Kicking myself - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2005, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so kicking myself about a mistake I've been making for the last few months. I'm still relatively new at the avoiding-allergens thing since it's only been a few months since we got them all figured out. But anyway, we like to go out to eat at Chipotle since they actually have something for my daughter to eat, and my husband and I love their food. I had started to think that maybe she was allergic to beans or that they were causing super-gas or something since she was having bad nights after we ate it.

Then, we went there a few days ago and I noticed a gallon of milk on the counter in the kitchen area. I asked the server what they use the milk for and she told me it goes in the guacamole! : I've been feeding her the guacamole every time we go there!!!! So, no more guac for her - at least not unless it's homemade. I really need to learn to ask these questions more proactively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2005, 05:08 PM

I can totally relate. Just when you think you have a handle on it something else pops up. We have been so carefull with ds and his peanut allergy. He has had one horrible reaction since we found out about it. No products in the house and no eatting out. No problem, right? Wrong!
Last night we headed to the grocery store for a family outing (Sad, isn't it)
We were almost done when we remembered we needed popcorn. Right next to it were the peanuts and trailmix snacks. I didn't think much about it until two minutes later Ds started complaining his face itched. I looked at him and his eyes were bloodshot and his face was all red and splotchy. He had picked up a sealed container of peanuts.

After we got him dosed with Benadryl and made sure the reaction was over I started kicking myself too. Something so obvious.

Just be glad you asked and never stop asking.

Take care
Old 06-24-2005, 06:20 PM

I can soooo relate. We parents of food allergic kids have to be constant detectives. But don't kick yourself for it ShellyK, who would have thought? Great for you for figuring it out. I was shocked one day to see that even some potato chips have milk in them.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 06-24-2005, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

I am greatful that Julie's reactions are much less serious than they could be - at least we can afford to take the risk of going out to dinner every once in a while.

Sara, your experience is so scary! I'm glad your son was okay.

Max, I had no idea about potato chips! I'm going to have to start checking labels on those more carefully since I do let Julie indulge in them on occasion - maybe once a month if we're having sandwiches and chips.

Thanks so much for your support - both of you!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:17 PM

BTDT

I am shocked though that they put milk in thier guac....but then again Ive seen stranger things. ACT II Popcorn has eggs in one of thier flavors......so we avoid thier popcorn like the plague!

User Tag List