Dairy allergy and goats milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-27-2005, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anybody with a dairy allergy use goats milk? My mom has got a bee in her bonnet that I need to be using goats milk. I am on an elim. diet for DDs allergies. My first reaction was NO, but then I think it was just my being annoyed at her trying to micromange the allergies. We all know how much fun that is. (why is it that people who have never dealt with food allergies are always experts???) Anyway, I have found a source for goats milk, and plan on trying it soon. I just wondered if anybody else had success with it.
TIA<
Kathryn
p.s. tried dairy at 19 months and bad reaction, elim. it at 5 months.
#2 of 7 Old 06-27-2005, 03:26 AM

We have 3 out of 5 children (and DH) who are allergic to cow's milk, but can tolerate goat's milk no problem. It is also easier to digest than cow's milk.

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#3 of 7 Old 06-27-2005, 02:39 PM

MOST people who are allergic to cow's milk cannot tolerate goat's milk either. But some can. It might be worth a try, but don't be surprised if dd reacts to it. I am allergic to cow's milk. I can tolerate sheep's milk cheese a little better, but not goat's. HTH!

Oh, and my dh is also allergic to dairy but he can tolerate goat's, but doesn't like it. My sister and her kids also can't tolerate goat's.
#4 of 7 Old 06-27-2005, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS is allergic to cow's milk (and soy) but doesn't have a problem with goat's milk. He hasn't had it directly, other than a few bites of goat's milk yogurt. However I can drink goat's milk and eat cheeses made with both goat and sheep milk without it affecting him.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#5 of 7 Old 06-28-2005, 12:56 AM

Over 90% of people with a true dairy allergy are also allergic to goat's milk. The proteins are very similar. My son is ana. on contact with dairy; it's not worth the risk to me. He's been through too much.

Missy
#6 of 7 Old 06-28-2005, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, we are driving out to the farm on Saturday. If it works great, if not then that is OK too.
Maya has never had any dairy, only through my breastmilk. She is also allergic to soy. Not that there are any soy subs for dairy in Japan. People here eat soy because they like it, not to replace dairy. Most soy milk contains trace dairy here. Which was frustrating when I was eating soy... But, there are good subs for soy sauce and miso made from millet.
Thanks,Kathryn
#7 of 7 Old 06-30-2005, 09:42 AM

My Dr. just put me on a non dairy diet, except for yogurt. She said that goat's milk should be ok, at least it works for her. I am going to try it out and see.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page