Lactose intolerance/milk allergy??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-14-2003, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK--I have a 2 year old that is lactose intolerant...(dh is too,and so is grandma, cousins etc...so there is big family hx of it and 1 with a milk allergy)

We have fed lexie lactose free formula from birth....just as a precaution. she was not on full time formula until around 2 months. at 4 months (or a little before) she started having this constipation issue. she does have the cradle cap bad on her head, but no other signs of the milk allergy.

this gastroenterologist says there is a good chance that she is allergic to milk....some babies don't have signs until 2-4 months.

In all my research on the 2 issues...lactose intolerance and milk allergy, I never came across signs that presented like this....like she is now with the constant constipation and infrequent bloody mucus in her stools.

All the pediatricians that she saw totally discounted a possibility that it could be a milk allergy at all. It went on for so long cause it took that long to get an appt with the doctor.

She does have the frequent URI's too...but nothing else. no rash, no vomitting etc etc.

(still possibility of some sort of growth, which is why they are doing the colonoscopy....and they did food allergy blood work too---but I need more information)

has anyone had experience like this with thier kids? not the full out horrible symptom milk allergy...but more of a mild presenting case like this?

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!
#2 of 3 Old 04-14-2003, 06:03 PM

My ds 1 is 4 years old.. He is lactose intolerant.. I could not drink milk or have dairy while bf-ing him.. He would get constipated.. (Go only every 10 days) and have terrible gas.. He also did have cradle cap... We stopped all dairy and re-introduced it after he was a year old.. I thought everything was ok.. Until this year.. Now anytime we give him whole milk or any kind of milk other than lactose free milk he gets excema.. I've read excema can be caused by an allergic reaction, so since we knew he had a dairy problem we switched him to lactose free milk.. THe excema goes away..

I don't think alot of ped's know what mild milk or lactose intolerance look like.. THe bloody mucus in the stools though does sound like a milk allergy, and a fairly serious one to me, but what do i know.. I'm not a dr, so maybe it's something else..

Cut out the dairy for at least 2 weeks and see if it helps.. It can take at least 2 weeks to see any real improvement..

HTH>>
Warm Squishy Feelings..

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#3 of 3 Old 04-15-2003, 04:23 PM

I agree that it sounds like an allergy to milk or something. I knew a mom in LLL whose son had bloody stools and cramping and he had a milk allergy (not just lactose, but all milk proteins). He was about 4 months when diagnosed and she actually relactated becasue he was allergic to soy also and could only tolerate breastmilk is she ate a limited diet.

The more I read on milk, the more it sounds like a lot of people have problems with it. I don't have my kids drink it, they just drink water and juice and I try to supplement calcium in other ways. They do eat some cheese, but I think it helps to limit the dairy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page