Is mozzarella casein free? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-08-2006, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some background: I have celiac sprue I've been on a gluten free diet for about 6 years. I went dairy free and soy free for DS for about 18 months because he could not handle it in my milk. DH's cousin was also diagnosed with celiac last year and just came to visit. She went to a fancy nutritionist who told her to cut out casein and soy in addition to gluten. She was eating mozzarella cheese which really surprised me. She was told it does not have casein and I'm finding this hard to believe. Can anyone help me?

TIA!
#2 of 5 Old 07-08-2006, 12:29 PM

uh.....no....casein is milk protein. Mozzarella is made of milk and certainly has casein.

Perhaps she was eating a mozzarrella substitute?
#3 of 5 Old 07-08-2006, 12:50 PM

I gotta agree that I would be really surprised if mozzarella didn't have casien...I think it's made with low fat milk but that wouldn't affect the proteins. I had never thought about what would change if a person were just avoiding casien and not whey...do very many products contain just one milk protein?
#4 of 5 Old 07-08-2006, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for reinforcing my thoughts. It was definitely the real deal. We are lucky enough to have a pizza place here with a dedicated gf pizza oven so we went for gf pizza and beer. SHe went back again on her own since it was such a treat. I tried to tell her I thought mozzarella had casein in it but she rarely questions authority and her nutritionist knows it all. She can also eat feta, romano and parmesan. I have been searching the net for specific, not too technical articles to show her otherwise but haven't found any.
#5 of 5 Old 07-10-2006, 05:39 PM

How about these sites?
http://www.italiancookingandliving.c...ozzarella.html (describes how mazarella is made - ie, from milk )

http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html

Maybe she misunderstood her nutritionist and got whey and casein mixed up?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page