how not to have an allergic child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
 
mclisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: loving my scrapbooks!
Posts: 5,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
any info out there about what to do in pregnancy so as not to have an allergic child? I have one who is allergic to over 15 things and I don't want to have that happen again.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
mclisa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-19-2006, 04:29 PM
 
Wolfmeis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pugetopolis
Posts: 3,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
short answer: it is the luck of the draw. you can help minimize the baby's exposure in utero but you cannot prevent your child from being atopic.

that's the beginning of the long answer. you don't inherit allergies you inherit being atopic, which is the propensity for being allergic.

My advice to you would be to avoid nuts, peanuts and shellfish while pregnant, and milk while nursing. Make a commitment to your baby to nurse as long as he needs. Your breastmilk can help the budding immune system protect the child against over reacting to antigens. Hold off on food at ALL while the baby is under 8 months of age, if you can, and then keep the big allergens away from the child until she's nearly three.

Basically, you're trying to prevent any food challenges to an immune system you KNOW by experience will be prone to over-reacting. Let the child develop without any major allergy freakouts until he's old enough (most allergist suggest three years old) to withstand it without it becoming a big problem.

This is what I did with babies two and three, and number two has outgrown initial positives to corn, egg and milk. Baby three shows some sensitivities to soymilk, but has never had so much as a speck of eczema. dd1 remains anaphylactic to peanuts, walnuts and pecans, tests positive to shrimp, but has outgrown her allergies to soy, egg, corn, milk, and some other things.
Wolfmeis is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 08:08 PM
 
JenniferKSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been wondering the same thing and hope to have my answer in a few months LOL

My son Aiden is allergic to wheat, barley, soy, egg and peanuts (we aren't sure yet about tree nuts yet).

With this pregnancy I have tried to eat a variety of things - no excessive wheat consumption (tried to balance with other grains and rice). I have avoided peanuts (something I didn't do with my first pregnancy - in fact, I thought peanut butter was a good protein substitute until I read in my 7 mo that it could cause allergies). I have probably had tree nuts just a few times. I do have milk products, but in limited quantities. But first and foremost, I have severely limited the amount of soy in my diet. I have read in numerous places that it can be related to peanut allergies. All in all, as a family we are eating much less processed food because of Aiden's allergies and I hope they will be of benefit to our newest arrival.

I agree with the PP that it really is a spin on the Genetic Wheel of Fortune and with our family history, I think our wheel may be defective! Now, having said all of that - I have two fears. The first being that this child will have allergies that are opposite of Aiden's - I think meal time is difficult as is now! The other being, that no matter what I do - this child will have a peanut allergy. I complain about allergies, but it's the possible ana reactions that have me scared to death!

I will fill you in as I learn and good luck!

PS There is also the school of thought that if you introduce them to grain cereals before the recommended 6 mo of age that they will be less likely allergic to them. However, the one article I read did not mention if the children were being breastfed or not. Because children that are breastfed are generally exposed to grains unless parent is on elim diet.

Momma to DS1 (4) - allergic to wheat, rye, barley and eggs
and DS2 (3) - allergic to all legumes, egg, soy, peanuts and tree nuts
JenniferKSwan is offline  
Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 PM
 
craftymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did A LOT of research on this after my older ds's allergies became apparent. He was allergic to rice, oats, and wheat and has had a late-phase skin test reaction to peanut. His reactions were all late-phase gastro. He has outgrown wheat and oats, is rather afraid of rice, and has had 1 peanut butter cookie. He is 6.5.

You might want to contact FAAN, also look at POFAK online. PM me if you need more info re: those 2, but you should be able to find them both online. POFAK is a great resource, btw.

I followed (this was 4 years ago, so things may have changed!) a no peanuts/tree nuts/fish/shellfish/limited dairy, egg, and wheat diet while pg with ds2. I already ate limited rice due to ds1's allergy.

Well, to prove the crapshoot, ds2 ended up reacting to the following things through breastmilk: dairy, tomato, potato, possibly chocolate. My diet was hugely made up of tomato and potato--I probably ate at least 1, if not both, every day! He can now eat cheese, cooked tomato, potatoes, and chocolate. He has had 1 bite of raw tomato. He is 3.5. Neither ds will drink milk.

If we do it again, I will eliminate/limit those foods most likely to cause anaphylaxis, and maybe try to rotate my diet a bit more, but we assume another would have allergies, based on family history! Try yoour best, but don't feel like a failure if it doesn't work. We can't control genes!
craftymom is offline  
Old 06-20-2006, 10:23 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've also read that for reasons that they haven't entirely figured out yet, babies born my c-section have a higher rate of allergies and asthma.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
Old 06-21-2006, 06:27 PM
 
Cinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our ped suggested that you let your kids get dirty, have fun, if something falls on the floor don't rush to clean it off, eating a little dirt is good, basically make their immune system work, breastfeed, delay solids, etc etc etc...

My DS(2) had excema when he was born, honest to God...and he still does today, and he has/had asthma like response (stupid term imo) to colds but seems to be outgrowing that, hasn't needed albuterol since November...

My DD (4 in september) was breast fed till about 3 weeks ago, didn't start solids till she was 11 months old, didn't eat them on a daily basis till 15 months old, etc etc etc...when we did start solids she was allergic to 3 out of the first 6 things...she had seasonal allergies her first summer at 8 months old...and just las week she was diagnosed with asthma. Luckily though it's all either minor or she outgrew it (the food allergies, in which only one was severe)...but still...

I have severe allergies and asthma, DH has hay fever and excercise induced asthma, so we expected it, but we tried our hardest to avoid it, it just didn't seem to work.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
Cinder is offline  
Old 06-21-2006, 06:55 PM
 
Wolfmeis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pugetopolis
Posts: 3,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I loved our ped in CHarleston, because that was his attitude. "Life happens, get dirty, don't freak." He thought kids without bruises were more suspect because their parents didn't let them LIVE.

sigh

I hate the allergies, I do. Emotionally. But given some of the alternatives handed to friends of mine, I'll take it cheerfully.
Wolfmeis is offline  
Old 06-22-2006, 08:38 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could not disagree more with the belief that this is inherited or luck of the draw.

It's all about nutrition and your gut flora. And whether the natural immune system is suppressed with drugs and vaccinations.

Nutrition/Immunology 101
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=406983

Probiotics 101
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...3&postcount=15

My short answer is excellent diet (Nourishing Traditions), lots of homemade yogurt/kefir/fermented veggies for probiotics, healthy traditional fats, high vitamin cod liver oil, and digestive enzymes.
JaneS is offline  
Old 06-22-2006, 08:40 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
I've also read that for reasons that they haven't entirely figured out yet, babies born my c-section have a higher rate of allergies and asthma.

-Angela
Because they do not get the initial laying down of the mama's gut flora from the vaginal canal like nature intended. Other microbes from the hospital environment end up colonizing.

http://www.massbfc.org/formula/bottle.html
JaneS is offline  
Old 06-22-2006, 10:11 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another classic MDC thread:

Prepping for Pregnancy
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=398509
JaneS is offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 01:49 AM
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: On the Brink
Posts: 6,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I could not disagree more with the belief that this is inherited or luck of the draw.

It's all about nutrition and your gut flora. And whether the natural immune system is suppressed with drugs and vaccinations.

My short answer is excellent diet (Nourishing Traditions), lots of homemade yogurt/kefir/fermented veggies for probiotics, healthy traditional fats, high vitamin cod liver oil, and digestive enzymes.
Hm. I just don't know. A good friend of mine does all of this (really! She's basically a nutrition guru at this point) and her little boy still has the worst eczema I've ever seen and reacts horribly to certain foods.
Dragonfly is offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 02:27 AM
 
craftymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I could not disagree more with the belief that this is inherited or luck of the draw.
I find this statement to be so--oh, clueless, for lack of a more precise term--that it actually made me laugh, it didn't even make me mad. In my family, we're _all_ pretty darn allergic. Including 3 of my 4 grandparents, who lived through the fear of polio with their _own_ children, and didn't get any immunizations til they were adults (and, perhaps, not until they were elderly and began getting flu shots). My gm with asthma even grew up on a farm, had housecats and dogs, the whole 9 yards, eating incredible homeemade Italian food. Exactly what "experts" now say protect you from asthma (OK, not the ravioli). hahahaha. And I have the exact same type of asthma as she did. My other gm well remembers her own mother's horrible hay fever.

For us, "luck of the draw" means WHAT allergies you will get, not if.

My gggrandfather also died of type 2 diabetes over 100 years ago, and 2 of his ggkids had it, and now it's coming out in my mom's generation. Coincidence? High fructose corn syrup? I think not.
craftymom is offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 04:26 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, Craftymom, I felt like I just got slapped in the face.

Trust me, that statement is worth about 3 years of agony, frustration and massive amounts of reading research studies and about nutritional healing.

I've cured myself of 4 immune conditions that modern medicine has little answers for: severe hay fever, IBS, interstitial cystitis and chronic hormonal acne.

I'm truly sorry you feel that way. Health is in our control and to really understand that is a priceless gift I have given myself through all this. And one that I have pretty tirelessly tried to pass on at MDC with my 4,000+ posts here, most of which are trying to help others as I have been helped.

I'd suggest you research something called "Epigenetics". Our genes are greatly effected by how we eat and how we live.
JaneS is offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 04:31 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
Hm. I just don't know. A good friend of mine does all of this (really! She's basically a nutrition guru at this point) and her little boy still has the worst eczema I've ever seen and reacts horribly to certain foods.
I would do a stool test on him for intestinal flora bacterial causes, more info in the Healing the Gut Tribe sticky. Also DeFelice's book (they are both the same) is the best I've read for food "allergies" and gut problems: www.enzymestuff.com

My DS's skin is doing well but we are still fighting bad bacterial imbalance (proteus mirabilis) in the gut. If he strays from a strict diet as well, (he is no grains at this point, the SCD but even still cannot handle advanced foods) his eczema flares in some hot spots like tops of his feet.
JaneS is offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 PM
 
Gale Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nestled in the Sierras
Posts: 4,950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like your line has been pretty unhealthy, craftymom. In that sense, you do have really bad luck. But I don't really understand your point. Just because you have a string of bad health in the family line, how is it that you are sure that nutrients are not a causal or complicating factor?

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Gale Force is offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 08:51 PM
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: On the Brink
Posts: 6,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I would do a stool test on him for intestinal flora bacterial causes, more info in the Healing the Gut Tribe sticky. Also DeFelice's book (they are both the same) is the best I've read for food "allergies" and gut problems: www.enzymestuff.com
She's done stool test and blood tests.

I'll pass on the book recommendation, though.
Dragonfly is offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 10:46 PM
 
Momtezuma Tuatara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
I've also read that for reasons that they haven't entirely figured out yet, babies born my c-section have a higher rate of allergies and asthma.

-Angela
They say the reason for that is that a baby's gut is seeded from a vaginal delivery, with the correct probiotic gut flora, assuming the mother's gut flora is right.

I disagree with the opinion, that allergy is genetic roulette.

There is very good clear evidence that development of allergies comes from disturbance of the gut flora, and imbalance in body bacterial flora.

If I can find it, I will put up a whole lot of Pubmed URLs and others to show that allergy development isn't just a genetic luck of the draw, but is very much an environmental situation which we as mothers have a part to play it.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Momtezuma Tuatara is offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 10:51 PM
 
Momtezuma Tuatara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymom
I find this statement to be so--oh, clueless, for lack of a more precise term--that it actually made me laugh, it didn't even make me mad. In my family, we're _all_ pretty darn allergic. Including 3 of my 4 grandparents, who lived through the fear of polio with their _own_ children, and didn't get any immunizations til they were adults (and, perhaps, not until they were elderly and began getting flu shots). My gm with asthma even grew up on a farm, had housecats and dogs, the whole 9 yards, eating incredible homeemade Italian food. Exactly what "experts" now say protect you from asthma (OK, not the ravioli). hahahaha. And I have the exact same type of asthma as she did. My other gm well remembers her own mother's horrible hay fever.

For us, "luck of the draw" means WHAT allergies you will get, not if.

My gggrandfather also died of type 2 diabetes over 100 years ago, and 2 of his ggkids had it, and now it's coming out in my mom's generation. Coincidence? High fructose corn syrup? I think not.
Your statement above is uneducated. Which makes it sadder than laughable that you would say such a thing.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...3&postcount=15

Diabetes Type 2 is not inherited. But lifestyle is. And diabetes type 2 doesn't need cornsyrup, just a dedication to carbs, preferable white refined carbs. And alcohol. And a few other "habits" easily inherrited by observation and doing as your elders did.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Momtezuma Tuatara is offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 10:58 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
craftymom,
I hope you are never feel so at the end of your rope that you *have* to start researching and learning about the truth of this topic. I'll bet that 99% of us who are educated in the matter, for one reason or another, had to become so.

After you've read this and studied it for at least half a year continuously, then post again and let us know if you're still laughing.
Annikate is offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 11:07 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
There is very good clear evidence that development of allergies comes from disturbance of the gut flora, and imbalance in body bacterial flora.
I was very impressed when dd's pretty mainstream pediatric allergist/immunologist gave me a quick lesson on this.
Annikate is offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 11:32 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Diabetes Type 2 is not inherited. But lifestyle is. And diabetes type 2 doesn't need cornsyrup, just a dedication to carbs, preferable white refined carbs. And alcohol. And a few other "habits" easily inherrited by observation and doing as your elders did.
Exactly. There is a big difference between the Mediterranean diet of fish, full fat yogurt and cheese, olive oil, beans, nuts and lot of fresh vegetables and fruits and the white flour pasta/garlic bread/Tiramisu sort of diet.
JaneS is offline  
Old 06-23-2006, 11:44 PM
 
Plummeting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymom
I find this statement to be so--oh, clueless, for lack of a more precise term--that it actually made me laugh, it didn't even make me mad. In my family, we're _all_ pretty darn allergic. Including 3 of my 4 grandparents, who lived through the fear of polio with their _own_ children, and didn't get any immunizations til they were adults (and, perhaps, not until they were elderly and began getting flu shots). My gm with asthma even grew up on a farm, had housecats and dogs, the whole 9 yards, eating incredible homeemade Italian food. Exactly what "experts" now say protect you from asthma (OK, not the ravioli). hahahaha. And I have the exact same type of asthma as she did. My other gm well remembers her own mother's horrible hay fever.

For us, "luck of the draw" means WHAT allergies you will get, not if.

My gggrandfather also died of type 2 diabetes over 100 years ago, and 2 of his ggkids had it, and now it's coming out in my mom's generation. Coincidence? High fructose corn syrup? I think not.
Your grandmother's homemade Italian food probably consisted of TONS of refined white flour. Your complete dismissal of nutrition and gut flora as a cause of allergies is an utterly uneducated opinion. It's shocking, in fact. Have you ever even read any of the studies relating allergies to gut flora? It has been studied to exhaustion. And do you know how to have a healthy gut? Because a diet high on white flour isn't going to give you that, regardless of how long you were breastfed, or whether you were vaccinated, ate dirt, had pets or whatever else, and that is the most likely cause for your grandparents' allergies.

Experts all agree that type 2 diabetes is completely unrelated to genetics. Your family's history of the disease only further proves that they've suffered from an unhealthy diet, not faulty genes.
Plummeting is offline  
Old 06-24-2006, 12:53 AM
 
Wolfmeis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pugetopolis
Posts: 3,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I could not disagree more with the belief that this is inherited or luck of the draw.

It's all about nutrition and your gut flora. And whether the natural immune system is suppressed with drugs and vaccinations.
This is absolutely untrue. Again, semantics. IgE allergies have nothing at all to do with nutrition or lack thereof. You can't fix an anaphylactic immune response with more / better probiotics. You can fix a whole hell of a lot, but this is an entire different level of hell,and it's insulting to have a discussion like this.

My kids don't eat the mainstream, white flour, corn syrup nastified American diet. We are all getting healthier and healthier, that is true. But it hasn't lessoned my daughter's allergies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janes
I've cured myself of 4 immune conditions that modern medicine has little answers for: severe hay fever, IBS, interstitial cystitis and chronic hormonal acne.
None of these immune conditions is IgE regulated. Again, I am not disagreeing with the idea that what you are putting out there is healthy or a good way to be. I agree with you that nutrition is insanely important.... cutting out refined sugars and carbohydrates got rid of my rhinitis, for instance. But you guys aren't listening at all to the research and hell we've been through with true medical allergies. It's not the same thing.

I am extremely concerned that a Momma new to food allergies is going to come on here, read this and seriously harm her child. What you have to offer is sound advice, but it is not an appropriate response to OP. It's an entirely different set of diagnostic criteria.
Wolfmeis is offline  
Old 06-24-2006, 01:29 AM
 
JenniferKSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wolfmeis



Thank you!

Did I list off my diet early in this thread, yes. Do I hope it will keep DS#2 from developing allergies, yes. Do I think there is a snowball's chance in hell considering our history, I just don't know. I only hope if DS#2 does have allergies that they will be similar and not opposite of DS#1's.

Momma to DS1 (4) - allergic to wheat, rye, barley and eggs
and DS2 (3) - allergic to all legumes, egg, soy, peanuts and tree nuts
JenniferKSwan is offline  
Old 06-24-2006, 03:57 AM
 
Plummeting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis
IgE allergies have nothing at all to do with nutrition or lack thereof. You can't fix an anaphylactic immune response with more / better probiotics. You can fix a whole hell of a lot, but this is an entire different level of hell,and it's insulting to have a discussion like this.
The OP never mentioned anaphylaxis. Most experts do agree that, once you reach the point of anaphylaxis, there is no cure. However, the OP never once mentions anything about anaphylaxis. Furthermore, we're not talking about CURING anaphylaxis here, we're talking about PREVENTING it, which is a whole different ballgame. You wouldn't compare curing tetanus to preventing tetanus, so why the heck would you try to compare curing anaphylactic allergies to preventing them? It makes no sense.

ALL type 1 hypersensitivity responses are IgE mediated, but they aren't all anaphylactic responses. And your typical, run of the mill, anaphylactoid (as opposed to anaphylactic) allergy most certainly CAN be positively affected or even cured by probiotics. If that statement is "insulting" to you, it's either because a) you haven't read any of the research or b) you mistakenly thought that all IgE allergies were anaphylactic responses, therefore leading you to believe (also mistakenly) that all IgE allergies were unaffected by treatment of probiotics.

Here is some actual research for you. It all clearly shows that treatment with probiotics has a beneficial effect on allergies. Maybe the OP and some others who actually want to learn, will see how to prevent their child from reaching the point of anaphylaxis by using probiotics before it gets to that point. I would suggest that anyone hell bent on not accepting the idea that probiotics can prevent or reduce allergic responses should not read these links, because they will force you to reevaluate your stance. Either that, or to stomp your foot like a four-year-old and refuse to admit you were wrong, in spite of the damning evidence against your belief.

Quote:
A long-term reduction in allergy has been shown in the test group, with lactobacillus reducing the incidence of atopic eczema. Management of allergy through probiotics has also been demonstrated in infants, using lactobacilli to control atopic eczema and cow's milk allergy.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Quote:
CONCLUSION: Treatment with LGG may alleviate AEDS symptoms in IgE-sensitized infants but not in non-IgE-sensitized infants.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum
Isn't IgE-related allergy exactly what you just said could not be affected by probiotics? And yet these researchers determined that infants with eczema, caused by IgE mediated cow's milk allergy, improved when given Lactobacillus GG, a probiotic. Seriously, you should consider trying Culturelle, which contains LGG. It might help your kids' eczema. It's been proven to reduce the risk of cavities, as well.

Quote:
Normally, the transport of allergens through the intestinal epithelia to the blood is limited. It is hypothesised that if these compounds arrive in the blood circulation, they must percolate through the epithelial cell layer. Thus, food allergy (and thus atopic eczema) implies an increased intercellular leakage of the gut wall. Such increased intercellular leakage is thought to be caused by a slightly changed cellular morphology due to a slight cytopathologic effect because of both a limited decay of the cytoskeleton and a slightly reduced turgor. These events may be due to a reduced production of intracellular metabolic energy in the epithelial cells due to an increased concentration of familiar, frequently occurring, potentially toxic bacterial metabolites, i.e., d-lactic acid and/or ethanol. In this hypothesis we suggest that adequate probiotics can (i) prevent the increased characteristic intestinal permeability of children with atopic eczema and food allergy, (ii) can thus prevent the uptake of allergens, and (iii) finally can prevent the expression of the atopic constitution. The use of adequate probiotic lactobacilli, i.e., homolactic and/or facultatively heterolactic l-lactic acid-producing lactobacilli, reduces the intestinal amounts of the bacterial, toxic metabolites, d-lactic acid and ethanol by fermentative production of merely the non-toxic l-lactic acid from glucose. Thus, it is thought that beneficial probiotic micro-organisms promote gut barrier function and both undo and prevent unfavourable intestinal micro-ecological alterations in allergic individuals.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Quote:
Probiotics act by reducing intestinal inflammation, since, to a certain extent, Gram-positive microorganisms correct lymphocyte imbalances, as they are powerful stimulators of the Th1 cytokines, IL-12 and IFN-gamma. Moreover, some of the lactobacilli and bifidobacilli that can be administered favor IgA production and reduce IgE production by increasing the uptake of antigens by Peyer's patches, and also improve intestinal processing of antigens ingested in the diet, among other favorable effects.6
Hmmmm. Sounds like a surefire way to prevent allergies to me. They also say:
Quote:
Lactobacillus GG was administered to pregnant women at high risk for atopy for the last 4 weeks of pregnancy and the first 3 months of breastfeeding and to neonates for the first 6 months of life. In both studies, the frequency of atopic eczema at 2 years was significantly lower in the group of children who received preventive treatment than in those who did not.
So maybe, rather than tell the OP unhelpful things like, "It's the luck of the draw," we should be telling her she should supplement with probiotics, specifically Culturelle, since it is the only one currently available in the US that contains Lactobacillus GG. (And OP, this is *exactly* what you should be doing right now.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_DocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_DocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_DocSum

I could post about 20 more, but if a person can read all these links, and still believe probiotics are useless in the prevention of allergies, that person would be a lost cause, forever destined to draw the short straw. Therefore, I'll stop here, and assume those who actually want to learn something, will.
Plummeting is offline  
Old 06-24-2006, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
 
mclisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: loving my scrapbooks!
Posts: 5,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks plummeting for sharing your research. It has certainly given me something to read. I prefer scientific journals (part of my work training) such that you've provided rather than reading testimonials off some website that is trying to sell me something. Very interesting about pg moms taking it the last bit of their pregnancy/bf and to the infant. Something that I will want to contemplate in the future.

I know that my kids are at risk for developing allergies because of genetics. My paternal grandma had asthma (so before the devlopment of too clean of environment). My dad has asthma and horrible seasonal allergies. I have one sister that was allergic to milk as a kid and is still peanut allergic. She has asthma. My other sister is allergic to cats and ragweed, but no asthma. I have alot more seasonal allergies than her as well as the cat allergy, but again no asthma. So I see a wide spectrum of what can happen and I just want to minimize it.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
mclisa is offline  
Old 06-24-2006, 12:44 PM
 
Plummeting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa
Thanks plummeting for sharing your research. It has certainly given me something to read. I prefer scientific journals (part of my work training) such that you've provided rather than reading testimonials off some website that is trying to sell me something. Very interesting about pg moms taking it the last bit of their pregnancy/bf and to the infant. Something that I will want to contemplate in the future.

I know that my kids are at risk for developing allergies because of genetics. My paternal grandma had asthma (so before the devlopment of too clean of environment). My dad has asthma and horrible seasonal allergies. I have one sister that was allergic to milk as a kid and is still peanut allergic. She has asthma. My other sister is allergic to cats and ragweed, but no asthma. I have alot more seasonal allergies than her as well as the cat allergy, but again no asthma. So I see a wide spectrum of what can happen and I just want to minimize it.
Genetics are a factor, but not nearly as much as people think. My DD has had terrible dental health issues, and I spent several months believing that it was all genetic - that there was nothing I could do to help her. My DH has bad teeth, I had bad baby teeth (although my adult teeth are almost perfect) and I thought she was doomed. After all, "everyone" knows bad teeth are genetic.

Then a scientist I know explained it to me - rather than being a cause of health problems, our genes are much more passive than that. Unless we have a specific genetic defect, like cystic fibrosis or sickle cell anemia, our genes do not make us sick - they don't cause allergies, they don't cause dental disease and they don't cause cancer. It's only when our genes are acted upon by an outside force, such as pollution, less than optimal diet, gut dysbiosis and a million other things, that we end up with those problems. We have genetic predispositions to things, but there is no such thing as a "strong" genetic predisposition - none at all. It's hard to separate the effects of our diet, our living conditions and our gut flora from the effects of our genes, because we tend to pass those things onto our children as consistently as we pass our genes onto them.

Gut flora even more than diet, in fact, because it's so hard to change it. We can correct our childhood diet, but that alone generally won't correct our gut flora, especially when you throw antibiotics into the mix. Therefore, rather than your family having some mutant allergy gene, they have had a bad balance of gut flora, for generations. And every time a mother has given birth to her babies, she has passed that onto her children. Every time a mother breastfed, she passed that onto her children. Every time she bottlefed, she made the problem even worse. Every time someone took antibiotics, without taking probiotics (and probiotics didn't even exist 25 years ago) the problem became even worse. If your dad had allergies, it was because his mother passed on her gut dysbiosis, not because she passed on bad genes.

This is all evidenced by the fact that the incidence of allergies has increased exponentially in the past 50 years. It is impossible that it could be due to genetics. If it were due to genetics, there would obviously be a higher number of people with allergies, just because there are more people on the planet today than there were 50 years ago. However, the proportions would be the same. If only 5% of people had allergies 50 years ago, and allergies were genetic, then only 5% of people (give or take a few, obviously) should have allergies today. But that's not the case. There has been a HUGE increase in the percentage of people with allergies and in the number of allergies allergic people have. Genetics couldn't cause that.

Since the problem of allergies has become more prevalent with formula feeding (which equals bad, bad gut dysbiosis), poor diet, invention of antibiotics, it's more in line with the science to believe that, in the presence of gut dysbiosis (and probably other factors, too), your family develops multiple (severe?) allergies. Your genes predispose you to it, if certain conditions present themselves, but your genes alone won't cause you to develop allergies.

I haven't had nearly enough sleep and I'm rambling waaayyy to much to try to make a point (although probably more to lurkers than to you, since you seem to have gotten it already, lol). The point is that you can take some control of this. There will be factors, like pollution and maybe even the occasional necessary antibiotic, that will be out of your control. I am not one to believe that allergies can ALWAYS be prevented or cured in ALL people ALL the time, because there are so many factors we really can't control involved. But I definitely believe we can reduce the risk to our children - and that some people can cure their allergies. It's just worth trying, because there is definitely nothing at all to lose, and so much to gain.
Plummeting is offline  
Old 06-24-2006, 01:41 PM
 
Gale Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nestled in the Sierras
Posts: 4,950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis
I am extremely concerned that a Momma new to food allergies is going to come on here, read this and seriously harm her child. What you have to offer is sound advice, but it is not an appropriate response to OP. It's an entirely different set of diagnostic criteria.
No one has suggested that moms or children should be exposed to allergens. Given that, it is unclear why it would be so "dangerous" to recommend a healthy diet to pregnant moms or their children under any circumstances. What is your understanding of allergies that suggests that a nutrient-dense diet would be dangerous?

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Gale Force is offline  
Old 06-24-2006, 01:44 PM
 
wendy1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 5,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I could not disagree more with the belief that this is inherited or luck of the draw.

It's all about nutrition and your gut flora. And whether the natural immune system is suppressed with drugs and vaccinations.

Nutrition/Immunology 101
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=406983

Probiotics 101
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...3&postcount=15

My short answer is excellent diet (Nourishing Traditions), lots of homemade yogurt/kefir/fermented veggies for probiotics, healthy traditional fats, high vitamin cod liver oil, and digestive enzymes.
I had a homebirth with my 3rd (9 mos old) and his is unvaxed, never had antibiotics. He is the one w/ allergies. I also took probiotics the whole time I was pregnant. I am allergic to milk, so I didn't do yogurt/kefir, but I did have soy yogurt once in a while. THe probiotics were daily. He is allergic to milk, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, and shellfish. So the only 1 of the top 8 he tested negative to was fish. I also think he is allergic to peas since he started puking when he had some a few days ago.

That said, if I had to do it all over again, knowing then what I know now, I would limit the amounts of the top 8 allergens that I eat A LOT! As in hardly at all. My sister also has 2 kids w/ allergies and she is planning on TTC in teh next few months. She lives in rural OH, so when we go out next month, I am bringing her a ton of rice flour, Sunbutter, allergen free choc chips (Enjoy Life), and some other top 8 free supplies. Like a case of each. SHe is planning on limiting her consumption of the top 8 w/ this pregnancy to lessen the baby's chances of food allergies.

Maybe do a rotation diet? Get good prenatals (my midwife recommended Nature's Plus Ultra Prenatals), eat well, take good quality probiotics, etc. I think having a healthy lifestyle has got to help. My oldest also had multiple food allergies, but he outgrew all of them.
wendy1221 is offline  
Old 06-24-2006, 02:19 PM
 
Wolfmeis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pugetopolis
Posts: 3,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
No one has suggested that moms or children should be exposed to allergens. Given that, it is unclear why it would be so "dangerous" to recommend a healthy diet to pregnant moms or their children under any circumstances. What is your understanding of allergies that suggests that a nutrient-dense diet would be dangerous?
You only quoted a small part of what I wrote. I never said at all that nutrient dense diet was dangerous. I said it WOULD help, that it would help a lot of things. That is has helped MY FAMILY.

My concern is the assumption that a healthy diet will automatically cure those allergies. That's all. That those of us new to this board because of recently diagnosed anaphlyactic allergies will take this too far in assumptions: Healthy diet = Healthy child = oh look he's all better

Plummeting reminds me that this discussion is about preventing allergies, a point which I glossed over. So I will shut up about that. Doing something in utero is certainly better than doing nothing because "oh well it's just gonna happen."

Plummeting also points out that anaphylaxis and early allergic responses are not the same thing. This is true. Peanuts and shellfish are the marked exceptions to this. I'll be frank with you guys, this is what we are doing to G to try to help her outgrow the peanut allergy. We get slack occasionally and she'll get junk food, but 95 percent of the time, it's organic produce, yogurts, home made everything. She is very healthy, growing like a weed and has no eczema or allergic shiners.

Yet last year she tested positive again to peanuts, going from a class 1 allergy to a class 4 (out of 5, on the RAST). She also tested positive to shrimp, for the first tim ever. That had never been an issue before. I felt like I'd been punched in the gut.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis
My kids don't eat the mainstream, white flour, corn syrup nastified American diet. We are all getting healthier and healthier, that is true. But it hasn't lessoned my daughter's allergies. ....

Again, I am not disagreeing with the idea that what you are putting out there is healthy or a good way to be. I agree with you that nutrition is insanely important.... cutting out refined sugars and carbohydrates got rid of my rhinitis, for instance. .....
Wolfmeis is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off