raspy hoarse voice in toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2006, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 2 1/2 years old and i am wondering if she is having milk issues, she has had a raspy voice always, originally i thought it was due to relflux, she had silent reflux until she was about a year old, but it has never gone away, anway i know i drink or eat something w/cream in it i get a congested hoarse throat/voice, just wondering if anyone else has any experience w/this. She is still nursing so i am thinking if i take her off dairy i probably should take myself off of dairy as well, altho she only nurses maybe 2-4 times a day. Anyway tia for any help .

also forgot to add, she does eat a lot of dairy, mainly yogurt, cheese and things containing those two things (mac and cheese, cheese sandwhiches, yogurt smoothies etc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Dairy is known to cause mucus and its not healthy for humans anyway. I'd eliminate it for 4-6 weeks and see what happens.

Seriously?
Old 11-12-2006, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

the wierd thing is she doesn't really seem mucousy, just hoarse, anyway i am definetly eliminating diary in her diet (ds already doesnt' eat it, and i do agree that baby cow milk isn't really apporpriate for humans, she is really small, 10 % for height/weight and its the only protien type food she will eat, she doesnt' like meat of any kind or fish, tho she will eat maybe 3 bites of king salmon, which we do have a lot, and she thinks eggs are ok, anway, dairy was a way to get her to eat protein). So since she is still nursing 2-4 times a day do i need to eliminate all dairy to? or since shes older and not nursing frequently is it not as important?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I would cut it from your diet too. fwiw, I sound raspy when i'm congested.

Seriously?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you satori i appreciate your response, i will eliminate it from my diet as well. I also sound hoarse and raspy when congested, but i guess i just am surprised that she doesnt' try to clear her throat or anythign, i mean i never hear any phlegm in her throat other than her voice being different, thank you for your help !!!
Old 11-13-2006, 02:23 AM

We are dealing with this ourselves. The doc thinks it is reflux. We didn't seem to have a lot of luck going off dairy, but I am not convinced that maybe we needed to go off more foods than dairy. Dairy seems to be the number one food that is mucous forming. I believe that eggs and wheat can also be. There is really no reason not to try going dairy free. I have also read that about 1/3 of the children with reflux are sensitive to dairy. Beyond 18 months, many still dealing with reflux can have sensitivity to gluten.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response Tattiana! I have wondered if she still had reflux becuz of her voice, but she doesnt' seem to have symptoms the way she used to (crying, not sleeping well). My ds (3 1/2 yrs old) is off gluten all teh way, and it's been tempting to take her off as well, just to see if it could help, but i always end up not doing it, i think i will try dairy (started two days ago) and if it doesn't seem to help i will try her off gluten as well. May i ask how old your child is? and what do they sound like? do they have a hoarse or raspy voice all the time or just at times? thank you

User Tag List