dairy allergies and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2003, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello,

I want to get some thoughts on this, any experiences, etc.

DH has allergies galore. And recently we've discovered that he has an intollerance to dairy. bummer, no cheese.

I've experienced lactose intollerance, but not for many years, I think I may have had leaky gut syndrome in the past.

While PG I've been eating what I feel like, trying to stay away from sugary stuff - but that's my regular burden. I'm not eating any fast food, fried stuff, things like - mostly oatmeal, brown rice, chicken, hardboiled eggs - trying to up the protein. But, I still crave chocolate chip cookies - so, on occasion, I try to get the kind where the 1st and 2nd ingredients ARE NOT sugars. It's not every day, maybe once a week. Over all, it's pretty healthy.

Except, that there's this question of dairy. I don't eat dairy every day, but I'll go on this binge for a week wanting dairy. And this last week I noticed that I was feeling bloated, my uterus was sore and I couldn't sleep, joint pains more than "usual" (what's usual? every day is different, so it's hard to tell if it's a new symptom or something I ate).

My ND tells me that the baby's remedy will come through and there will be symptoms that just aren't "me". And I think this dairy thing is it. I stopped to think a bit, and it's been getting pretty uncomfortable - and I've got 3 months to go w/a lot of projected growth, right! whew. So, I thought about what I'd eaten in the last 4-5 days - mostly dairy. MOSTLY. So, the next day, I cut out all dairy - cold turkey. And the bloating and tenderness went away. Whoa, I practically slept through the night! I was going to give it a few more days to be sure - but considering how many days it was going on, and how abruptly things changed after cutting it out, I think I've discovered the problem.

What I want to know is, does anyone have similar experiences? Either while pg, after the babe is born, the babe's experiences or just in general?

This is pretty cut and dry to me, and I don't think I've ever experienced such a change - could be the profoundly strange state of being pregnant. And I do think it's related to the babe - I just hope I haven't given him some sort of problem by ingesting dairy for him. Ah, the guilt of motherhood...

thanks for your inputs.

Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2003, 09:40 PM

Definately stop the dairy!!!
When I was pg with ds I would get sick when I ate dairy. Mostly nausea. I didn't put it together right away because I didn't read labels very well in order to realize I was eating hidden dairy. As pg went on I just tried to ignore it because (this was before I got a clue: ) I assumed I had to have lots of dairy to have a healthy baby. Turns out I made ds's early months pure hell. He is very, very, very allergic to dairy. To the point he couldn't play with other babies much when he was little because contact with their spit up would make him throw up, break out in hives-everything. It was awful.
American Acadamy of Pediatrics is even getting concerned enough to say that pregnant women with a history of allergies in the family, like you, should avoid peanuts and possibly other nuts for the last trimester and while nursing. They don't want to say dairy too because they "believe the health risks are outweighed by dairy's superiour nutritional benefits." What the...???!!
So, to shorten my brief tirade, if it you suspect a problem, listen to your mama wisdom. It can't hurt.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

that makes me feel better

I was pretty weary of the Brewer Blue Ribbon Baby diet, it has tons of dairy, made me think that perhaps the site was supported by the dairy counsil. I showed it to my ND's, they all thought it was an excessive amount of dairy.

I hope they don't mean almonds, technically, they're seeds. It's really helping w/my heartburn. But, I'll keep an eye on it. One thing at a time.

Cheers,

Lori
Old 02-03-2003, 04:18 AM

In defense of Dr. Brewer; I just wanted to mention that he is trying to appeal to the majority of women when he created the Brewer Diet. I thought you might find this page on his site of interest:

http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/originofdiet.html

His new book is supposed to go into alternatives.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info, I'll check into it!

Lori

User Tag List