Why not to use vaseline for eczema? (nt) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 07-28-2008, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find this very interesting. I was diagnosed with eczema at the age of 4. I remember growing up and not knowing anyone with eczema. Anyway, in 1989 I went to Denver, CO to live at National Jewish Asthma clinic. They were doing research on eczema and I was a "test subject". I lived there from May to November. Anyway, I had some crazy tests done on my skin. It was determined that I wasn't allergic to anything! They taught me to do the wraps. I slept like a mummy for a long time until I was about 14 and we stopped going to determatologists. Anyway, I still think they don't know what they are talking about. I am now 30 and I still have eczema. During my stay at National Jewish and since then.....I have used Vaseline after EVERY shower, bath or face wash. You could say I am addicted to it. My eczema breaks out in March! Thats it only March and if I get sunburnt. Anyway, Lately I have been breaking out with abcesses on my arms, face, torso, and buttocks...not on my legs. In fact, my legs are the only place that I don't regularily lather the Vaseline after contact with water. My mom has been researching boils/ abcesses and found that one of the MAIN causes is from petroleom based products. Today after my shower, I lathered on Aveeno lotion and my skin is still smooth. My eczema is brought on by stress...I suggest taking ALL stress out of the child's life. If you feel a little stressed then your child double or triples the stress in their life. Help them relax....read the Bible, meditate, play a game...just keep them busy and they won't itch. A word from an eczema sufferer.....Thanks, Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 37 Old 07-28-2008, 03:45 AM

we will NOT use petroleum products on our bodies in my family, not in soaps, shampoos, lotions, creams, nothing.
when dd1 was a baby she had (still has) labial adhesions, the dr reccomended petroleum jelly, specifically due to its ability to MELT SKIN. his words not mine. he said all petroleum products break down skin cells
um, yeah buddy, how about not!

for our eczema we use coconut oil to soote moisturize and coat the skin.
we dont bathe more than 2-3 times a week.
we never use hot water
use only natural soaps, like those from Oregon Soap Co.
pat dry, never rub.
and watch our intake of dairy and gluten.
we also use Charlies for our laundry detergent and cleaning needs. it makes a HUGE difference

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#33 of 37 Old 07-28-2008, 04:02 AM

Something to be mindful of if you're using "natural" moisturizers is that you may also be sensitizing your child to that as an allergen.

I'm honestly not thrilled with using petroleum jelly based products on my kids, but we're already dealing with sesame, peanut, coconut and tree nut allergies.
#34 of 37 Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 AM

WC_hapamama: This is what I found as well.... In searching for a natural cream, oil, lotion I could not find any that were free of all of the things we were avoiding. We tried coconut oil and olive oil but they did not seem to help.

I opted to use Vanicream (actually, the Canadian equivalent) for a short time to help heal her skin during our TED.

My thought is that once (or if!) she reaches baseline, to try something that is non-petroleum based, then start adding some different foods back in.

I had been wondering about the use of oil as a moisturizer, but reading through this thread I think I understand that it's less of a moisturizer and more a means of keeping the water in the skin. Is this correct? Applying right after a bath/shower is what would help keep dd's skin moist?

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#35 of 37 Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 AM

Also, looking through the website for Eucerin, I don't see petroleum listed as an ingredient. It's a bit of a confusing site, so I may have missed it. Is Eucerin petroleum-based?

It seems to have quite a bit of other stuff in it that I wouldn't mind avoiding for the moment, though...

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#36 of 37 Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 AM

I am surprised so many find Vaseline works for eczema. I’ve always thought of it as a barrier (to avoid diaper rash, not cure it). I’ve never even thought to try it for DD’s eczema.

For DD, the only thing that works is steroid cream (hate to have to use them as I’ve seen first hand the damaged caused by long term use). She uses it sparingly until the outbreak is under control. Once the outbreak is under control we use eucerin (or any body lotion) on a regular basis to keep outbreaks at bay. If we notice the outbreak at the early stages eucerin will sometimes clear it up but it won’t work once it has advanced.

This works wonderfully except for my 10yo to remember to use cream regularly seems to be an issue. She’s good for a while and then slacks off until she notices an outbreak coming on … sigh
#37 of 37 Old 10-01-2008, 02:00 PM

Our allergist also told us to use Aquaphor or petroleum jelly on my DS' eczmea. The idea is to seal in the moisture that's already there so the skin doesn't get dried out. He recomended using it after a 15 min. soak in the tub. He also prescribed a steroid cream, but steriods have a way of thinning the skin over time and thin skin on the knees and elbows is not good for a little boy!
So, of course there was no way I was going to put that stuff on his skin so I use a cream called Lantiseptic. It's lanolin in a beeswax base and it is like a miracle for his skin. Lanolin as many of you know, is the closest substance to your body's natural oil and the beeswax helps seal the moisture in. It's a bit sticky, but I find that helps keep his hands away to prevent scratching it. We put it on at night and put him in footie pajamas so he can't get to his legs or back, where he scratches most often. When we first began using this stuff I took his pj's off the third morning and cried because his skin looked so beautiful. We've been battling it for a year and I was starting to think he'd never have normal skin again. I highly recomend it.

ETA: Latiseptic does have petrolatum and mineral oil in it, but it's 50% lanolin, then from most to least are beeswax, fragrands HEEDTA, lanolin alcohol, mineral oil, oxyquinoline, petrolatum. Then just the misc. like purified water, sodium borate, and sorbitan swsquioleate.
So, if you're looking to avoid them entirely this is not the cream for you, but they are in such small amounts here as opposed to pure petroleum jelly or Aquaphor which is a petroleum jelly base, that I am comfortable using them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page