What's my allergic little guy supposed to eat? I need some help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-27-2006, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The list of foods my 16 month old just keeps growing. I'm running out of things to feed him. He is still nursing for most of his nutrition, which means I am restricted in what I eat too.
Today he broke out in a rash after we shared some scrambled eggs.

So add that to the list;
eggs
dairy
soy
peanuts
peaches
oatmeal

Oh and I have yeast overgrowth so we're eating very little bread or sugar.

I'm just at a loss. Meat, veggies, & brown rice are the only things I can think of.

I'm cross posting this in Nutrition & Good Eating.
#2 of 11 Old 06-27-2006, 11:08 PM

www.foodyoucaneat.com is a great website. When you register, you eliminate the items you can't have. After that, sign in and you can search a variety of recipes minus the offending items!!

Good Luck!

Momma to DS1 (4) - allergic to wheat, rye, barley and eggs
and DS2 (3) - allergic to all legumes, egg, soy, peanuts and tree nuts
#3 of 11 Old 06-28-2006, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

That is a wonderful website! Thank you!
#4 of 11 Old 06-28-2006, 06:53 PM

I have the "Food Allergy Survival Guide" and it has great recipes. Fruit, veggies, rice cakes. That's what my kids like.
#5 of 11 Old 06-28-2006, 08:20 PM

The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook is helpful.
It gets easier, I promise!
#6 of 11 Old 06-29-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circlemama
The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook is helpful.
It gets easier, I promise!
I borrowed that from the library. My conclusion? Not worth buying. Not when you're dealing w/ a wheat allergy. And how about not calling for Ener-G egg replacer in every recipe?

The recipes are ok, but I can get rice and bean flours and all the weird starches locally. I have never seen oat or barley flour anywhere, and that's all she calls for as a wheat sub. I suspect her ds didn't have a wheat allergy, so she didn't bother working on wheat-free recipes.

But I guess if you can have wheat, and don't mind spending $$$ on Ener-G egg replacer, it's a great book.
#7 of 11 Old 06-29-2006, 11:36 PM

wendy what recipes do you make with the rice flour? That's one of the few foods dd isn't allergic to and I'm trying to make her have some versatility in her diet.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#8 of 11 Old 06-30-2006, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs
The list of foods my 16 month old just keeps growing. I'm running out of things to feed him. He is still nursing for most of his nutrition, which means I am restricted in what I eat too.
Today he broke out in a rash after we shared some scrambled eggs.

So add that to the list;
eggs
dairy
soy
peanuts
peaches
oatmeal

Oh and I have yeast overgrowth so we're eating very little bread or sugar.

I'm just at a loss. Meat, veggies, & brown rice are the only things I can think of.

I'm cross posting this in Nutrition & Good Eating.

ok, we've been free of that stuff and more for 5+ years now and its so easy anymore but I've had 5 years to figure it out. First get used to cooking/baking, the hardest is going egg free. I have a cooking egg free file some where if you want it, I never cared to use the ener-g egg replacer, in fact I thought its a pretty crappy sub for eggs. For dairy you can drink rice milk or Dari-free (potato based) and for baking your going to have to figure out what works for you. I use rice milk in dd's baked good just fine but I'm allergic to rice and never had luck using Dari-free in baking but found coconut milk worked great and it added a ton of calories and fat to my baked goods (I actually find it at the $1 store).
Giving up cheese in dishes can be hard, to make it easier I found adding more herbs and spices really helped, for example I loved cheese on my black bean taco's but like her sister, Lilly doesn't tolerate dairy so I had to give it up last week and to replace the cheese I added cilantro so instead of plain old black beans, onions, cheese and sour cream with salsa I added the cilantro in place of the cheese/cream and made fresh salsa (or bought it from the Mexican restaurant down the street).

For soy, well, not a big deal if your cooking from scratch, if your missing peanut/soy nut butter there's a number of other butters such as Sunbutter which tastes pretty good. I think its made from Sunflower seeds if I remember right.

If you would like to write down say a weeks worth of what you would normally eat we can suggest what to eat in place of it without messing with your meals to much.

Seriously?
#9 of 11 Old 07-01-2006, 12:39 AM

Unfortunately the label on Sunbutter says it may contain soybeans My hubby just brought some home for himself because he was dying for a PB replacement for his honey sandwiches. I was hoping to give some to my son, but soy is a trigger for him as well. Maybe it will be one of the ones they will grow out of!

Momma to DS1 (4) - allergic to wheat, rye, barley and eggs
and DS2 (3) - allergic to all legumes, egg, soy, peanuts and tree nuts
#10 of 11 Old 07-01-2006, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just went and grabbed my jar and its not sunbutter which I thought it was but its "sunflower seed butter" from Trader Joes and its ingredients are "sunflower seeds, evaporated cane juice, salt" and has a warning of made in a facility that processes soy but unless you have a kid that reacts to trace amounts of airborne particles with anaphylactic reactions I really would not be worrying about that warning. Made on the same line maybe but in the same factory? Nothing to really worry about.

Seriously?
#11 of 11 Old 07-01-2006, 01:04 PM

My son has multiple allergies and I at times find it tough too trying to find something he can eat. I followed the link above and it was very helpful, one of the many benefits of belonging to a group like this. Thanks a bunch!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page