Mothering Forum banner

sings of allergies?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  livinwithmcs 
#1 ·
dd is 3, and she was diagnosed with mild viral induced asthma / chronic bronchitis. she had only one episode in the 1.5 year since the diagnosis.

she was tested for allergies, and at that time the tests came negative. we do not see any food allergies in her, but she does sometimes have dark circles under her eyes (not very pronounced, dh claims he does not see them) and i was told this is a sign of allergies, though the asthma/allergist did not say anything about it.

last week, all of a sudden she started coughing and sneezing and looking sick, this lasted for about 20 -30 minutes, on and off, snot in her nose, all of a sudden. then she cleared her nose, lots of goo came out, and after that no more coughing / sneezing, and this did not progress into a cold.

does it look like she encountered something she was allergic to? we were at a hospital at that time, and the episode was over in about 25 minutes after we left the hospital. we were there for 3 hours before it started.

also, how do i know if her 'shadows' under the eyes are indeed 'allergic shiners'? i could not find any photos on line.

See less See more
#3 ·
Ds has had the shiners around his eyes and chronic sinusitis for as long as I can remember. He had his adenoids removed last year because he was snoring like a chainsaw. The snoring ceased for a few months and now he's back to it (though not quite as badly). He still has sinus infections, too, though they've stopped since I started using a saline wash in his nose.

We've just finished up some fairly extensive allergy testing because all of his signs point to allergies. Results? Nothing. Just barely on the scale for a number of things, but nothing that would cause these symptoms. I was astonished. Of course the tests aren't foolproof, but this is the second round we've had done - the last was a blood draw that also came back negative for everything.

The allergist told me that there are 4 things that cause about 95% of the cases where these symptoms occur: Allergies; structural abnormalities; some sort of issue with the immune system; and silent reflux. We've ruled out structural abnormalities and pretty much ruled out allergies. He just had blood drawn to look at his immune system. Reflux is going to be the last thing we consider. Apparently it can cause chronic respiratory problems with no indication of gastrointestinal distress. Bizarre.

Anyway, just a few things to think about and maybe to bring up with the doctor.

#4 ·
gosh, i feel so undertreated -- since her asthma (if it is asthma) is so mild, the family dr does not want to do any more referrals and is 'not concerned'. the asthma/allergist sent us back to the family dr.

she has no sinus problems, no snoring, seemingly no allergies. no one said anything about reflux or immune system. when i mentioned the shiners the nurse said that maybe she did not get enough sleep and was tired.

i will check that book. thanks.

#5 ·
Ugh...I hate to read this. I'm sorry your kiddos are going this! My son is a product of allergy "shiners" as well as the sinus-y stuffed up nose but it never produces anything. He is sensitive to corn, dairy, white refined sugar, raisins (I'm supposing it's the sugar that's on the raisins) hmm...strawberries, etc. When I eat (still nursing him at 21 months) or he eats any of the thigns that he's sensitive to he gets the circles, stuffy nose, green slimy diapers and his behavior becomes aggressive. The only way we found out what all of this was about was by taking him to our chiropractor/homeopath. He does applied kinesiology (aka muscle testing) and was able to detect the allergies that way. If you aren't familiar w/ applied kines it is where the practioner has you hold up your arm while he gives you the suggestion of "wheat". He presses gently on your arm and if it is hard to resist his pressing than it detects a weakness to your body. It's energy work basically. Anyway, since we did this when ds was abt 2 months I had to hold him and our guy would use my arm. He said that it will still work bc we share so much of the same energetic field. Anyway, I don't proclaim to be an expert but I will tell you that it works and that we have learned how to do it w/ him at home now.

The other thing is that allergy testing isn't all that reliable for very small children. I don't know why but was told by a woman that used to work for a pediatric allergist that the tests are unreliable for small children and are a waste of time and money. She said the only way to test them is by an elimination diet/diary. I like the idea of going to someone that used applied kines better bc it's easier!
You could start calling your local chiropractors and ask them if they use "applied kinesiology or "muscle testing".

Anyway, I just thought that I would throw that out there. It does sound like your dd might have allergies so please do whatever you can to help her...even if it sounds a little wackier than what you might initially be comfy w/. I can't imagine how crazy my poor son would act if I didn't figure this out....he'd probably be running around hitting everyone bc he felt so rotten! Eeks!

Good luck to you all, I know this can be frustrating and difficult until you get some answers.

Brandy

#6 ·
Sounds to me like she had a chemical sensitivity reaction to the hospital environment. With my Multiple Chemical Sensitivity hospitals are barely tolerable for me because of the strong disinfectants and other chemicals they use.

It's so interesting to me that so many people immediately consider an allergy to foods, etc. without thinking about the chemical connection to a reaction.

The person who told you to read Dr. Rapp's book is right. It WILL tell you exactly what's going on.

#7 ·
Since the immunoglobulins are made by the intestinal flora, a reduction in their strength will cause allergic reactions b/c the body cannot keep up with the assaults on its immune system.

I've read that MCS is just another manifestation of leaky gut and imbalance of probiotics. Our bodies are all wired just a bit differently and one person might get eczema while another develops colitis and a third gets MCS.

IMO the chemical connection is all in the gut. And a lot of behavioral issues as well.

"SuperImmunity for Kids" by Leo Galland MD is a good book to read as well.

P.S. if you supplement with probiotics, they also migrate to the sinuses and set up shop there. Well they are naturally there to begin with, being part of your body's mucus layer, but supplementing will increase their beneficial presence...sorry it's late

#8 ·
MCS is caused by exposure to synthetic chemicals. Candida and leaky gut syndrome could be a side effect of MCS as it is with many other illnesses but it is not the cause of MCS.

Let me add that in a way you are correct in that the chemical connection is in the gut. People with MCS cannot filter chemical toxins like regular folk. Our livers, kidneys and entire filtration/detoxification system has broken down and that's why most of us use various detoxification therapies to rid ourselves of these toxins.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by livinwithmcs
MCS is caused by exposure to synthetic chemicals. Candida and leaky gut syndrome could be a side effect of MCS as it is with many other illnesses but it is not the cause of MCS.

Let me add that in a way you are correct in that the chemical connection is in the gut. People with MCS cannot filter chemical toxins like regular folk. Our livers, kidneys and entire filtration/detoxification system has broken down and that's why most of us use various detoxification therapies to rid ourselves of these toxins.
Yes I mean to be saying the same thing. We are just approaching the same issue from different angles. The body's own immune system is responsible for not being able to process these toxins... and most of the immune system is in the gut, therefore that is what gets damaged, then results in: leaky gut or MCS or eczema, etc etc depending on the person.

And yes I have no doubt that stored toxins in the body (the liver and kidneys store them too) are contributing to the suppression of the immune system which results in MCS. In fact, I believe that is the reason for our problems: my mercury fillings have caused an overload of metals that reduces good bacteria in the gut and caused our digestive problems. I will know for sure when our blasted hair test results finally show up and I may chelate. But already since the fillings have come out, I feel incredibly better.

What kinds of therapies are you using or considering?

#10 ·
Hi Jane,

I do a quarterly bowel detox prescribed to me by my EI doctor and also have a monthly deep tissue massage to help break up the toxins. These 2 therapies have worked wonderfully for me! I just got back from Disneyworld and had only one minor reaction. 2 years ago I was reacting to everything! I almost feel normal again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.