Wheat/Gluten/Dairy/Corn/Soy/Berry-Free - Is it Possible? How???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 09-18-2005, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These are the things DS appears to be sensitive to.
I don't know yet about eggs or nightshades.

In any case, how can I feed a picky eater while eliminating wheat/gluten, dairy, soy, berries... what do I feed him? He loves and misses bread, crackers, and pasta. He also loves yogurt.

so far: granola, oatmeal, rice, rice noodles, fruit, goat yogurt/milk... he won't eat veggies; occasionally will eat chicken....

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 09-18-2005, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

also, I have to provide snacks for preschool, bc all they serve is stuff with wheat, corn syrup, and hydrongenated oil - like nilla wafers and pretzels and wheat thins.

what can I pack that is portable and storable on a shelf?
#3 of 37 Old 09-18-2005, 11:18 PM

Tinkyada Rice Pasta

It is the best. you wont know the difference

Blue Diamond Almond or hazelnut nut thins. They are different but ok.

www.enjoylifefoods.com

Thier granola kicks butt! muffin recipe on the back is great too!

Pamela's cookies a yummy too. Not all are gluten free so read your labels.

The Garden of Eating Diet cookbook is corn, dairy, soy and gluten free naturally!
We love it!
#4 of 37 Old 09-18-2005, 11:21 PM

Ohh granola and oatmeal are NOT gluten free.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
#5 of 37 Old 09-19-2005, 10:12 AM

Try this ... I have not ordered from there yet but plan to as soon as we know what else we need to eliminate (so far: peas, peanuts, corn, and soy). I like the site because you can specify what you need products to be free of and it will generate a list. And the pp is right-oats are not gluten free, although some people with wheat sensitivity can eat them.
#6 of 37 Old 09-19-2005, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanley
Ohh granola and oatmeal are NOT gluten free.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
This makes me wonder - maybe he's not sensitive to gluten, but just wheat specifically? Have you tried soaked or sprouted grains as opposed to just regular whole grains? I don't know what kinds of reactions he's having, but if he's not anaphylactic, it doesn't hurt to give it a shot - regular whole wheat products have me running to the bathroom within minutes of eating, but I'm absolutely fine if I soak or sprout my grains, or if I eat sourdough or sprouted bread as opposed to regular bread. Dd is the same.
Also, check out the Healing the Gut tribe on the health and healing pages http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=336581
Chanley, that granola looks awesome! I would be so happy not to have to make all my cereal from scratch! I'm going to talk to my hfs about getting it in.
#7 of 37 Old 09-19-2005, 02:05 PM

Indian food. Seriously. Take it up in a big way.

I can lend you an idli-steaming-thali. (It is a little carousel of metal trays with 2.5" dimples in them for putting idli batter and steaming it to make little lentil-rice cakes.)

There are delicious and colorful things you can make. Your pixie will be the envy of everyone.
#8 of 37 Old 09-19-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykidz
Try this ... I have not ordered from there yet but plan to as soon as we know what else we need to eliminate (so far: peas, peanuts, corn, and soy). I like the site because you can specify what you need products to be free of and it will generate a list.
I Miss Roben's products! They aren't cheap, but she makes some pretty awesome allergy free substitutes. Also, when if you place a big order you can get quite a few products free. We are gfcf and younger ds is allergic to peanuts, was sensitive to soy (but I think he has outgrown that, however, we still are mainly soy-free), he is also allergic to corn, and senstive to tomatoes and other acidy fruits. *****'s Dari-Free (potato "milk") is an excellent gfcfsf milk substitute for receipes requiring milk.
It is doable (not easy, but doable).
#9 of 37 Old 09-19-2005, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
urbanplanter - do you want me to move this to the allergies forum? Those ladies know a lot about this stuff.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#10 of 37 Old 09-19-2005, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe
urbanplanter - do you want me to move this to the allergies forum? Those ladies know a lot about this stuff.
Ok

Thanks, all! I'm overwhelmed!
#11 of 37 Old 09-20-2005, 02:00 AM

Check out kidswithfoodallergies.org

They have a lot of resources and people that could help you.

I've done wheat/oat/soy free before, but we were ok for dairy, corn and berries. Definitely check out the Miss Roben website... they have a lot of corn free products.
#12 of 37 Old 09-20-2005, 02:55 AM

You still have corn and that's a BIG one!!! Most of the gluten-free products we've checked out have corn so we tend to mix our own flours. BTW, oats only contain gluten if they are x-contaminated. It doesn't occur naturally, but most US facilities have been pretty careless until recently. Irish oats are gluten-free. Our ds2 is allergic to: dairy, soy, egg, nuts, peanuts, wheat, barley, buckwheat, corn, all known fruit (except possibly blueberries and he won't eat those...), mustard, quinoa, latex, white potatoes... ...

We use a mix of rice flour and tapioca and, if we have it, sorghum. Potato flour, if you can eat it, is a great flour, too. I agree that Tinkyada has some really incredible pasta. All my kids love the products. Namaste has some good mixes and the facility is completely free of dairy, nuts, peanuts, soy, egg, corn, potato, and wheat so there's no chance of x-contamination. And, as WC_hapamama said, kidswithfoodallergies is an excellent source of support...
#13 of 37 Old 09-20-2005, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moved to Allergies.

ALso, there is a great book called "THe Food Allergy Survival Guide". It has lots of recipes free of all common allergens and they are really good.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#14 of 37 Old 09-21-2005, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

so, yesterday I took ds to a "high tea" at church which had the standard staples: scones, clotted cream, tea sandwiches, etc., and tea

I said to myself "it's a party; make allowances" so ds had two scones, two brownies, and some grapes. I had three cups of yummy tea and a scone and tea sandwiches

Last night ds started playing fighting games and was hitting again!
This morning his eczema was much worse!

No more wheat!!!
#15 of 37 Old 09-21-2005, 01:34 PM

Hmmm, he's still nursing, though, right? Could be the dairy in your own diet - or for that matter, there could very well have been dairy in the scones and brownies he ate . . . just a thought
#16 of 37 Old 09-21-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

believe me, it's not dairy.

he does get a little bit of dairy typically - we've never totally excluded it; I put it in my coffee; he sometimes gets a little cheese or yogurt.

The dairy in yesterdays tea party was minimal.

clearly it is the wheat.
I've never eliminated any other food and found such drastic results.
#17 of 37 Old 09-21-2005, 01:56 PM

That's great you figured it out then! Hopefully you'll be able to start him on a road to recovery - it's not easy to avoid wheat Many people that are allergic to wheat can tolerate spelt or kamut (IF the allergy isn't gluten specifically), so hopefully that will help, as they can be easily subbed for wheat in many recipes. I just hope that you don't have to cut it out of your diet as well.
#18 of 37 Old 09-21-2005, 02:06 PM

Personally, I would cut out all gluten and grains for a period and then introduce the spelt or kamut into the diet. Just to see.
#19 of 37 Old 09-21-2005, 02:10 PM

The biggest problem with eating foods made by someone else is that we're never entirely sure of the ingredients unless they share the recipes and the labels with us.

The brownies and the scones were most probably made with both dairy and soy in addition to the wheat.

I understand that you've said:
Quote:
he does get a little bit of dairy typically - we've never totally excluded it; I put it in my coffee; he sometimes gets a little cheese or yogurt.
but this also got my attention:
Quote:
This morning his eczema was much worse!
Do you mean that he is typically dealing with some sort of break-out and it was just significantly worse after yesterday? If he getting dairy somewhat consistently, even in small amounts, it could keep his immune system revved up and responsive. For us, any sign of eczema is an indication that an allergen is present. Yesterday's incident could have been the result of several allergens in combination.

Missy
#20 of 37 Old 09-21-2005, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Personally, I would cut out all gluten and grains for a period and then introduce the spelt or kamut into the diet. Just to see.
ita! my boys do ok with spelt, but wheat (oddly enough it's just wheat, i do believe, not gluten) is totally out.

hope this is ok to ask, but is his poo diff when he gets wheat?
#21 of 37 Old 09-21-2005, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy
Do you mean that he is typically dealing with some sort of break-out and it was just significantly worse after yesterday? If he getting dairy somewhat consistently, even in small amounts, it could keep his immune system revved up and responsive. For us, any sign of eczema is an indication that an allergen is present. Yesterday's incident could have been the result of several allergens in combination.

Missy
well, I've tried total dairy elimination before, and never got such drastic results as I have in the past week or so after eliminating wheat. When I removed wheat from his diet, the eczema nearly cleared up. This morning, it flared up, and I am attributing it mainly to the wheat bc that is the one thing I have never eliminated... but what you are saying about the dairy I will definately keep in mind.
#22 of 37 Old 09-21-2005, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommaOf2
hope this is ok to ask, but is his poo diff when he gets wheat?
not sure... but dh is usually on doodie duty
#23 of 37 Old 09-22-2005, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter
not sure... but dh is usually on doodie duty

How the heck did you swing that one???

I need to come over and take notes. (tho my youngest is almost fully potty functional)
#24 of 37 Old 09-22-2005, 09:48 AM

Bean was on a similar diet and I found this cookbook helpful
www.thegardenofeatingdiet.com

She was reactive to many foods, but in the end, gluten (wheat) was her main contributor. That is what was making her so sick!

I think that had we removed gluten sooner, she would have never been so sick or reactive to everything else?
I'll never know for sure, but now she is only off gluten and we eat healthy, natural foods. We don't really eat dairy or soy because I dont' feel they are healthy and they bother my stomach.

The cookbook I recommend is naturally free of corn, soy, dairy, and all grains. It is wonderful for that confusion at the beginning of trying this new diet.

Chanley recommended it to me and she has been a blessing around our house!
Good luck!
#25 of 37 Old 09-22-2005, 09:55 AM

forgot to tell you my fave cookbook!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

it's the kid friendly allergy cookbook.
#26 of 37 Old 09-22-2005, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How the heck did you swing that one???

I need to come over and take notes. (tho my youngest is almost fully potty functional)
DH and DS have the same equipment. I told DH that he has to "demonstrate" for potty learning. So, whenever DH is around, he gets to help DS in the potty (he used to be an enthusiastic diaper changer, too ).

eta: oh, and funny enough (and lucky for me) the doodie usually arrives when dh is home :LOL
#27 of 37 Old 09-22-2005, 12:16 PM

the reason i asked is because my 3 yr old never had a normal bm until an herbalist made a tincture for him to help clean him out. it also helps him to digest the wheat faster if he gets some. i was going to suggest it if he was having problems.

realized i never told you why i was asking about your poor kid's poop. :LOL
#28 of 37 Old 09-22-2005, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

well, if it's not too much TMI, I've noticed a change in my poop since going off wheat

DS did have some trouble with pooping up until he was about 15-16 months or so, but he grew out of it somehow.
#29 of 37 Old 09-22-2005, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter
well, if it's not too much TMI, I've noticed a change in my poop since going off wheat

DS did have some trouble with pooping up until he was about 15-16 months or so, but he grew out of it somehow.
I think a lot of allergies and intolerances are "inherited" from mom because if mom isn't digesting something properly, that leaky gut syndrome occurs where the whole protein (or at least the protein not completely broken down) gets into breastmilk before the baby's digestive system is ready to handle it. At least that's how I understand leaky gut, I could be wrong.
I noticed the same thing when I first went off wheat, and like I said I can now eat it soaked (fermented) or sprouted - I actually figured out that dd's "eczema" is actually a candida rash, and both of us have a systemic candida problem which goes hand in hand with difficulty digesting wheat (for us). And of course, sugar is the absolute worst (dd reacts very strongly to sugar, especially her mood). I'd take us off grains completely until we heal, but I'm pregnant right now and don't feel comfortable going no-grain while pregnant, so I try to keep it down to two servings a day. Unfortunately, I've had a hard time being consistent enough with our diets to allow us to heal. Did you read the healing the gut thread? You may find it interesting if you're at a point where you're ready to tackle this, or even just to get a few ideas for the future.
#30 of 37 Old 09-22-2005, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

I want to go check out the HTG thread - when I have a bit more time to "digest" it - it looks like there is a lot of info there.

This is a very interesting journey.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page