Alternatives to milk based and soy formula - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 1 yr old ds has had about 3 ear infections and seems to be stuffy a good amount of time. I started taking him to the chiropractor...he hasnt been going very long 3wks maybe, with little/no improvment. Anyway he is primarly formula feed he is on a little bit of solid foods , not enough to sustain him though. I had thought that maybe he had some milk allergies and the chiro also recommened trying soy formula. I have reservations on switching from milk to soy...not sure it would be any better. Anyway I was wondering if there any alternatives to soy or milk based formulas. Unfortunetly breastfeeding is not an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 06:32 PM

There is, but they are expensive and taste horrible (to the point where a lot of kids won't eat it.) I can't remember the names of them, though I know at least one mom here used them. Honestly, I'd try soy first.

Mama of three.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Banned

http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr...soy_story.html

&
book "The Whole Soy Story. The Dark Side of Soy"
Old 01-24-2007, 04:16 PM

I personally wouldn't do soy. Nutramigen is hypo-allergenic and a good option those who are allergic to dairy. It does taste kind of nasty though. Another hypoallergenic formula is Neocate, it's more expensive but tastes better. You can get info on their website www.neocate.com. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:19 AM

Neocate and Elecare are the only non milk or soy based formulas I know of. Nutramigen and Alimentum are casein hyrosylate and Carnation Good Start is a whey hydrolysate, I think. I might be wrong aboutthe Carnation one. Anyway, those are milk based, but the milk is broken down quite a bit, so dairy intolerant/allergic babies usually tolerate them well. I would try Nutramigen or Alimentum first and if they don't work try Neocate or Elecare. I think it's elecare that makes flavored formulas for toddlers and children. I think it's called EO28 or something like that.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:20 AM

Quote:
I think it's elecare that makes flavored formulas for toddlers and children. I think it's called EO28 or something like that.
Neocate makes a toddler formula too.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:59 AM

My son was on Neocate (that stuff is foul smelling blech!) and is now on Alimentum (much better--and he likes it more).

I would start with Alimentum (have heard it tastes better than Nutramigen). If that doesn't work then you'd have to do the prescription ones like Neocate or Elecare
Old 01-26-2007, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your replies. OH MY those formulas are sooo expensive! My son was actually on neocate for a while. Not for allergies, I didnt know that it was used for that as well. Terrible smelling and taste nasty too(yes i did ). My son didnt seem to mind it at the time...i think he would now though. We had WIC at the time and was also still bf some.Im not sure what Im going to do. I did buy a can of soy just to see if it would make a differnce. So i can know if is allergic to milk not for long term. If he is allergic to milk and not soy, how long would it take me to see a difference? Its only been two days but he seems more conjested than before. : My mom suggested that i give him rice milk...I just dont think it has enough for such a young child. I did see a toddler formula w/vitamins and such, that was rice based. It had 0 fat I think little babies need a little fat.
I was able to bf my dd for two years...how I miss the simplicity!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can't he eat more solids? Kids don't *need* milk (except for mama milk, of course!)....I would think that solids and table food could make up the bulk of his diet, and then maybe supplement with some of the hypoallergenic formula.

Have you tried goat's milk? My ds1 is allergic to dairy but does okay with goat milk.

Almond milk is better than rice milk, IMO. More vitamins.

My ds2 self weaned at about 17months, and we never added milk after that...he just had food and the occasional cup of almond or rice milk.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Old 01-26-2007, 04:52 PM

Yeah, I agree w/ grisandole, but it can be hard to get enough fat and protein into little toddlers if they can't have dairy and aren't nursing. You have to remember to put oil on everything you feed him, basically.

I would NOT give almond milk to a baby who has signs of allergies, though. Nuts shouldn't be given to allergic kids (no matter what they're allergic to) until they're 3-4 years old, to prevent severe nut allergies.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:51 PM

I agree...a 1 yr old doesnt need cows milk (or soy for that matter). If you want to boost fats you could do some avocado, add oil (we use olive) to foods etc. I would use rice milk if you are looking for a substitute for use on cereal etc but if its just for drinking I don't think it necessary. I would not do almond milk if you suspect allergy......my 3.5 yr old son is egg allergic and the allergist told us not to try fish, shellfish or peanut until he is 4 (and we wont do tree nuts at all due to me being allergic)
Old 01-27-2007, 01:09 AM

There is a meat-based formula available here- http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html That would be doable for a toddler. I've used it before when my nursing toddlers needed an extra boost in nutrition.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoptChina View Post
I agree...a 1 yr old doesnt need cows milk (or soy for that matter). If you want to boost fats you could do some avocado, add oil (we use olive) to foods etc.

Except that those choices don't have cholesterol which is essential for brain development (Dr. Sears site talks about this)
Old 01-27-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Except that those choices don't have cholesterol which is essential for brain development (Dr. Sears site talks about this)
Very true. I weaned my ds1 at 15 mos (longish story) and he also had a lot of food allergies/intolerances (which I am finding out is common for people on the spectrum?) I tried to make sure he had some fatty meat, like lamb at least once a week, and salmon as well. I was vegan at the time, except for the ocassional salmon, but I still made lamb for him. Cholesterol is a very important fat for brain development, from what I've read, which is why I'm confused by formulas claiming that the DHA and whatever help brain development, when they take all of the cholesterol out of even the milk based formulas.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:59 AM

I had to formula feed my dd due to a breastmilk production issue and, if I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the homemade meat-based formula referenced above.

User Tag List