Could this be an allergy to pineapple? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-05-2006, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS had pineapple for the first time yesterday. Within minutes, the area around his mouth was splotchy and then covered in red, pimpley dots. The bumps are still there this morning. It doesn't seem to particularly bother him, but I'm wondering if he's actually allergic of if he is having a topical reaction to the acidity of the juice...

Anyone have experience in how a pineapple allergy presents itself?

TIA!
#2 of 13 Old 09-05-2006, 03:59 PM

It could be either. I'd just watch it with him. Either way, if he's havinga reaction, pineapple isn't all that important to a healthy diet. KWIM?
#3 of 13 Old 09-05-2006, 09:14 PM

Pineapple is rather a harsh fruit acidicly and it is just possible that your dc is not old enough to handle it. On the other hand, it could be an allergy.

Can he eat other things with pineapple? Cake with the juice or Pineapple upside down cake? Canned verses fresh? Fruit Cocktail?

I find fresh has a really nasty bite to it if I have a mouth sore and if I eat too much of it I will burn my lips and gums. I love to chew and suck on the tough core!

I would not worry about it being an allergy at this point. Make a note of it, in a book and then go about life. If a reaction pops up again, note it and then start to make assessments.
#4 of 13 Old 09-05-2006, 09:37 PM

Was it fresh or canned?

Fresh contains active enzymes... proteases called bromelain... which digest protein. A very good thing for your stomach and digestion and inflammation. Fresh pineapple is often recommended for bruising, overexertion and even eating after giving birth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromelain

But these enzymes can be irritating to mouth and skin, it eats away at the layer of dead cells on surface.
#5 of 13 Old 01-28-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Was it fresh or canned?

Fresh contains active enzymes... proteases called bromelain... which digest protein. A very good thing for your stomach and digestion and inflammation. Fresh pineapple is often recommended for bruising, overexertion and even eating after giving birth.

But these enzymes can be irritating to mouth and skin, it eats away at the layer of dead cells on surface.
I also believe I have an alergic reaction to pineapple & the bromelain, as it brings me out in a rather a nasty skin rash, almost like acne rosacea, but I need the enzymes to digest the protein for other related skin conditions. So its kinda of a catch 22 situation. I'm currently eating tinned pineapple in own juice from the Del Monte range, around 5 tins per day on average.

Would anyone happen to know a good enzyme alternative I could try to digest the bad protein???.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Kind Regards.

James.
#6 of 13 Old 01-29-2007, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Interesting. I knew about bromelain being a good digestive aid, but I didn't know the rest. Thanks for posting this Jane!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#7 of 13 Old 01-29-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banbanban89 View Post
I also believe I have an alergic reaction to pineapple & the bromelain, as it brings me out in a rather a nasty skin rash, almost like acne rosacea, but I need the enzymes to digest the protein for other related skin conditions. So its kinda of a catch 22 situation. I'm currently eating tinned pineapple in own juice from the Del Monte range, around 5 tins per day on average.

Would anyone happen to know a good enzyme alternative I could try to digest the bad protein???.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Kind Regards.

James.
It's likely that tinned pineapple doesn't contain enzymes as it's heated to preserve the fruit and kill bacteria in the canning process. Enzymes die starting at 118 degrees.

Houston makes a high protease product which is not derived from fruits, their AFP Peptizyde is one we use (in addition to Zyme Prime) b/c DS is allergic to pineapple. www.houstonni.com

Enzymedica's Virastop is excellent: http://www.enzymedica.com/products/Virastop
but I do not know if it's bromelain/papain free (the proteases which are derived from pineapple and papaya, respectively)
#8 of 13 Old 01-29-2007, 07:38 PM

Jane,
I've been trying to get my sons on enzymes. I think we have issues with the pineapple but I didn't know there were effective alternatives. I was trying to start with HNZymePrime but we got sick (one guy extremely lethargic even) and I went and looked and thought it had the pineapple derivative. What do you use with your son as far as zymeprime goes?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#9 of 13 Old 01-29-2007, 09:45 PM

Just "Zyme Prime" not "HN Zyme Prime".
#10 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 01:00 AM

Jane, does your dd have an IgE allergy to pineapple that you know of? My dd reacts to pineapple with eczema/hives and I began to react, too, with one or two painful hives on my abdomen. In our case, I would love to know if it's a "true allergy" or not.
#11 of 13 Old 01-31-2007, 12:12 AM

I would guess yes if hives appeared...

I'm not absolutely clear on this, but I think all of my DS's allergies are IgE if he reacted with welts to the intradermal pricks??
#12 of 13 Old 01-31-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I would guess yes if hives appeared...

I'm not absolutely clear on this, but I think all of my DS's allergies are IgE if he reacted with welts to the intradermal pricks??
Yes, from what I understand only IgE will show up on those tests.
#13 of 13 Old 04-13-2008, 07:00 PM

The first time my 20 month old daughter drank pineapple juice she developed a horrible, very localised nappy rash, or red welts. I've avoided giving her it since but she recently ate some watermelon and grapes in a fruit salad that had fresh pineapple in it and as well as the painful welts has developed an itchy red excema on her arms and legs. Does this sound like an allergy to the enzyme? I'd be grateful for anyone's advice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page