Thanks for the responses so far. I, too, have understood that nut allergies are usually for life, as opposed to some which can be outgrown. It is really, really scary to me, which is why I posted. I feel for you, emmaline, in your need to be so vigilant about what your son is exposed to. I would gladly wait until my son is 5 to try out peanut butter, but...since my pediatrician says 3, and my son has heard that from him, he (ds) is waiting on pins and needles to be able to try it,and I have promised it to him at 3. He also understands it will be a "peanut butter test" to see if he is allergic like mommy or not allergic, like daddy. He already pretends to be allergic to things he doesn't want, since the allergy culture is so prevalent in our household due to my food restrictions. We'll see what happens. I hope more moms come along and share their stories,too. As for allergy testing, my dr. said that if he has not yet been exposed, the allergy test would show nothing, so he does not recommend it. OTOH, I know my son's care provider does serve peanut butter to all the other kids at his child care, and he's never reacted to the fumes, so that is a promising sign, too, I guess, based on what you said about your son, emmaline.