Pneumonia vs Asthma - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2005, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 20 month old has asthma. It is mostly active when he has a cold. I took him to urgent care 2 days ago because his lips had a blueish tinge to them. His blood ox was 93 (not the worst he has had). They xrayed him and diagnosed him with pneumonia. The second time this has happened.

This does not seem normal in babies. So the question that I am most concerned about is does he really have pneumonia or is the asthma giving the xrays a weird reading. Or does asthma make babies more suseptable to pneumonia. I don't feel comfortable giving him antibiotics for pneumonia if all it is is the asthma flaring up at an extra high level. But pneumonia is such a scary prospect if it becomes too entrenched in his lungs. My MIL 2 year old brother died from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2005, 04:39 PM

pnuemonia is fluid in the lungs and can be viral or bacterial- I think it shows up as cloudy on the xrays.

asthma is swelling/inflamation of the airways and as far as I know, won't be picked up on xrays the same way.

I have asthma, dx with it when I was 10 - and had pneumonia at least once a year, sometimes twice from when I was really little until my dad quit smoking when I was 12 or 13.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 07-08-2005, 03:36 AM

If asthma goes into pheumonia this often, you might want to cure the asthma!

There's a great book called "Allergy Free!". I think one of the authors is Burton Goldberg (I would look it up for you, but I've loaned it out), and he talks about natural ways to cure allergies, including asthma.

You might also consider NAET with a naturopath, who will strenthen his immune system so this doesn't happen again.

Since vaccines suppress the immune system, I would highly recommend that you hold off on any vaccines, if you've been giving them, at least until you've defeated all these issues. (forever would be best).

hth
Old 07-08-2005, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Michelle - thanks. I wondered mostly because I can tell if he is having an asthma attack by the wheezing that I feel between his shoulder blades. This time however, I could feel and the doctor heard wheezing on his lower right side. The xrays showed the pneumonia in his lower left lung. Made me wonder what the doctor and I were hearing.

Penny - I will look into that book. I would love to cure his allergies. He has multiple food allergies. He had horrible eczema has an infant which I keep under control with a strict diet. I just assumed that if he didn't naturally outgrow the allergies that he would be stuck with them. The worst is dairy. That has caused asthma attacks also both through ingestion and inhalation.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I feel entirely comfortable giving up vaccines right now. We are in the process of adopting a little girl from China and given the high rates of infectious diseases in some parts of China I don't know if I want him exposed to those given his suseptibility to colds turning into pneumonia.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:53 AM

Won't your daughter be screened for the infectious diseases that we vaccinate for?

Just keepin mind that vaccines suppress the immune system. This can cause asthma, and any other host of problems. If his system is already suppressed, then going further could cause more problems, such as autism.

The nature of vaccines is basically a trade-off: you trade some immune supression for temprorary immunity from a certain disease. The problem is that vaccines will actually leae you more vulnerable to everything else tat out's there, while most of the diseases vaccinated for aren't deadly anyway.

At least, please research it and give it some thought.

User Tag List