how not to have an allergic child - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 216 Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find water kefir very easy. Any fruit or flavoring and a sugar can be used. Favorites are a water kefir lemonade with just lemon juice and sugar. Gingerade, with fresh ginger. Vanilla with vanilla extract and sugar, which is nice blended with sparking mineral water when it's done to make vanilla soda. These are ideas from Eat Fat, Lose Fat. There is an MDC mama in the Traditional Foods forum that sells water kefir grains, perhaps she has some more easy ideas.

I am very anti-soy milk with its processed isoflavones/plant estrogens.
Huge amount of research study references here:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...s_/ai_n6110588

Soy and Male Development
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/phytoestrogens.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 216 Old 11-13-2008, 01:18 AM

http://www.celiac.com/articles/21685...ase/Page1.html

Gut Bacteria (and vitamin D) Linked to Celiac Disease (and oral tolerance)

Quote:
Fecal micrflora from both active and, notably, treated, symptom-free celiac children caused a significant increase in pro-inflammatory cytokine production and a decrease in anti-inflammatory IL-10 production in the peripheral blood mononuclear cell cultures compared to the fecal microflora from healthy children. However, cultures co-incubated with the Bifidobacterium strains exhibited a suppression of the pro-inflammatory cytokine production and an increase in IL-10 production. IL-10 is a cytokine which promotes immune tolerance.

The scientists concluded that the makeup of the gut flora of celiacs may contribute to pro-inflammation in celiac disease, possibly in a synergy with gliadin, and that certain strains of Bifidobacterium appear to suppress and reverse pro-inflammatory effects and offering therapeutic opportunities for the treatment of celiac disease.

It would have been interesting if the scientists had also investigated the effect of adding vitamin D to the fecal microflora and the peripheral blood mononuclear cell cultures. It is likely the addition of vitamin D might also have resulted in a suppression of pro-inflammatory cytokine production and an increase in IL-10 production. This is borne out by experiments with Mycobacterium tuberculosis and its culture filtrate antigen in peripheral blood mononuclear cell cultures where the addition of vitamin D resulted in a suppression of pro-inflammatory cytokine production and an increase in IL-10 production.[4] It is possible that celiac disease may be entirely prevented in infancy by routinely administrating prophylactic doses of vitamin D and probiotics containing specific strains of Bifidobacterium before gluten is introduced into the infant's diet. The vitamin D and Bifidobacterium strains may provide an IL-10 anti-inflammatory environment in which the immune system learns to respond tolerantly to gluten, forever preventing the onset of celiac disease.
#213 of 216 Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 AM

Jane, what about other soy products, such as those used in Japanese food? Is it just the milk? I've been trying to get my husband off soy for years, but he needs a good push and that study you linked might be the trick.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#214 of 216 Old 11-13-2008, 09:44 AM

posting to sub
#215 of 216 Old 11-13-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
http://www.celiac.com/articles/21685...ase/Page1.html

Gut Bacteria (and vitamin D) Linked to Celiac Disease (and oral tolerance)

Yes, but, baby gets bifidum bacteria from mama's milk at birth and (if) mama has vit D stores or exposes baby to adequate sunlight, baby gets vit. D. From everything I've read, vit D is stored in the bones and available to baby.

Are you suggesting that nursing mamas refrain from gluten exposure and that by consuming gluten, that triggers the celiac? Is celiac less common at the Equator?

Confused.

Pat

I have a blog.
#216 of 216 Old 11-13-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post
Jane, what about other soy products, such as those used in Japanese food? Is it just the milk? I've been trying to get my husband off soy for years, but he needs a good push and that study you linked might be the trick.
Everything that I've read is that only fermented soy is ok. A lot of Japanese soy foods are fermented, I believe.

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page