Any recipes for a child with wheat and milk allergies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-15-2006, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is showing signs of Chrones(spelled wrong I am sure) she is just one in a long line of chrones sufferers in my extended family. My family talks about deleting cows milk and wheat from her diet. I have deleted the cows milk and added Almond milk that wasn't hard for us. The hard part is the wheat, I hate buying the expencive breads and would rather bake my own breads and such for her. I have seen spelt flour and wanted to buy it but I don't know any recipies, or if I can just use it as if I would wheat flour. I am a afraid and so my poor daughter is living off of oats and she is sick of them. Please help if you can.

PS she is on alot of supplements from our health food stores so no worries there. I am even keeping my Dr at bay saying we will come back to him if this doesn't work. You see our Dr had sent her for over 8 exrays and was saying it was just constipation and treating just that instead of seeing why her body was backing up on itself.:
#2 of 6 Old 08-15-2006, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
moved to allergies forum. I think you'll get more help here.

Spelt flour can be used just like whole wheat flour in recipes. It works well for yeast risen bread too - but be aware that spelt if an older form of wheat.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#3 of 6 Old 08-15-2006, 09:29 PM

Spelt is one of the members of the wheat family. All members of the wheat (Triticum) family are commonly called wheat, but makers of spelt products are trying to market their way out of that. People with wheat allergies should avoid spelt as the protein is identical. There is just less of the allergenic protein. If it's a wheat intolerance, spelt might be ok.
#4 of 6 Old 08-15-2006, 09:44 PM

I believe that you can have your Daughter blood-tested for wheat and milk allergies/sensitivities. You may find that you need only cut one or the other. Good luck!
#5 of 6 Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I had read that spelt was a good wheat free grain I heard it is one of the first grains used by man. I will be sure to keep looking though if is simiar to wheat. The idea of it being just like whole wheat flour in the cooking dept.sounds awesome but I don't want to spend a fortune and have no improvement. I have been reading about brown rice flour and that sounds kind of good to me.

We cut out dairy almost a year ago and we are finding that my daughter still is having issues so I know we need to do more for her. As for the blood tests I know that would be great but I can't convince anyone to do them for my daughter. Constipation is what they want to treat her for, but I want to not only purge her body I also want to prevent it from becoming backed up. I think these things her body doesn't agree with are just backing her up and giving her bad breath and tummy pain.
#6 of 6 Old 08-16-2006, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Brown rice flour is wheat and gluten free but it doesn't work in yeast risen breads. Barley flour works a little better because it has some gluten - but I'm still not sure you could get a good loaf of bread (yeast risen) with barley flour alone - though it works fine for most baked goods that use baking powder or soda.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page