sub for crisco? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2005, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
has anyone had success w/ coconut oil in baking??

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 02:32 PM

I've used it in the "Really Great Food Company" cake mix. I don't think the end product is as moist as if another oil was used. I've also used it in stir-frying, and it works fine. I've used it for making pancakes, and the pancakes seemed to stick to the pan more than with other oils.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:53 PM

I use coconut oil for everything and LOVE it. It has so many wonderful, health promoting properties and is one of the few oils that is stable at high temperatures (vegetable oils go rancid at high temps). Virgin coconut oil is great in anything that you don't mind a slight coconut undertone to. I use it in all my baking, cookies, cakes, muffins, etc. There is also a slightly refined coconut oil, expeller pressed, that retains most of the beneficial properties of the virgin oil but does not have any coconut flavor or smell. This is perfect for sauteeing, frying, any type of cooking. I get my oils from www.tropicaltraditions.com. There is also another company that sells high quality oil called Wilderness Family Naturals.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:19 PM

It works well for most things, but not for pie crusts. I make oil crusts for one crust pies, but I use Smart Balance vegetable shortening to make crusts that have to be rolled out. It's hard to find, though. Only one grocery store out of about 5 here in town sells it. I sometimes think about trying to refrigerate it or palm oil to see if that would help. Dunno.

User Tag List