sweet potato allergy??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-09-2005, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just wondering if anyone out there has heard of anyone with a sweet potato allergy? i find that most often sweet potato is recommended as a great first food for babies. my 14 month old dd EVERYTIME she eats sweet potatoes has a violent reaction 2-3 hours later including severe vomiting. i am puzzled by the reaction considering she eats other foods that would be considered more allergenic such as dairy, beans, lentils, almond butter with absolutely no problems. any thoughts? is a sweet potato allergy really possible? i just have never heard of it before.
#2 of 15 Old 12-09-2005, 07:15 PM

Every food contains proteins and is a potential allergen. I do know of at least one child with a sweet potato allergy. Your child's reaction sounds very much like my son's reaction to bananas, which we've since learned he has a severe allergy to.
#3 of 15 Old 12-10-2005, 02:13 AM

Right now it's just an intolerance, but Evan can't have any potatos.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#4 of 15 Old 12-10-2005, 02:16 AM

But white potatoes and sweet potatoes are completely unrelated...?
#5 of 15 Old 12-10-2005, 01:57 PM

Explain that to Evan! He's reacted to both white and sweet.

#6 of 15 Old 12-10-2005, 04:37 PM

That just means he's allergic to both foods, that he has separate allergies to them.
#7 of 15 Old 12-11-2005, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy
That just means he's allergic to both foods, that he has separate allergies to them.
I know.

#8 of 15 Old 12-11-2005, 02:42 AM

Good... I didn't mean to stretch out a discussion on potatoes vs. sweet potatoes--but our little allergenic world gets a little nutso sometimes, y'know?
#9 of 15 Old 12-11-2005, 12:25 PM

It gets a lot nutso sometimes! We had Evan's birthday party yesterday and he ate rice while everyone else had pizza (excpet me) and he didn't seem to notice though. I did make a dairy, soy, egg, wheat, gluten, and nut free cake for us though that he hasn't seemed to react to so yay!

#10 of 15 Old 12-12-2005, 01:35 AM

Elle has a mild sweet potato allergy which consists of diarrhea and a diaper rash!!
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#11 of 15 Old 01-09-2006, 12:53 PM

Our son has a definite allergic reaction to sweet potatoes! As a baby he was violently sick from sweet potatoes three times on three separate occasions-months apart (we thought it was the flu - but then I just stopped buying baby food sweet potatoes.)
Now as a five year old, he has eaten sweet potatoes twice in the last two months and both times has become violently ill with a terrible amount and force of vomitting. Within about 4 hours he has bounced back - so we determined it was not the flu......

Our Dr. thinks he has some sort of gastro intestinal allergy to sweet potatoes.....needless to say we won't be giving him sweet potatoes any more.
#12 of 15 Old 02-18-2014, 05:51 PM

I also have an allergy to sweet potato. I didn't develop my allergy until I was in my forties. I am baffled by the fact that I am able to eat normal potatoes but not sweet potatoes. I am very careful when checking labels, as there are a lot of so called organic, healthy drinks which contain sweet potato. I am always very violently sick and always think I am going to die! It's the worst feeling in the world as the vomiting is relentless and I develop a fever with terrible shakes! I am going to try and research it further to determine why.

#13 of 15 Old 02-18-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If the reaction is over two hours after ingestion, it's most likely not a true allergy.  I would look into FPIES.

#14 of 15 Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks for the FPIES info!

FYI- I've seen food allergy symptoms show up 4 days after ingesting an allergenic food. Purple circles under eyes, major mucous production, cough, rash, breathing challenges, etc. I feel very lucky to not have immediate anaphylactic reactions in my kids! But the delayed reaction has made it hard to find the hidden food triggers sometimes.
#15 of 15 Old 02-18-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post

Thanks for the FPIES info!

FYI- I've seen food allergy symptoms show up 4 days after ingesting an allergenic food. Purple circles under eyes, major mucous production, cough, rash, breathing challenges, etc. I feel very lucky to not have immediate anaphylactic reactions in my kids! But the delayed reaction has made it hard to find the hidden food triggers sometimes.

Those aren't allergic reactions. "True" or IgE mediated allergies, the ones that cause anaphylaxis, happen within 2 hour typically under 30 minutes from ingestion.  All the other things you are mentioning are not signs of an allergy. An intolerance, perhaps but not an allergy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page