adhesive allergy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we've recently discovered our 3 year old daughter has an allergy to the adhesive used in standard band-aids. she had a minor scrape which she asked her grandmother to cover with a bandaid. after a few days, i peeked under the band-aid and saw it was scaly and bright red. thinking it needed to be cleaned, i took off the band-aid, cleaned it and applied first aid cream. she begged for another band-aid, so i covered the area with 2 band-aids going the opposite way of the original so they wouldn't touch the area. just a couple days later, the whole area was red and oozing yellow everywhere the band-aids touched her skin.
obviously, we know not to put band-aids on her anymore. however, she IS three and enjoys accessorizing with bandages occassionally. i know there are hypoallergenic tapes and the like, but most are plain white which is a far cry from her fancy dora band-aids. a friend said, when her daughter was in the children's hospital, they used that plastic "tape" that only sticks to itself and had a giant variety of colors and patterns. unfortunately, that stuff is a little on the expensive side for just dressing up her legs. does anyone have any ideas for us?
#2 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 02:05 PM

First off, if band-aids still use natural rubber latex adhesive, you could have more than an adhesive reaction on your hands.

That said, if your daughter has really sensitive skin, she might react to any adhesive that pulls at her skin. She might not, though.

3M uses silicone adhesives in their products. They have all sorts of nifty designs and styles. Sparkle bandages are latex-free. I think the CVS storebrand bandages are now latex-free, but I don't know if they're fancy.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#3 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 03:04 PM

wrong post wrong place

I have that hold on

I have a reaction to cloth bandages the adhesive but no other type

could it also have been a yeast infection or something else

the same bandaid on for a few days?

8 might be enough
#4 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 03:14 PM

ITA w/ jocelyndale. We use the 3M bandaids. They also make paper ones that are great for super sensitive people (like me. )
#5 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
I am such a baby I got the flu, I got the runs..I actually had an accident in my pants today.... luckily it was at home but still BOO HOO

Any advice?

husband is comming home from work thank goodness...
the glamerous life eh?
I think you meant to post this in health an healing. I understand you were in a hurry, though. Eat the BRAT diet. I'm not sure what else you can do. Hope you're feeling better soon!
#6 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 03:30 PM

I don't know but are you supposed to keep the same bandaid on for more than a day? It sounds to me especially if you got the bandaid wet, bathed...

try her a bandaid on a dry area of skin that has no cut and see what happens for 24 hours.

8 might be enough
#7 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 04:52 PM

My friend is a nurse and she said there are quite a few patients with adhesive allergies, but not latex allergies. It could be some other chemical in the bandages. In fact, if you do a search for chemical sensitivities, you can find a whole slew of chemicals that are sometimes used in adhesives. It could be any one. Just recently I read that corn is sometimes used to produce adhesive (we have a corn allergy, which is why this is interesting to me). Also, I reacted to adhesive in the hospital 2 years ago, but I never had before that time (corn allergy developed around the same time, btw).
#8 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 04:56 PM

One of my dd is bothered by certain kinds of bandages. I thinks its cloth ones that bother her.
#9 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

a friend mentioned the latex allergy, so i've been thinking about that, too. this is the first time she's ever had a reaction and has had adhesive bandages on before, so we're really baffled as to why it popped up NOW.
it doesn't look like yeast, which is what we thought it might be at first, until we noticed it was only on the skin the band-aid touched.
she hasn't shown any reaction to anything else (food related, etc.), so i think it's purely this (hope i'm not wrong!). i'll pick up some 3-m bandages and see if she can use those.
thank you!
#10 of 14 Old 02-10-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
One of my dd is bothered by certain kinds of bandages. I thinks its cloth ones that bother her.
Yes, the cloth ones bother me the most as well. THe 3M ones are mostly plastic unless you get the paper ones. We get the paper ones and the "tattoos."
#11 of 14 Old 02-11-2007, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No previous reaction is actually not relevent. Allergies can develop if you've got the genetic tendency. As far as I can tell, exposure has an effect on what a person might end up being allergic to.

Pay attention to what she's reacted to, and you might be able to correlate and figure out what the offending substance is.

"What will you do once you know?"
#12 of 14 Old 02-11-2007, 01:55 AM

I react to every bandage adhesive that I've ever tried, although not as severely as your dd. My skin turns bright red and scaly and sometimes tears off with the bandage. After I've worn a bandage or medical tape, it leaves a red mark in the area for sometimes week after I've removed the bandage.

If it's in a smallish spot, like a finger or an arm, you can wrap gauze around the whole finger or arm or whatever and tie it off, or use an ace bandage to hold it in place. Often, I either grin and bear it with the bandage for a little while or just go without, to be honest.
#13 of 14 Old 02-11-2007, 09:34 PM

uuuhhh, this thread reminded me of something. I had a stress test done for complaints of heart pain and geesshh, the nurse put those sticky pads on my chest and like sides around my ribs. It starting burning so bad within seconds and I could not wait until they came off. I had square marks for 5 weeks after that!!!

My 2 yr old is allergic to all adhesives and will actually welt up, get bright red and ooze for days just for an hour or two of adhesives on him. He has had a lot of surgeries so we couldn't find anything that didn't make him react. Last June he had the Nissen and we had to use Tegaderm over the incisions and foley's for 8 weeks and it was just torture on him.
#14 of 14 Old 02-15-2007, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

the 3m bandages work! she got her cast off (finally) the other day and doesn't want to see the incision site. i bought some 3m band-aids and they aren't causing a reaction! i'm so happy. thank you!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page