Cat Allergy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, this is my first time on the allergy forum. We were recently thinking about adopting a cat, but then my dd said "Isn't ds allergic to cats?" I'd forgotten all about that. He has been to stay overnight at my MILs house several times, and most of the time he has come home and she has mentioned he'd had runny/red eyes. But I've never seen anything wrong with his eyes, and he never seems to have a problem when he is back at home. You have to bear in mind that my MIL totally thrives on illness, and my kids have come home with headaches, coughs and what not that don't seem to exist 5 minutes after she's gone. However, the eyes thing has been pretty consistent. We are assuming that he is allergic to my ILs cat.

I was just looking for a bit more info about pet allergies. If its not the cat what could it be? They don't smoke or anything. We had a stray cat come and live with us for about 6 months. He didn't seem to react to the cat at all then. But he wasn't in close contact with the cat. (It was a vicious thing that would take your hand off!) The cat did sleep on the top bunk in his bedroom during the day though. I was thinking my ILs house will be filled with cat allergens, as the cat has been there for years. We had the stray cat with us for a short time - maybe not long enough to build up tons of allergens?

We have two rabbits that he doesn't seem to react to, and my parents have had dogs since before he was born, and he seems fine with them too. I'm just a bit shocked that he is allergic to something. None of my family or kids have any allergies to anything. Is it a genetic thing? Can it be cured? I'm also wondering what we can do for him if he goes to stay at MILs again.

Sorry for all the questions. This is all very new to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2007, 09:04 PM

Cat allergies are really really common.

I would have your son tested first, before you get an animal. We recently had to give up my cat of 8 years because my DD is allergic. It was like giving up one child for another almost.

DD had a RAST test done, but if they are over 2 - an allergist would do a skin test.

Dog and cat and rabbit all have diffrent allergens. Cat allergens can build up. Also, you can be allergic to one cat and not another - although most people who are allergic are allergic to all cats. If the cat is allowed to sleep where you are, it is worse for the person with the allergy. I would ask your MIL (if your son is truely allergic) to keep the cat out of his bedroom and to wash his bedding and walls down. I have had to lay down the law with my own mother on this one.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauchtanz View Post
Also, you can be allergic to one cat and not another - although most people who are allergic are allergic to all cats.
I have a mild cat allergy and have found that short haired cats bother me more, as do strange (not living in my house) cats. I had heard before that you are less allergic to cats you raise from kittens. I don't know if that's true or not, but it definitely ties in to being less allergic to my own cats.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. Really interesting about being allergic to one cat and not another. We have decided not to adopt a cat. It would be really awful for ds and for the cat if we got it and then had to find a new home for it. We are probably going to rescue a retired racing greyhound instead.

I'd be quite interested in having my son tested for allegies. He has had many issues. Screaming constantly as a baby, odd behavioural issues as a toddler, being tired a lot of the time etc. I always wondered if it might be something to do with allergies.

Thanks again for the advice.

User Tag List