Anyone Hear of a FAT INTOLERANCE?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-17-2005, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After allergy testing and elimination diets...we figured out that DD has an intolerance to fat. Apparently, she developed this from when she had rotavirus in the spring. I literally just found this out. But I don't understand it and am trying to figure out what this means. I know she can't have whole milk. But does it mean she has to be on a low-fat diet? What about oils? How long will she have this intolerance?

Does anyone know?
#2 of 5 Old 10-21-2005, 05:58 PM

Either:

A physical issue, cystic fibrosis? Or

That her gut is damaged and she is not producing the lipase enzyme to break it down. Check into enzyme supplementation, it would help all "allergies" that are the result of poor digestion and not breaking down food properly. I think some of the best are Houston's or Enzymedica Digest Gold.

I would seriously caution against a low fat diet, that is not at all healthy, especially for kids. It would effect the central nervous system, brain development, vitamin absorption, so many processes of the body.
#3 of 5 Old 10-21-2005, 06:06 PM

I have a friend who had sepsis and almost died--and as a result, her digestive system was totally messed up, so that she's now allergic to a host of things, including fat. She consumes small amounts, b/c she needs fat for fat-soluble vitamins, but it upsets her stomach pretty seriously. I believe her doctor told her that she could probably rebuild a tolerance over time, however.

I agree with JaneS, though, that low fat diets are very dangerous for kids. I think it might be worth researching an enzyme supplement that could help her break down fats.
#4 of 5 Old 10-21-2005, 11:11 PM

I have issues w/ fats, but mainly animal and trans fats. I get horrible stomach pains and diarrhea from whole milk and McDonald's French fries (of course now I've heard they also contain beef fat, so maybe that's it.) Sometimes from beef, but not always. Can handle fatty chicken no problem. Am also fine w/ extra virgin olive oil. Have you tried different fats to see which ones bother her or are you sure it's all of them? A low fat diet is dangerous for young children. It could be severely detrimental to brain development.

I always claim a milk allergy, but I can often tolerate things madwe from skim milk. I do show nasal allergy symptoms to milk products though, so I'm not sure what my issue is. I think cow products are just bad for me, and I've met other people w/ issues w/ cow and think it may be common.

If I were you, I'd stay away from aimal fats for a while and try to see if she can handle good vegetable oils and fish oils. I weaned my ds1 when he was 15 months old and it was a big mistake! He was allergic to cow's milk and we were almost vegan at that oint (still ate ish) and I was worried about his fat intake. I gave him a lot of nut butters, put extra virgin olive oil on everything and made salmon for dinner once a week. My kids love taking their lemon and strawberry flavored Norwegian fish oil capsules and they also like to eat salmon. It has been a favorite w/ both of them from an early age. In a few months try adding some other animal fats back in slowly. Good luck!
#5 of 5 Old 10-22-2005, 02:53 PM

To determine what good fats are, the research on this website has been very helpful to me: http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/index.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page