Probiotics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-21-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 12 week old son who is ebf. He has been having bloody stools occasionally. I am on an elimination diet, but he is still having them. Does anyone have a recommendation for a probiotic(or experience with this situation) that would be good for an infant and one specifically for this problem(colitis-bloody stool)?

Thanks.

Robin

Momma to Paige 2-2-04 and Alec 10-31-06
#2 of 11 Old 01-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Banned

Honestly, I would not introduce anything except breastmilk to a baby under 6 months of age.
#3 of 11 Old 01-21-2007, 09:03 PM

There are several allergen free probiotics that you can take. They should be available at your local hfs. Check the labels, they usually say right on them that they are free of dairy, soy, wheat, corn, etc, etc.

I have also heard the probiotics at Kirkman Labs are good ones. They are online. I think they may have a small amount of dairy contamination which may or may not be a problem depending if that's one of your baby's allergies (very likely) and how sensitive he is. Good luck!
#4 of 11 Old 01-21-2007, 09:39 PM

My DD had the same thing. The blood in the stool finally went away (after months of happening sporadically) when I found her a dairy-free probiotic. I used Solaray BabyLife and gave her twice the recommended dosage, so IIRC she was getting a scoop four times a day. She was three months old when the blood in the stool started and about 8 months when I finally found the BabyLife. If I knew then what I know now, I would have given her probiotics from birth.
#5 of 11 Old 01-22-2007, 12:03 AM

We need one too, but the problem is most are cultured on dairy. We tried Baby Jarrow w/ Evan and he reacted. I think Ilana and I both need one though and the GI reccomended it so I'm torn. I would look into Kirkman's, they are highly respected on kids w/ food allergies. Are you doing the Sears elimination diet?

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#6 of 11 Old 01-22-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I am sort of doing my own version of the Sear's elimination. I am eating chicken instead of turkey and am eating more fruits than he includes. Basically, for me I have been eating oatmeal, rice, potatos, fruit, lettuce, chicken, and some organic salad dressings that I got from WFs. I have also just been using olive oil and sunflower oil.

My son is doing great but I can clearly see (from his bm's) that his gut is not healed. Does Whole Foods carry any probiotics? I will be making a trip there later. So, if breastfeeding, I should take it, too?? I know nothing about this stuff....:
#7 of 11 Old 01-22-2007, 01:16 PM

I would take it too, but I would also look at limiting your diet more. It's hard, but I know Evan reacted to pretty much all foods I ate at his worst. Ideally you'd stay on the super base diet till there is no more blood. I did turkey, carrots, pears, and rice and was able to add lettuce and chicken before I decided to wean. Evan however reacted to turkey and carrots when he ate them. It took a long time to heal.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#8 of 11 Old 01-27-2007, 01:42 PM

Please see the post about bifidus and infant gut sealing up in Healing the Gut Tribe Cheat Sheet.

BabyLife is the correct strain of B. infantis supported by research and is dairy free. You can take it too. My Whole Foods carries it in refrigerated section.
#9 of 11 Old 01-27-2007, 01:43 PM

Please do not vax or give antibiotics.
#10 of 11 Old 01-27-2007, 04:56 PM

just wanted to echo a pp's comments about the diet. the more strict it is, the more worthwhile. i flubbed it up and thus had to extend how long i was on the really limiting part of it.

and specifically about oatmeal--- it is usu. contaminated by wheat, which is a very common allergen for babes.

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

#11 of 11 Old 01-27-2007, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Please do not vax or give antibiotics.
Just curious, are you posting this just as a "in general" or specifically related to the blood in the stool?

I haven't vaxed yet, we do a delayed schedule, but is there a reason based on the blood that I should hold off for a long time?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page