Allergies! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-05-2003, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My poor 3 year old dd has inherited hideous environmental allergies from my dh and has been sneezing in her sleep and all day long for the past 3 weeks. Not being able to blow her nose too well, it must be rather uncomfortable, though luckily she is a trooper.
Has anyone used any good remedies to help allergies or has had success in any other way?
#2 of 6 Old 05-07-2003, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
our whole family has allergies, and they get worse or better as we cross state lines and as the seasons change. our five year old was bad enough that he had been on zyrtec starting at age two and singulair for a couple of years before we decided to leave the molds, mildews, and weather changes of chicago for the different allergens of phoenix. now our third child has allergy-induced asthma even though the oldest is better. our baby was hospitalized twice in a six week period. we give him pulmicort by nebulizer once daily for the asthma which has kept him healthy for over a month and has less side effects than oral steroids. the oldest occasionally takes zyrtec here in arizona but the change helped him a lot. we have often used triaminic cough and allergy tablets for our oldest when we were out of town or the prescription was unavailable for a day or two because we are scatterbrained. zyrtec is intense stuff and does do the job, but the triaminic worked one day (or two or three day) wonders from time to time. AIR CLEANERS with HEPA filters help us and WE NEVER LET ANYONE SMOKE around our child. If i am cleaning (which is rare enough unfortunately) they are not allowed to be in the room and sometimes we just have to deal with the constant clear nasal drip and the coughing and sneezing and then in a few days they are much better. GOOD LUCK and i hope that helps. at least maybe it will keep the thread alive
#3 of 6 Old 05-07-2003, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the info! Sounds like you have lots of sniffling going on in your house. When my dd was 18 months I took her to an allergist. She had the scratch test done and everything came up negative. At that age those tests are pretty inconclusive. The dr. said she has asthma and put her on a nebulizer. I didn't agree with his assesment, it was made too quickly and conveniently. So I chose not to use it. She has had congestion since then (she is now 3) but nothing horrific or life threatening.Sadly enough, she doesn't know any different so It doesn't even bother her that much.

I've been checking around on the internet for some natural remedies and found some info on a product called hydroxygenplus. A type of oxygen therapy that supposedly has many uses, and it sounds like it can help allergies. I may give it a try.I'll post a thread if I do and it works.
#4 of 6 Old 05-07-2003, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the info! Sounds like you have lots of sniffling going on in your house. When my dd was 18 months I took her to an allergist. She had the scratch test done and everything came up negative. At that age those tests are pretty inconclusive. The dr. said she has asthma and put her on a nebulizer. I didn't agree with his assesment, it was made too quickly and conveniently. So I chose not to use it. She has had congestion since then (she is now 3) but nothing horrific or life threatening.Sadly enough, she doesn't know any different so It doesn't even bother her that much.

I've been checking around on the internet for some natural remedies and found some info on a product called hydroxygenplus. A type of oxygen therapy that supposedly has many uses, and it sounds like it can help allergies. I may give it a try.I'll post a thread if I do and it works.
#5 of 6 Old 05-07-2003, 08:11 PM

i have allergies myself, i am allergic to CHOCOLATE of all things, as well as some seasonal allergiens and dust. my daughter occasionally breaks out in hives, and may have inherited my evil choco allergy.... i do a couple of things that i feel really help keep symptoms to a minimum. my son, 2 years old with asthma, and i eat verrry minimal dairy. i have milk in my coffee in the am and that is about all the dairy i eat. i believe any congestion/inflammation can greatly benefit from getting rid of dairy, and i have seen it work a few times. we take vitamin C daily, and i drink a daily tea of mostly nettles (with other flavorful things added like mint, lavender, burdock, etc.) nettles in tea or tincture daily can be of great benefit to clear congestion. we also eat local honey all spring and summer (when it is most available here in new england). i have a vacuum with a HEPA and have replaced most of our carpeting with wood. i like burdock, dandelion, and occasional courses of astragalus and echinacea to boost and balance my immunities and resistance to allergens.

we also use antihistamine when necessary. my daughter uses zyrtec as needed for hives, and i take sudafed with anithistamine when i feel itchy or have bad sinus headaches. my son uses pulmicort in the neb every other day once a day. (usual recommendation is twice a day every day) i resisted this for a long time, and it is a hard choice to come to, but i have found that a very minimal dose makes a big difference for him. he too had chronic cough and caught every cold around, but now is much improved. it is a steroid, but it is far from a systemic steroid in that when inhaled it pretty much stays "in the business area" as my MD says. over time some does get into the bloodstream, but it is nowhere near what you can imagine with prednisone. it has worked well for us and none of my fears about it have been realized. the only pain is it can cause thrush, so you have to be careful to rinse after each use. my son also eats chewable acidophilus tablets a few times a week, and we have not had a problem.
#6 of 6 Old 05-08-2003, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

It sounds like you have battled the same indecisions that I am going through. You want to use the most natural and holistic products but you also want to use what gives immediate, effective relief to them.

I have been giving my daughter a couple of homeopathic remedies and I have wanted to try nettles on her but there is no way she would drink tea. She is way to set in her 3 year old ways to try something new like that. Maybe if it was chocolate flavor.

I also give her vit c every day and occasional echinecea as well.We have tried the local honey idea, she eats is almost every day, but it doesn't really make a difference.When she was younger, I was pretty convinced she had a dairy allergy and put her on rice milk. At this point I am not sure if that is the case, but she won't drink anything other than rice milk so dairy isn't a huge issue.

I think I will take her to an allergist, though every year the doctors tell me it isn't conclusive when they are age 1....2....probably 3. I have been afraid she will develop a sinus infection from all of the congestion because my husband gets them so often, but knock wood, so far she hasn't gotten any.

Thanks so much for all of the good info!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page