Banana allergy??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-01-2006, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm pretty sure DD has a banana allergy, since this was the third time she got an itchy face rash after eating a banana. The rash lasted about a half hour each time.

Anyone else's baby have a banana allergy? Are there other affiliated allergies I should watch out for now? Online I've read about adults having this allergy, but I can't find much about babies, so any help would be appreciated.

Strange thing is, she doesn't always get a rash from bananas (and I always feed her organic bananas). What's up with that???
#2 of 15 Old 09-01-2006, 12:35 AM

I am allergic to bananas and have been since I was a child. I had a doc tell me to be careful of eating Nutrasweet because they have many chemical similarities--although I don't do nutrasweet so I'm not sure if I would have the same allergy.

About the not getting a rash everytime she eats bananas I don't know about that, but I do know that I don't react when I have cooked bananas--like in bread or muffins--weird huh?

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#3 of 15 Old 09-01-2006, 10:25 AM

Bananas cross-react with latex. I'm allergic to natural rubber latex, but only react to bananas when my total allergen load is high. So, I can eat bananas if it's the middle of winter or I can eat them if I haven't been (accidentally) exposed to latex recently.

A number of foods cross-react when one has a latex allergy: papaya, kiwi, avocado, etc. It would be a very good idea to visit an allergist to see whether she's only reacting to banana or if she's just having a reaction to it because of a hidden latex allergy.

And you know what--she may just have sensitive skin. A lot of fruits have enzymes and such that can irritate little ones, even if no allergies are present.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#4 of 15 Old 09-01-2006, 12:44 PM

I second the banana latex cross reaction. I have a severe latex allergy, and am allergic to bananas too. I'd just keep an eye on it, there's no accurrate test for latex allergy.
#5 of 15 Old 09-01-2006, 05:59 PM

Growing up, I used to love bananas...

As I got older, they didn't love me so much. Had eczema as a child - mom wonders now if it was related to bananas (ped always told her they were harmless, it was the tomatoes and oranges that were irritating me.) Around 8 I noticed they made my throat itch. I almost never ate them after that unless I was really craving them, but I always paid the price afterwards. When I was 16, I decided it just wasn't worth it to me (had itchy throat for two days).

Fast forward to 22 when I was accidentally served banana walnut pancakes. Two bites in, I felt my throat closing up. The result, a nice ambulance ride to the ER with that feeling of doom. ER doc said it was probably the combination of the walnuts and banana because bananas themselves could not cause an anaphylactic reaction. Why are doctors so clueless sometimes?

Be careful about continuing to expose her even if it doesn't cause a reaction everytime.

Momma to DS1 (4) - allergic to wheat, rye, barley and eggs
and DS2 (3) - allergic to all legumes, egg, soy, peanuts and tree nuts
#6 of 15 Old 09-01-2006, 10:02 PM

Wow, I guess now I can know that my banana allergy is somewhat related to my latex allergy--but I'm not allergic to anything else, well except sulfa drugs--any relation there?

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#7 of 15 Old 09-01-2006, 10:06 PM

also be careful w/ kiwi if there is a banana allergy. My mom has horrible banana allergies and we found out that kiwis can also be reactive in banana allergic people.. I'm allergic to 90% of tree fruits out there except bananas.. weird huh?
#8 of 15 Old 09-01-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellimamo
also be careful w/ kiwi if there is a banana allergy. My mom has horrible banana allergies and we found out that kiwis can also be reactive in banana allergic people.. I'm allergic to 90% of tree fruits out there except bananas.. weird huh?
The banana and kiwi allergy are both latex cross reactions. Many doctors if they see a combination of kiwi and banana or avacado and banana, will consider a person allergic to latex as well. So your mom is probably allergic to latex and doesn't know it yet. Just for information, the major cross reactions are banana, kiwi, avacado, and chestnut. so if allergic to one of these, watch out for the others.
#9 of 15 Old 09-05-2006, 07:38 AM

Is it safe to assume that my DS who gets a rash on his face and either throws up bananas or gets mucousy diarrhea after eating bananas is allergic to bananas??

is there any hard fast rules about which reactions constitute an 'allergy' or is it all a broad spectrum??

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#10 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 PM

My dd has a banana allergy. It runs in the family :
I was wondering about cross allergies too, glad to hear about the latex connection.
Has anyone else also had their dc react to watermelon? I'm pretty sure my dd is allergic. It really does a number on her diapers, IYKWIM.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#11 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 10:49 PM

neverdoingitagain- melons are also on the latex cross reactive list, just not as common a cross reaction as the banana.
http://www.allergyclinicsanmarcos.co...tex_cross.html
this is what's called the "greer list" its all the most common cross reactive foods that can occur with the latex allergy. Its organized into most common, common, and not so common. Banana is in the most common (or high association) column, and melon is in the moderate association column. So melon is still pretty high on the list. But at least you can keep a closer eye out for other stuff on the list just in case your dc reacts to something else.

*eta- this is actually not the official greer list, but a newer version.
#12 of 15 Old 09-10-2006, 12:16 AM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!
And now I'm nervous. Half of the stuff on that list Kiki loves to eat.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#13 of 15 Old 09-10-2006, 12:53 AM

Here is a link to more info. regarding latex allergies.

http://www.latexallergyresources.org/
#14 of 15 Old 09-16-2006, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2
Wow, I guess now I can know that my banana allergy is somewhat related to my latex allergy--but I'm not allergic to anything else, well except sulfa drugs--any relation there?
I have been allergic to latex for about the last 10 years....Last year I had a reaction to Septra (Sulfa Drugs) and recently a reation to bananas.....I am wondering what I can eat or touch these days. Not to mention I am still working in surgery.
#15 of 15 Old 09-16-2006, 11:04 PM

I had a surprising reaction to banana day before yesterday. I didn't eat it. I peeled a really ripe banana for my dd, and cleaned up some she squished. I must have wiped my hands with a towel instead of washing with soap and water. Somehow some of it got in my mouth. It was really not fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page