Eczema question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2003, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'm not even sure what Ds has is Eczema. He had a tiny mild (no itching) patch or two of eczema when he was a few months old - that cleared up. He was fine for awhile.

Then about 2 months ago we went to the emergency room for his pneumonia- and the dr. pointed out this dime sized spot on his chest of redness - a little bumpy- and she said that it was heat rash and that it was nothing to worry about.

It seemed that would come and go- and it also started underneath his chin- so since it was coming and going I kind of figured it was heat rash.

But now he has a big patch - pretty much covering all underneath his chin and around his collarbone- that has stayed pretty consistently for about 1.5 months. And it does seem to itch him a bit. His Ped. saw him and said it was normal and prescribed some mild (1%) hydrocortisone cream for it. We used it and quite frankly it doesn't seem to help. I've also tried Aquaphor and some Burts Bees cream on it. Nothing seems to help lately.

I'm not even sure it is exzema. Doc. didn't seem too concerned about it- but I am. I have always been eating dairy and such - and he has seemed fine- so why the big problem now starting at about 10 months (he's almost a year now). He was even eating dairy fine (loved yogurt and cheese) well before the flare up.

Any thoughts? Not really sure what I should do. I have been bf'ing- but just lately have tried small sips of cows milk- which he seems fine with. - no trouble digesting it- no noticeable problems-(other than the rash of course).

I don't want to sound bad or get blasted or anything- but if he loves his yogurt/cheese and such- and has no problem digesting it- is there a way to treat the eczema without having him give that up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2003, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unfortunately if you want to see if dairy is the culprit you will have to eliminate the yogurt and cheese. Ds has eczema too which is under control without the use of drugs by eliminating dairy. After he had been off of it for a while I reintroduced cheese, which he can tolerate. I haven't tried yogurt again though. This site has a chart of what lactose levels are in different dairy products:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...er/percent.htm
Gotta run sorry.

User Tag List