probiotics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2005, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok one more question? i've read a few posts here that ercommend probiotics..my dd 18thms is allergic to dairy..so i'll need an alternative, if i use it..but what are they? and what do they do? i know that replenish gut flora-is that right? why would that need replenishing?

-ingrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2005, 12:32 AM

Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that normally reside in the gut, things like acidophilius, bifidis, etc. You can add probiotics to your body in supplement form or in things like yogurt and keifer.
Many people today have had the beneficial bacteria in their gut seriously depleted by antibiotic use because antibiotics kill the good bacteria along with the bad. Also intestinal illnesses can reak havoc on the gut flora. I have also heard, but do not have any references to give you, that vaccinations are a culprit in depleting the beneficial bacteria.
If you choose to give your daughter a probiotic supplement, there are several brands that are dairy free. Make sure you get it from the refrigerated section and keep it refrigerated at home.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:37 AM

Even the chlorine in tap water kills some of the good bacteria in your gut. Not having enough good bacteria affects your immunity and digestion. Having a healthy gut is also important for detoxifying. Even if you eat all organic there are contaminants like mercury in rain that water the crops. We all have toxins coming into our bodies regardless of how careful we are. Probiotics are necessary to keep your gut healthy which keeps you at your best. You can buy probiotics from the health food store, make yoghurt from rice or almond milk, try goat milk yoghurt (something like 90% of people who can't tolerate dairy also have a problem with goat milk), or have fermented veggies. I would encourage you to visit the "power of probiotics" thread that is located on the first page of health and healing to give you a crash education on probiotics.

Peace,
Old 07-22-2005, 04:22 AM

A few excellent probiotics that are available online, and that are dairy-free, are Culturelle, Pro Bio Gold, and Theralac.

You should know ahead of time that probiotics need to be rotated. In other words, the good results you get from any one of them will wane after a few weeks, and it's important to know ahead of time that you should buy a different brand when the first one runs out, so that you are giving different strains of beneficial bacteria.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:49 PM

Do you purchase pro-biotics on line? Do they come in cooler? I need good probiotics, and don't know what to look for on line to find them. I am currently taking the one sold by my chiropractice: Ultra Flora Plus DF (Dairy Free). I use the one in capsule, and powered ones for my kids in soy, rice or almond milk. However, rotating the brands of probiotics is an EXCELLENT idea. Thank you bell bottom blues!!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:46 PM

I've bought most of mine online. You can buy Culturelle and ProBio Gold from Kirkman Labs (www.kirkmanlabs.com), and Theralac several places.

You might give Kirkman a call, and ask to speak to someone about all the different types of probiotics, and how to decide which one is right for you. Of course, whatever might be right for you for the first month, will not be right for you next month. So, you're going to be trying several kinds over several months.

I'm not sure what types of problems you or your kiddos are experiencing, but if it's anything too severe, you might check into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, at www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info.

HTH
Old 07-23-2005, 07:13 AM

The problem is eczema on my kids, and the question is how are we going to be able to eat foods that causes flair ups. My kids were never vaccinated, and never have used anti-biotics. Yet, miserable eczema when they eat certain foods. I have found most of the trigger foods by taking food diary, and they are currently eczema free. So, why are my kids so sensitive and not able to eat those foods? I'll be happy to not ever eat diary and wheat, but concerned about other nutritional value from food that we can't eat. We had severe yeast problem since my first child was born: She had thrush, and I had yeast on my nipple(s) and fingers. Carbohydrate/rice is our weak food, but, trying to reduce. I have read about Kirkman lab when I was reading about "leaky gut" on Autism and DD. I somehow believe there is a cure and healing to eczema and want to find out "whys"
Old 07-24-2005, 02:03 AM

I can't recommend enough that you read the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle". The website is at www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info.

Some parents find, with eczema, that their kids improve after they eliminate the triggers. However, after a period of improvement, they continue to sensitize to more and more things.

You may find that using the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, that it allows your child's gut to heal, and then you can add back most or all of what you had to eliminate.

As far as why they are so sensitive, all I can say is that there are more immune suppressors out there than just vaccines and antibiotics, although BRAVO for keeping your children away from them!

Some other immune syppressors are: silver fillings in the mother's mouth could have passed mercury into the unborn child, and/or gone through your breastmilk to your children, tap water with chlorine can kill good bacteria in the gut, sugar and processed foods are immune supressors, also conventional meat and poultry is laced with antibiotics and steroids, both of which are immune suppressors.

Basically, every decision we make needs to be with an eye towards whether it will boost or suppress our children's immune systems.

In Breaking the Vicious Cycle, the author explains that if the intestines are filled with yeast or microbes or mucus, then the gut can't digest starches (even rice). Since the starches aren't digested, they putrefy in the gut, feeding yeast and other unhealthy microbes. Inflammation causes the intestines to secrete mucus, which further weakens digestion. That's the vicious cycle.

Get the book. It's $22.95 at the bookstore, or you can check it out at the lifbrary - but, you'll probably want to have one of your own to keep as a reference.

HTH
Old 07-24-2005, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat
The problem is eczema on my kids, and the question is how are we going to be able to eat foods that causes flair ups. My kids were never vaccinated, and never have used anti-biotics. Yet, miserable eczema when they eat certain foods. I have found most of the trigger foods by taking food diary, and they are currently eczema free. So, why are my kids so sensitive and not able to eat those foods? I'll be happy to not ever eat diary and wheat, but concerned about other nutritional value from food that we can't eat. We had severe yeast problem since my first child was born: She had thrush, and I had yeast on my nipple(s) and fingers. Carbohydrate/rice is our weak food, but, trying to reduce. I have read about Kirkman lab when I was reading about "leaky gut" on Autism and DD. I somehow believe there is a cure and healing to eczema and want to find out "whys"
YES!!!! Sounds exactly like our story to a T.

I'm not happy that you are going through this, but I'm happy that this is finally being discussed and validated. There's not a lot of support or knowledge out there and I've mucked around for a long time not really being sure of myself and it's wonderful to now be in a community of people looking at it this way.

Penny's enthusiam about BTVC is right on... it's the first time I've seen a diet that's been clinically tested for healing the gut out of balance from bacteria and yeasts. And it's been around for over 60 years! http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...th_a_child.htm

Another idea: I've been reading on some autism boards (good to look for advice from BTDT parents on kids with leaky guts) this company is considered the best for enzyme supplementation: www.houstonni.com

You can call and get samples. The No Fenol is supposed to be fabulous for yeast issues. And other enzymes good for gluten and dairy sensitive people. Although it's not a fix, it might be helpful in the short term while you are finding something that will work for you.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:39 PM

Actually, Sierra has been on Houston's SCD Zyme Prime since starting SCD. The counselor I used suggested that she take it as her gut and digestion heal to help with absorbtion until she can do this well on her own. I already had it in the cabinet. We know that she has low levels of pancreatic enzymes from a stool sample that we sent off. The enzymes seem to be helping. Healing the gut is a slow process, but so worth the time and effort .

Peace,
Old 07-24-2005, 11:43 PM

Penny :LOL

Isn't it funny that we are doing our own research here and our paths cross?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:23 AM

Jane - Yes!

I feel like this is a calling - to help others understand this issue, and so create an awareness in the world.

Take care,
Old 07-26-2005, 11:32 AM

Thank you MOTHERS!! You are the brave solders of the today’s world! I re-encountered Mothering Magazine at a local book store when I was preparing (I quit working a year before I conceived to research about child birth and parenting) to be pregnant. My head was like a gong with loud vibration when I read Penny's article in "Quiet Place" about vaccination, then. I lost many friends who I was relying on to be my supporting net work, due to my choices on homebirth and not vaccinating the kids. For a long time, I felt so lonely not to have other mothers who shared the same view and values; that is, until I read the Mothering Magazine and found reassurance in articles. It was interesting to find an issue of Mothering Magazine I bought years ago about cloth diapering when I was in Albuquerque

I am going to read the book “Breaking the Vicious Cycle” and order the sample of chewable enzyme and probiotics (they contain natural berry and grape flavors which I don’t know if my kids can tolerate.) Bell Bottom Blue, “after a period of improvement, they continue to sensitize to more and more” was my exact fear and horror. I’m so glad to find you all here. I searched some answers on net and other web forum, but all they talked about was their speculations to their own problem and what drugs and treatment they used.

I am also planning to call my dentist about my dental work. Do Mothers of Eczema Tribe have suggestion for the stool or hair analysis? I don’t know if I can send the stool sample for analysis now, since they are symptom free. I’m wondering about the hair sample analysis, but for what benefit? Any suggestions?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:14 PM

The hair sample will tell you if your child has toxicity from heavy and toxic metals, which are depressing their immune systems. If they do, then the heavy metals depressing their immune systems will continue to allow yeast and other harmful microbes to overgrow, further weakening digestion and causing all kinds of problems.

To really understand the results of a hair test, if you have one done, I would go into "yahoogroups" and join the group called "Autism-Mercury". This group is run by author Andy Cutler, who has written books about mercury poisoning.

He gives parents very specific "rules" about how hair test results need to be interpreted - it's not necessarily simple. He also gives directions on how to safely chelate toxic metals if the results show there is a problem.

The stool sample will tell you if yeast is a problem. Some samples apparently tell you about the condition of your digestive tract, too.

JaneS and mountainmom can help you with knowing which stool sample is the best.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:26 PM

Thank you. I am so glad to meet you. My kids’ eczema is gone for now (for the first time in three years), but need a direction to find a cause/cure. I will study up on the web sites listed above and will start making yogurt.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:15 AM

Your kids are lucky to have a mom who is willing to work so hard to take good care of them.

User Tag List