ya wanna talk about eczema some more? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-06-2003, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there are quite a few mamas of eczema/food allergic babies out there, I was wondering how everyone was faring, any new discoveries?

My dd is now 16 mo. Her eczema looks better lately. She recently weaned (she led the way....) , I have been giving her about 1 t ground flax seeds daily. It is much easier to control her diet now than both mine and hers, so if she really has an outbreak, I know where to look. I found a couple of good books recently, one is "What's to eat? a milk free egg free nut free cookbook" Another book was specifically about caring for your food allergic child, a very good read, talks about how to cope in the real world, esp with schools, going on vacation, how to handle the guilt, etc. I can't remember the name of it, and the book is out in the car right now, it's too cold to go get it right now, but I'll post the real name of it next time.

Anyway, She has also had breathing dificulty and prolonged colds. No one has diagnosed asthma yet, but that's what she has when she gets sick, which luckily isn't often.

I recently spoke with a homeopathic lady at a regular pharmacy that we go to, she recommended flaxseed oil and acidopholis powder, which we've only been doing for a couple of days. She seems to think the food allergies stem from digestive problems.

I've been giving dd long baths everyday, followed by cetaphil cream and either elidel or some steroid cream if it's really really bad. But I try to stay away from the RX if I can.

dd has also had some viral and bacterial infections on her hand and eye recently. The dermatologist said that since her skin is constantly open, it is very suseptable to all sorts of infection.
#2 of 6 Old 02-06-2003, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jtsmom

Anyway, She has also had breathing dificulty and prolonged colds. No one has diagnosed asthma yet, but that's what she has when she gets sick, which luckily isn't often.

Our chiropractor has mentioned that eczema and asthma are connected--your post reminded me that I wanted to look into that some more. I'll post what i find if you're interested.

My dd's skin has cleared up very well lately...however, now her eyes are itchy and she rubs them so much that she's lost almost all of her beautiful, long eyelashes.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#3 of 6 Old 02-07-2003, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I know that eczema/allergies and asthma are all related, but our dr has told us that since her eczema is so bad, she probably won't get the others very severely.

One of my dd eyes is red lately, too, like the eczema is on her eyelid.: It doesn't seem to bother her much though.
#4 of 6 Old 02-14-2003, 10:40 PM

Hi - I just posted some thoughts on two other threads regarding eczema and NAET - we have had a long battle with severe eczema and have won! I wanted so share what we have learned and hope it works for you as well --

In our case it is all food and environmental allergies - we were able to rid my ds of ALL of it in over 1 1/2 year of NAET treatments to cure over 50 allergies -

It was so worth it --

And yes, if you supress the eczema enough with topical steroids, it eventually will manifest itself as asthma - the immune system really wants to get your attention that it is NOT going to continue being bombarded with all the foods,chemicals,etc it can't deal with...

So - try www.naet.com - I reccomend the bookm titles something like "Say Goodbye to your Children's Allergies" - also, read case histories and find a practitioner near you

Try a barrier cream - petroleum based calendula worked for us to keep itching to a minimum

Long baths actually make it worse - we bathed 1X week for over a year! Especially if there is chlorine in your water...

Sudocreme is a cream out of England that also helped - any friends in Europe? Or try to get on the internet.

Try to eliminate some of the worst food offenders, and see if that helps - dairy, bananas, shellfish, strawberries, citrus, chocolate (our list went on forever, but these are a good start) Also - dust,mold,detergents,creams, anything smelly,food color,processed food are culprits - it can get discouraging if you look at the whole list - but just start with one things every three days so you can be sure of what it is.

Do whatever you can to boost flax seed oil or cod liver oil intake to build a strong immune system

Good luck and let me know if I can answer any specific questions for you...
#5 of 6 Old 02-16-2003, 07:45 PM

My dh has been concocting new lotion bars that ds likes to help spread around. They are great. I am not sure he used a real recipe lol! I know he started with a massage bar recipe and used oils we have had good luck with in the past. He melted down beeswax, olive oil, grape seed oil, and some others. It made a solid bar that goes on kinda like the solid ski wax, or a tube of lip creme. I give a bar to ds and ask him to get the itchy spots first. This has been good lately cuz he got into something I am still trying to pinpoint (I hate that!). We all use it for everything!
I am at the point where it is nice to watch him learn to take some control in managing his own health.
#6 of 6 Old 02-17-2003, 07:18 PM

Hi everyone,
I looked at the NAET website but could not figure out quite how it works. There are no practitioners in Germany anywhere close to me. I would consider traveling, but I also wonder about the cost, a sigle mom with virtually no income.
My son right now is on a steroid cream, I am trying to eliminate all kinds of things (right now dairy, eggs, cutting down on sugar),
and I am giving oils in his food (linseed ?), bought a humidifier, bathe only once a week...etc.. Would getting the NAET book help you to figure things out for yourself? Would going once be enough to find out about the allergies? Would love to know more before spending money, but I have tried so much (homeopathy and conventional) that I am a bit at a loss. Thanks so much for sharing, I felt guily about posting about eczema before because others seem to have done it a lot, but am glad you brought it up again.
Love and FREEDOM from the ITCHIES for everyone,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page