of the hypoallergenic 55% corn syrup formula per day. Talk about something you thought you would NEVER give your child : . Monday she ate o.k. and only vomited once when she gagged herself with her hand . Tuesday she bearly ate a thing and I was so bummed. Then, yesterday was my day of miracles. She ate more than I have EVER seen her eat and loved it :LOL . I couldn't believe it . She has never enjoyed eating. She ate cheese, avacado, strawberries, bananas, bread (made from almond flour, eggs, butter, bananas), chicken, and tons of fluids. She hasn't vomited since Monday. Last several times she had dairy, avacado, and eggs she vomited immed. Today I started her on the 24 hr yoghurt. I shook it in a bottle with honey and it had a drinkable consistency. She loved it . This is a miracle . I can't believe I had this book in my hands in January and didn't even read it because all the recipes I glanced at had yoghurt, butter, or eggs .
Hopefully Lala will add her two cents since she put her girls on SCD and they overcame their allergies.
#22 of 119 Old 06-12-2005, 02:07 PM

Wow, Moneca, that is great! I'm so happy for you!

I looked again at the SC diet website and decided to order the book! I really liked Elaine's (the author's) story.
#23 of 119 Old 06-26-2005, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

We are gradually transitioning to SCD. Only simple sugars, monosaccharides, are allowed... the theory being that they are fully digested in the small intestine and do not pass to the large intestine to ferment like complex carbs, and thus do not feed the yeast/bacteria there. It was developed for celiac, ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease but there is now a large following of people having success beating yeast issues, including kids w/ autism.

No grains at all. Breads, muffins and pancakes are made from nut flours.
No corn or parsnips or turnips. Fruits are okay. Absolutely no sugars of any kind except honey. Fresh meats only. Eggs. Yogurt that has been cultured for 24 hrs (then no lactose, a complex sugar, remains) and some cheeses, including farmer's cheese, cheddar et al.

One of the reasons this appeal to me is that I'm dying for a banana :LOL

But our digestion has gradually gotten better and we have been tolerating more carbs... so I thought by targeting these specific carbs that are easily digested, we could finish our healing.

I made the most delicious blueberry/almond flour muffins....mmmmm.

I love the author's story (and she is just so cute looking as well!)http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...th_a_child.htm
#24 of 119 Old 06-27-2005, 04:43 PM

Jane ,
Keep me posted on your story of healing. Isn't it wonderful when everything finally comes together and makes sense after working the puzzle for so long. The yogurmet multi make the 24 hour yoghurt soooo easy. Hope to hear good things from you and ds!

Peace,
#25 of 119 Old 06-28-2005, 01:48 PM

What is the SCD? It sounds from this thread like you're all avoiding refined grains and sugars, which is how I try to eat anyway. I'd be very interested. I hate bread, I tolerate whole wheat, but can't stand white at all. Some w/ pasta. I would live on fresh vegetables and meat if my family felt the same way and it wasn't just easier to eat it cuz I'm cooking for them anyway. LOL!
#26 of 119 Old 06-28-2005, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

See links above, it is based on the book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall... no sugar, no grains, no starchy veggies like potatoes and corn.
#27 of 119 Old 07-02-2005, 12:57 PM

Hey, mountainmon, thanks for giving me the heads up about this thread, very interesting!

There's something I want to add to this discussion. I think all you gals are on the right track as far as poor digestion causing allergies. You have to heal the gut to get rid of allergies. The Hcl theory is especially interesting. But there are other factors that play into this that complicate it quite a bit. Your endocrine health plays a huge part in whether or not you are reacting to foods at any given time. The health of your adrenal glands in particular is very important. Low adrenal function can cause the body to begin making errors in the tagging process (process by which the ACS differentiates harmless or helpful substances from toxins). And of course what is it that damages the adrenals? Stress! So conventional docs are right when they say that stress can bring on eczema break outs.

My personal experience has been that when I'm going through a period of extreme stress, I begin reacting to nearly everything. I get really irritated when i read about the mucous test, because when I'm in that state, everything causes mucous, I react to nearly every food I might be able to get some protein from. The only thing that brings me out of that is some sort of energetic treatment like NAET or homeopathy. Once the tagging errors are corrected and my body starts using nutrients more effeciently, I stop reacting to things.

I try not to worry about all the discord among the different healing diet gurus. They're human just like us. There's no one "correct" diet for everyone. I think we each need to individualize our diets for our needs based what we believe to be principles of good nutrition. One thing that has always fascinated me is that it doesn't seem to matter a lick what you're eating, homeopathy still works. The more experience I get, the more I realize that we are so much more than physical beings. The physical aspects of life like diet and exercise are very important considerations because of the effect they have on our energetic health, but healing the energetic imbalance directly is a much quicker form of healing. Once that imbalance is taken care of, everything else seems just to fall into place on it's own. The body has an incredible capacity to heal itself.
#28 of 119 Old 07-02-2005, 06:58 PM

Myjo,
Thanks for chiming in... very interesting. I love the fact that the gut can be healed naturally - makes me feel so good about what I'm finally doing for Sierra.

Peace,
#29 of 119 Old 07-03-2005, 10:57 PM

Do you mind if I ask you all what your blood types are?

I'm wondering because it's been my impression that there really is something to eating right for your blood type. I'm type O-, so the SCDiet would probably be really good for me.

I definitely have a leaky gut, and am either allergic or sensitive to pretty much everything.

My son is the same way, only his blood type is A+.

So, my previous thinking would have said that he would do better on a mostly vegetarian diet, with lots of grains.

I've always been a little leary of the SCD because of the nut flours - nuts are a scary thing to give a child who's prone to allergies.
#30 of 119 Old 07-04-2005, 10:12 AM

My dd and I are both A. I turned away from the diet in January because it contained so many things that I thought dd was "allergic" to. It's frightening to change your child's whole diet and your way of thinking after months or years of believing one thing. Dd was doing so badly just before I started her on the SCD that I didn't have much to loose. We had done a CDSA stool test so we knew she had yeast and bad bacterial overgrowth (dysbiosis). This let me know that she needed to heal her gut and that made the diet very interesting to me and worth the risk. I shout add that dd never had an ana reaction to anything - just gi manifestations and eczema.

Peace,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page