Confused over skin test results - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-26-2007, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love some input on this one. I have a history of food allergies. After years of random fainting/hives type attacks that worsened over time I was diagnosed with Food-associated exercise-induced anaphylaxis. Here's an explanation:

Quote:
This is an increasingly recognized form of anaphylaxis. It occurs only when the patient exercises within 2 to 4 hours of eating a food, but in the absence of exercise the patient can eat the food without any apparent reaction. Patients are usually atopic and have a positive skin prick test response to the food that provokes their symptoms. Occasionally they have a history of reacting to the food when they were younger. This disorder appears to be more prevalent in the late teens to mid-thirties....studies report females to be affected twice as commonly as males. The exact mechanism(s) involved in this disorder are unknown. It is speculated that the food hypersensitivity is subthreshold for the mast cells to degranulate & exercise is required as a co-factor to achieve the correct threshold. Wheat is the most common food (in my experience) associated with this disorder, however several others have been implicated, including shellfish, fish, celery, fruit, and milk.
http://www.allergyclinic.co.nz/guides/14.html

Basically, I could eat one of my allergens, like tomatoes, and be OK, unless I got my blood going - ie exercise, lots of activity, heat, etc. Then I'd go into anaphylaxis. In 2001 I had testing done and the worst offenders were tomatoes and oranges. I had skin testing done a few weeks ago and my results were totally different from 5 years ago -negative on tomato and oranges, but a quick, severe reaction to peanuts and sesame and pretty bad ones to soy and almonds. The only consistent result was hazelnuts. Here's the weird part that I don't get....peanuts and almonds are in my diet almost daily and I've *never* reacted. I eat a peanut protein bar or almonds on the way to the gym before almost every workout. I liberally use sesame seeds in cooking and munch tons of edemame - and I haven't had a reaction in over 3 years.

The only answer I got from the doctor was "Wow, I can't believe you've never had a reaction. You need to eliminate those foods from your diet, though." I just don't get it and I'm confused...:

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#2 of 2 Old 01-26-2007, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I might ask for a blood test; our allergist says skin tests can have false positives even in people for whom skin tests are useful. Rast tests are more prone to false negatives, but if you did in fact have a nut allergy of a severe sort you should, I think, see a blood test result with a high number.

Is this an allergist? Can you get a second opinion?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page