Is silent reflux always triggered by allergies (breastfed baby)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're pretty sure ds has silent reflux. We tried Zantac for a few weeks but it didn't totally help. I'm dairy-free but it's obvious something else is triggering the reflux. Here's the question- will he reflux regardless of what I'm eating, or is it definitely an allergy thing? We are considering a trial on hypoallergenic formula to see if it helps him feel better, but I am scared that we'll get him on formula and it won't totally help and he'll still be fussy. If he's going to be fussy anyway, I'd rather keep breastfeeding, KWIM? I just need to do something to help him; I feel like I'm not spending as much time as I should with the other 3 kids because I'm having to hold a crying baby all the time. Not to mention I want the baby to just feel better!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 06:48 PM

Nope. Evan had reflux independent of allergies, as does Ilana. Now eating the wrong thing makes it worse and in Evan's case the meds barely helped until we fixed our diet.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 01-02-2007, 07:58 PM

:

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
Old 01-02-2007, 09:00 PM

No, it's not always triggered by allergies. It's quite common to have a baby with no allergies still have reflux. The usual cause in these cases is immature system. Most babies (or at least a whole lot of them) spit up in the first 6 mos or a year. Most of them outgrow it with no problems. Most are okay. Some suffer due to the acidity.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 01-05-2007, 05:22 PM

Have you thought about trying an elimination diet (eliminating the top 8 allergens) for yourself rather than trying your baby on a hypoallergenic formula? That way you could rule out allergies...
Old 01-05-2007, 07:27 PM

no, although allergies can be a common reason, it could also be a structural problem. An immature sphincter.

Reflux sucks. My 4th had a terrible case, but his wasn't silent, he puked ALL DAY! Funny moments now, no so back then.

I did a talk about this at a LLL conference and found lots of support groups online.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried eliminating foods, but the problem is he also has allergic colitis (the allergic colitis' gas may actually be what is causing the reflux). We went through the whole allergic colitis thing with ds1 and after MONTHS of "experimenting" I was never able to get him totally better. The GI told me that the allergic colitis, while it IS outgrown by 1 year old in most cases, does not respond to elimination dieting a lot of the time.

Now I'm sure that his problems are related to allergies, and not just a structural thing, because last night I went to a dinner with dh and know I consumed some cheese (mixed in the dish). Today ds has been VERY upset and has pooped 3 or 4 times, green, mucusy, watery, acid-smelling.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:18 AM

if you think it's allergies, try getting some probiotics. i was just reading today in the "healing the gut tribe thread" that the ones with l. reuteri in it have actually been shown clinically to help, as well as all of the "anecdotal" evidence for probiotics helping with allergies. for baby you mix a little powder with a bit (tablespoon) of water, then spoon feed. mama also take them.

if you had antibiotics during pregnancy (or frequent use during your life), it can disrupt your natural flora, the flora that baby gets exposed to on his way out in birth, which then colonize his GI tract. or if he got antibiotics, his gut flora will be out of whack and make him more suceptible to allergies.

my signature is usually illegible
Old 01-06-2007, 02:41 AM

Have you taken the baby for any structural work? It can be a sign of allergies, but it can also be a structural issue. An immature system can be dealt with very effectively with CST. A baby that is throwing up constantly is having a sympathetic response and is generally unable to right him or herself. It is a vicious cycle. THe more they throw up the more out of whack they get. CST can bring the balance between the parasympathetic and sympathetic system. I highly recommend trying it before resorting to formula. IT often works quickly enough that you can see results and know you are making progress. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerluddite View Post
if you had antibiotics during pregnancy (or frequent use during your life), it can disrupt your natural flora, the flora that baby gets exposed to on his way out in birth, which then colonize his GI tract. or if he got antibiotics, his gut flora will be out of whack and make him more suceptible to allergies.
I haven't had antibiotics in about 3 years, and didn't really have them frequently during my life. Ds has not had any antibiotics.

We tried probiotics with ds1 when he was dealing with this, and they did not help.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Have you taken the baby for any structural work? It can be a sign of allergies, but it can also be a structural issue. An immature system can be dealt with very effectively with CST. A baby that is throwing up constantly is having a sympathetic response and is generally unable to right him or herself. It is a vicious cycle. THe more they throw up the more out of whack they get. CST can bring the balance between the parasympathetic and sympathetic system. I highly recommend trying it before resorting to formula. IT often works quickly enough that you can see results and know you are making progress. Good luck.
Um, no offense, but this sounds pretty weird to me... (not to mention, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to someone who is not familiar with CST)... You are welcome to elaborate and explain what the terms mean, but I doubt this is something I will pursue...
Old 01-06-2007, 04:34 PM

I'm sorry if it sounds weird. A physical therapist or occupational therapist could maybe explain it better than I. IF you are interested you can pursue it. It sounds like you aren't though.

I have no way of knowing who is and who isn't familiar with bodywork. I was just offering help.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3inclothdiapers View Post
Um, no offense, but this sounds pretty weird to me... (not to mention, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to someone who is not familiar with CST)... You are welcome to elaborate and explain what the terms mean, but I doubt this is something I will pursue...
i'm a physical therapist, and know just enough about CST (one 3 hour seminar in grad school, and observing work on my two dd's) to be utterly confused, and not be much use in explaining it to those not familiar with anatomy. with that in mind i'll give it a shot.

first off, it helps to not think of the body as a fixed structure, like a chair, but as a lot of tiny animals (individual cells) who work/live together. like a corporation, say. some corporations work well and smoothly, some muddle along and get tied up in backbiting and self defeating behaviors (like government )

our bodies have structure, but it can move (like the big muscles you're aware of; biceps, quads, diaphragm, gut peristalsis) and remodel (like your growing child, healing skin).

a lot of movement goes on at the cellular level, like tiny single muscle cells wrapped around blood vessels. you see the effect of them moving when you blush: they relax, and vessels get bigger so they hold more red blood, and your face turns pink.

movement also takes place at the molecular level, as we sweat, make tears/saliva/urine, absorb and transport food/O2.

all these cells that make us up are held together by structures we make (like we make hair and fingernails) like elastin and collagen and the calcium crystals in bone. they are part of the "extracellular matrix" which is anything that isn't a living cell. you can see elastin and collagen if you prepare raw meat; it's the tissuey, filmy stuff separating and holding the muscles/organs/nerves/vessels together, allowing them to slide around when we move, but not fall into a heap/puddle on the floor. they also make up non-contractile tissue like tendons and ligaments. there are living cells embedded in the collagen and elastin; they are in charge of doing maintenance so it remains strong but stretchy (and just the right ammount stretchy).

there are also fluid transport systems: blood circulatory, lymph circulatory, and cerebrospinal circulatory. the heart pumps blood out into the arteries, the big muscles squeeze on the veins and push blood back to the heart, the lymph vessels allow extra fluid to seep into them and then the muscles squeeze it back to the heart where it's mixed into the blood again.

your brain and spinal cord (central nervous system = CNS) are bathed in cerebrospinal fluid, it circulates and brings in food/O2 received by exchange across a membrane (the "blood/brain barrier") from the bloodstream. there's no blood in the brain/spinal cord. it's too dangerous: blood is very corrosive and nerves don't heal well, which is why neurological injuries are so devastating. the brain and spinal nerves communicate to the rest of the nerves outside the CNS, and those nerves are different types that we classify in systems named "sympathetic, parasympathetic, autonomic", and such, sort of based on how much voluntary control there is or what they're in charge of.

the cerebrospinal fluid circulates another way than blood/lymph, and i'm sorry, but i've forgotten exactly how. big blank here, and unfortunately this is where the CST comes in. craniosacral therapy (CST) is bodywork (like massage) that works to make a change/effect on the circulation of cerebralspinal fluid, and structures related to the nerves, because if the nerves have dysfunction, then they don't tell the rest of the body how to work properly, and then organs and smooth muscles don't work properly. smooth muscle are the tiny muscles that make a lot of stuff move through organs (like milk letdown, bile secretion), and determine what part of the body gets how much blood (like blushing). if organs don't get enough blood they don't work properly. CST also works directly on the elastin and collagen holding the organs together, because when it (elas/col) is damaged it gets bound down and tight (called adhesions), like a snarl in a pair of nylon stockings. so ducts/vessels can get squished and not allow proper flow of fluids, or organs can get squished and not allow proper function because there's not enough space, or tight corners, or such. imagine if you tried to put on a sweater that was half inside out; how would you get in? or think of clogged plumbing not allowing your sink to drain. CST works on straightening out the kinks and providing good circulation (thus nutrition) in the CNS.

i just previewed this and it's lonnnnng. would you believe i left a lot out? i hope it's helpful to you, or to someone.

my signature is usually illegible
Old 01-08-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerluddite View Post
i just previewed this and it's lonnnnng. would you believe i left a lot out? i hope it's helpful to you, or to someone.
Me. I know it's worked for some with colic and with reflux.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
Old 01-08-2007, 07:33 PM

CST helped Liam's reflux a lot. He was born what my midwife sometimes calls an exorcist baby. His head was anterior, but his body was posterior when he was born. Yes his head was facing completely backwards. This really strained his neck and he kept his whole body twisted and scrunched until we took him to the chiropractor.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:41 AM

Yup. It stopped the refluxing in both my kids. It also got me little girl off of being tube fed and onto the breast. Kept her out of the hospital too.

User Tag List