NAET - I know a lot of people who are doing it, but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2006, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
really, does it really work?
We are all skeptics.
I have been doing NAET on my son since the end of January.
Lately I've been finding myself wondering if it's all a hoax.
Is there anyone here who can attest to its validity???
I know at least half a dozen mamas who are doing NAET on their kids who would love to know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 04:02 PM

You can find out more by searching for NAET within the Allergies forum. It seems some people have had success with it when nothing else worked-same with NMT.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 AM

I am not a mother, I am a father and after reading your post thought i might be of help. I what i say does not work in your world then tell me no and I will move on. Fair enough?
I have tried all kinds of therapy with little results. I have been recieving treatments of NAET fro 2 months now. I have had muliple food sensitivities removed, 4 year cronic back pain removed in three sessions, many emotional issues resolved once and for all. I am continueing on a quest for physical and emotional health with great success thru the NAET treatments.

I hope this will encourage you.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM

I tend more to Western medicine, so I'm not a big fan of NAET. If you do a big of googling, you can find various articles against NAET, such as http://www.chirobase.org/06DD/naet.html.

But if someone feels they're getting a benefit from it, I don't begrudge them that at all. If you don't think you're getting results, though, you might want to look into other options. Nothing works for everyone.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 12-29-2008, 01:20 PM

2 or so years ago, we did it with no success. For various reasons, I recently went back to give it another go (with another practitioner). Again, no luck. And in fact, it left me even more skeptical. PM me if you want details.

ETA: I didn't realize this thread was from 2006!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My half-brother just had new version done, with computer hook up? It sounded odd to me, but he explained it was supposed to be more accurate or something. He's been lactose intolerant for a couple of years. He said that the machine said he was reacting to lactic acid (or all acids, or something). It did something to him (this was just 2 weeks ago) and he's been having ice cream, yogurt, milk, everything ever since. Now if he were truly lactose intolerant, he wouldn't be producing the enzyme, so how does that work? He was "diagnosed" as lactose intolerant by naturopath doing muscle testing. So maybe he wasn't lactose intolerant in the first place? I just don't get how you could start producing the enzyme again if that's the issue.

When I was considering it last year, I asked too. There are people who swear by it, and people who've had no success. It doesn't seem like there's a middle ground with it.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 12-30-2008, 03:41 PM

I have had great results with NAET for myself and have switched to BioSet which is similar but more in depth with allergy clearings and digestive enzymes.

There are some IgE allergies though that cannot be cleared like severe peanut allergies for example.
But seasonal allergies, inhalant allergies, some food allergies can completely disappear. It is also a lifestyle change.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:46 PM

do you think you could describe the naet and/or bioset a little more? it sounds too good to be true
Old 01-11-2009, 12:19 AM

Hi
I am almost sure that NAET does not work. We were desperate for a cure for my 9-year-old son's allergies, the most severe is tree nuts which sent us to the ER twice. We do not live near California so we started seeing a practitioner that was recommended on Dr. Devi's Nambutprad (founder of NAET) website. I took my son over an hour away once a week for his treatments. She followed Dr. Nabudripad's protocol. We paid $70 a visit for months. We were obsessive about avoiding the allergens he was "cleared" of for 25 hours. Sometimes he would even miss school in order to avoid coming in contact with the allergens. His practitioner assured us that he was clear of his allergies and even wanted him to start eating nuts which could be fatal. Thank God we did not let him eat nuts and decided to wait and see how his yearly blood test results were. Because the Nambudripad's book stated that sometimes it takes months for the blood to show the results of the NAET treatment, we were not discouraged when my son's blood test showed that he still had allergies. After a year, his allergies had still not cleared. I don't mind the money and time spent on NAET as much as how I gave my son false hope. He was devastated when I told him that he was still allergic to nuts. Another year has passed. We just received more blood test results and his allergies have gotten worse. I have called and e-mailed his practitioner and of course, no response. I have also e-mailed Dr. Devi Nambutripad three times. The first time, someone from her office responded that she was out-of town and that was the only response I received. It is heartbreaking enough for my son to have to be on such a strict diet and miss out on play dates and parties. I keep beating myself up for being so naive and letting him get his hopes up because telling him that all those treatments were for nothing was the biggest heartbreak of all.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Check out www.bioset.net

To explain it a little more, it has allergy elimination, and organ clearings. They use similar NAET techniques with kinesiology for testing. Practitioners will provide vitamins or minerals if needed along with digestive enzymes, probiotics, herbs, or sometimes homeopathy.
Some practitioners use a computer for testing and clearings.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:07 PM

Noosmom~ That NAET practitioner doesn't sound so professional. Yikes even my practitioner told me not to eat nuts after clearing me to them! Certain allergies just can't be cleared! That's too bad you had such a bad experience.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:48 PM

May I be the lone voice of dissent here. I'll start by saying that I don't have true "allergies" to foods, at least nothing that Western medicine can identify. However, after spending 4 days out of 7 in the doctor's office trying to figure out why I was having asthmatic attacks when I don't in fact have asthma, a friend recommended I give NAET a try. By that point I was completely dependent upon inhalers to breath, and was having to use them several times a day (after every time I ate, it turns out). 2 NAET treatments removed the dependence on the inhalers, and that was almost 8 years ago now.

The friend who recommended that practitioner to me had an anaphylactic shellfish allergy when I met her and the last time I saw her she was eating shrimp, having discovered a love for them. I will say though that the practitioner when dealing with her anaphylactic allergy made her test the allergy in her office, not on her own.

I just recently started having a similar asthmatic reaction and am back on the inhalers. I no longer receive NAET treatments (I've moved away from my practitioner and the local one I've met I didn't care for), so we've been slowly doing eliminations to try to locate the culprit(s) with the help of an acupuncturist, and at this point it seems to be something I've never been treated for (cow's milk). I would happily go back to NAET treatments if I could find a local practitioner I liked.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 01-12-2009, 12:27 AM

knsarchik
I am glad that your allergies have improved. Are you really "cleared" of nut allergies. I am going to look into BioSet....Thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Noosmom~ "Cleared" yes, however I still react to nuts. It is just something that will not change, except that it's likely that my reactions could be less severe, but I'm not going to run out and test it.

Like a PP said, I too have been able to get off of asthma meds and have been able to be in a room full of animals where in the past I wouldn't be able to breathe. I can also eat plenty of foods now that I couldn't in the past.

Because of my success with NAET my mother, who is an RN, went and got training in BioSet because she saw how much it helped me and she wanted to be able to help people naturally. She is having great success with her patients getting them off of a variety of medications, healing their chronic pains, freeing them of allergy suffering, etc.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:29 PM

k9sarchik
I see you have a dog. Did you ever have dog allergies and were cleared of them? We have a doberman pinscher and have just found out that they are one of the most allergic dogs. My other son has become very allergic to dogs and I wouldn't dream of giving my dog away. Am now looking at all our options. Do you think BioSet would work. Thanks again
Old 01-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Noosmom,
could I ask how long you did treatments for your child? Did you have to do a basic panel first? And then the treenuts? Did you go back after the nut treatment to see if the treatment "held". Sometimes you can be cleared, but subsequent exposure to the item may cause the treatment to not hold, and I think you have to treat it again, and sometimes the really severe allergies could take a while. Did you treat the nut allergy more than once? What about the other things treated, would you say any other issues were resolved for your son, if he had any (behavioral, skin, etc.)??
Old 01-16-2009, 02:46 AM

Noosmom~ Bioset is a a long term treatment regime. It takes a lot of time and patience. But the results, I think, are worth it.

I am VERY allergic to dogs. I can't get cleared to them at all. Seems to be an emotional connection. My DS is also allergic to the dog and we don't let DS come in contact with the saliva. For whatever reason we are both able to live with the dog without much trouble though. However, the next dog I get will be a non-shedding breed.
I feel that living with animals is beneficial to the immune system even if you are allergic to them.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:20 AM

Faithnhope,
My son went for about 20 treatments. Nut was second to last. My practioner said that she had to clear all his other allergies to boost his immune system befor treating for nuts and shellfish. His blood test results show many allergies and none have been resolved. Other than, anaphylaxis from nuts his only other symptoms are brief and rare bouts of asthma(has not improved) and severe eye infections, which have actually gotten a lot worse since his naet treatments. I do, however, think that is just coincidence.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 PM

noosmom,
thanks for your reply. your experience really interests me. I can understand that severe anaphlaxis allergy may not ever be resolved, but you say the practitioner assured you he was cleared? How many times did you treat nuts? And the muscle testing showed he was cleared even after several weeks? I mean with a severe allergy such as that one, naturally you would tread carefully. So you never actually tried even tiny amounts of the nuts with him until you took the allergy tests? if that was some time later, it could be that the allergy crept back? I am under the impression it is important to introduce at least some of the allergen, because if they cleared it, then the body/mind will imprint and remember the friendly reaction. So it is possible that by avoiding the nuts initially for a time was not a good thing. But the practitioner should have took steps to try the nuts a little at a time with the precautions necessary in case of a bad reaction. you never know, it may be that the allergy still shows, but if he had the nut, the allergic reaction may not have been anaphlactic or severe, but on a lesser scale? They do say that some allergies need a booster every now and again. Did you notice any other health improvements or behavioral improvements (if he had any) while treating the other 20 things prior to that? I am just speculating here, because I'm surprised because you say the practioner was l isted on the NAET website, otherwise I would have said they may have not been properly trained or experienced. Did they have advanced training? I have heard that the exerience of the practioner is key. I would have persisted in trying to get in touch with her after spending all that time and money. Why do you think she would not return the call?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 PM

Any other reports/experience with NAET?

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:10 PM

we have spent over $1500.OO on bioset and n.a.e.t treatments. We have followed the protocols and the chiropractor says he has been cleared. after the first few treatments i noticed improved energy levels... but after a year my son's eczema and puffy eyes are the same. we had high hopes but are disappointed. debating returning for the next two clearings... and she wants to test him for more allergies. she estimated 10 clearings and we are up to fifteen.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:20 PM

Yikes - cha-ching. I would try avoidance and gut healing... do you at least know what all the triggers are?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 PM

By reading the experience of other parents of kids with IgE mediated allergies, I think it's safe to say that NAET doesn't work on people with IgE mediated allergies, hence I won't be trying it on my kids.

That said, from what I've heard from parents of kids with food intolerances, NAET does actually work on some of those kids. Obviously not on celiac disease, but on other intolerances parents have reported some success.

Avoidance is what helped my oldest child outgrow roughly 1/3 of his food allergies. Time and avoidance.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:32 AM

This is an interesting thread (even though it started 2 years ago lol) for me, since we were just looking up information on NAET tonight.

My SIL (my husband's brother's wife) has celiac disease and is highly allergic to just about everything. She's gone on more elimination diets than you can count. She was down to about 3 foods that she was able to eat, then found she was allergic to those as well. There's literally almost nothing she can eat without it making her sick.

I don't know exactly what she's tried or hasn't tried, in terms of gut healing or whatever else. I only know she just keeps getting worse and worse.

Today she posted on her Facebook status that she had her first NAET treatment today. She said it was interesting, but she's still skeptical.

DH hadn't heard of NAET before (I had), so he looked it up and spent the better part of the evening scoffing.

I'm skeptical too. But I can see a tiny spark of reasoning behind it... or possibly, the kind of thing like "it works but not for the reasons they think it does" or "it works but we don't really understand why" -- like most of medical science through the centuries!

So I'm withholding judgement. I would not be at all surprised if it is all a big quackery. But I wouldn't be surprised, either, if it works -- at least for some people, some of the time.

For the sake of my poor SIL, I'm hoping that it is legit. She could use some respite.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 07-07-2009, 02:30 PM

We're working with an acupuncturist who does NAET, but we're long-distance now, so it's just phone consults. She's recommended, and we're going to try, NAET for my husband with someone local. From my discussions with her, she feels that it works _if_ the root cause has been identified and you've got supportive things in place to heal. One of her examples to me, she had a patient who had issues with wheat, but his underlying issue was the same as mine, our amalgams have messed with us in a lot of ways, and until we deal with that, NAET would help a bit, but the same underlying stresses were still there and would then re-create the same problem.

She thinks we're on the right track for DH, and I did see improvement for a few months before a really stressful deadline at work undid all the progress, so I'm hopeful that NAET can help boost him along.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 AM

How strange... I went to NAET after having two really bad allergic reactions from eating peanuts/peanut butter.  First, there was something very basic I was reacting to, and he cleared that first.  I woke up the next morning feeling like I could breathe for a change.  Then he cleared the peanuts.  I was scared to try them later, thinking, but what if he didn't clear the allergy after all?  The reaction I had to them before had been so bad, I didn't dare chance it.   Then one day I forgot and ate something with peanuts in it.   Realizing too late what I had done, I waited to see if I was going to swell up and choke to death while getting large whelps all over my face like a prize fighter. I warned my friends to watch me and call 911....  But nothing happened, I felt fine.  I was shocked and relieved, and wondered how it could have worked so well.   I suppose it does work for some people, perhaps even with nut allergies...  but I can believe it's not for everybody.  I wish Western Medicine could get better at helping people instead of just taking a lot of money and writing drug prescriptions, then maybe scams wouldn't have such a chance to take hold.  But in this case I'm glad I tried it, since it worked for me.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniefannie View Post

How strange... I went to NAET after having two really bad allergic reactions from eating peanuts/peanut butter.  First, there was something very basic I was reacting to, and he cleared that first.  I woke up the next morning feeling like I could breathe for a change.  Then he cleared the peanuts.  I was scared to try them later, thinking, but what if he didn't clear the allergy after all?  The reaction I had to them before had been so bad, I didn't dare chance it.   Then one day I forgot and ate something with peanuts in it.   Realizing too late what I had done, I waited to see if I was going to swell up and choke to death while getting large whelps all over my face like a prize fighter. I warned my friends to watch me and call 911....  But nothing happened, I felt fine.  I was shocked and relieved, and wondered how it could have worked so well.   I suppose it does work for some people, perhaps even with nut allergies...  but I can believe it's not for everybody.  I wish Western Medicine could get better at helping people instead of just taking a lot of money and writing drug prescriptions, then maybe scams wouldn't have such a chance to take hold.  But in this case I'm glad I tried it, since it worked for me.

Were you actually tested for peanut by an allergist? How do you know it wasn't something else you were reacting to?  Peanuts are often x-con with other nuts so it could have been anything.  Also, if it was your first reaction and you have eaten peanuts prior with no issue I would think it was something else you were reacting to.  IF NAET worked for IgE allergies, Western Medicine would be all over it!  As it is, the NAET practitioners here where I live charge outrageous rates, require so many visits it's unreasonable and don't offer ANY medical support when a person DOES try and "allergen" which to me is the most scary part of it all.  Down right dangerous.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Count me out.  If NAET works, then it is a mind-body cure I think.  That makes it difficult for habitual skeptics like me to make it work.  I'm open-minded enough not to argue with others whose experience leads them to believe otherwise, but not so much that I can be convinced.  I think my other reservations have to do with the extensiveness of my allergies and the severity of my daughter's.  I prefer the western approach in this instance. Please take this post as a personal opinion only.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 01-14-2012, 08:52 AM

You will probably have a hard time convincing me that my sister’s baby was cleared of her reaction to milk products because of a psychosomatic reaction to a NAET treatment. How in the world could a 9 month old be told, ”This is going to make you better, so…”

If my sister had a steak cooked in butter that was enough dairy to cause the baby to respond negatively the next time she nursed. Reactions ranged from whining just after nursing (probably an upset tummy) to completely losing her meal. For the argumentative among you, babies are generally the happiest after nursing. Full tummy, lots of attention, clean diapers, etc…

The Dr. treated the baby for milk and the next day Christy tested the treatment with an entire weekend of dairy ranging from ice cream to pizza with cheese, etc.

The baby never showed another issue.

All of the kids have been treated now and have all had various milk tolerance issues. They are all gone. (Among reactions to numerous other food and environmental allergens)

I believe even the 3 year old could have some placebo effect from believing that she should feel better, though not much of one. That might work for a day or two, but months later she’s still clear.

The success stories are abundant. I’m sure there are failures as well, but the list of the people that I now know about who have benefited keeps growing.

Oh, and the remark about, “if it worked, western medicine would be all over it.” Tell that to the chiropractic world. I think we can be pretty sure that it works, and “western medicine” is still regularly opposed to it.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I find it fascinating that all these NAET supporters come here, post once on this subject on a 5 month old subject and don't ever show up again.

User Tag List