Tiny red dots around mouth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-16-2007, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello mamas!! I appreciate any help on this. We have been dealing with food sensitivity in my dd, and in the process discovered sensitivities in my ds#1, but we were thinking that from all that we had learned, my ds#2 didn't exhibit any signs of allergy/sensitivity. After elimination diets, and beginning many cultured foods and probiotics, now he is often getting tiny red dots around his mouth, and a red ring on his bottom sometimes too. Do any of you know if this is indicative of a certain kind of problem, and could it be related to cleaning out his system, or do you think definately a sign of allergy? Thanks all.
#2 of 12 Old 02-16-2007, 11:35 PM

Dairy is my first guess.
#3 of 12 Old 02-16-2007, 11:59 PM

A red ring around the anus is supposedly a sign of allergy in infants.

The tiny red dots around the mouth could be allergy, or just irritation from a highly acidic food.
#4 of 12 Old 02-17-2007, 12:11 AM

The red dots around the mouth sound like hives, which is a sign of serious allergies, not a sensitivity. I would cut all dairy, which I assume is what you mean by clutured products, since this a common allergy. My nephew has anaphylaxis w/ dairy. THe red ring is also a sign of allergies, especially if her poop is mucousy.
#5 of 12 Old 02-17-2007, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
The red dots around the mouth sound like hives, which is a sign of serious allergies, not a sensitivity. I would cut all dairy, which I assume is what you mean by clutured products, since this a common allergy. My nephew has anaphylaxis w/ dairy. THe red ring is also a sign of allergies, especially if her poop is mucousy.
: This is kind of what I was thinking and afraid of. Most of the signs in my other two kidlets are signs of IGg reactions, food sensitivities. They are usually delayed, and I was worried that these red bumps might be more of a classical allergy symptom. Why would they start now I wonder? Like I said, he was the one that hitherto (he is almost 3) had none of the other problems my ds#1 and dd have as babies:

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
#6 of 12 Old 02-17-2007, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajaillet View Post
: This is kind of what I was thinking and afraid of. Most of the signs in my other two kidlets are signs of IGg reactions, food sensitivities. They are usually delayed, and I was worried that these red bumps might be more of a classical allergy symptom. Why would they start now I wonder? Like I said, he was the one that hitherto (he is almost 3) had none of the other problems my ds#1 and dd have as babies:

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
My only experience is with classical (IgE) allergies, and you can develop those kinds of allergies at any time. I developed nickel and pollen allergies as an adult.

I know very little about IgG mediated allergies, the IgE stuff on the other hand, I can talk about in lots of detail.
#7 of 12 Old 02-17-2007, 10:43 AM

We have experience w/ both IgE and IgG allergies. Liam has several of each. Some people like to brush off IgG allergies, but they are just as worthy of attention and avoidance as IgE allergies b/c of the dicomfort/sickness they cause.

You can develop either type of allergy anytime in your life. On fact, the more you are exposed, the greater your chances are of becoming allergic. Which is why the top 8 most common food allergies list contain some of the most common foods in the SAD. Wheat, milk, eggs, soy (soy and dairy are added to things they have no business being in!)
#8 of 12 Old 02-17-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I agree that the IGg mediated allergies are weighty issues. The behavior aspect of these allergies is very significant for us. I just have always been relieved that we don't have to worry about any becoming anaphalaxis. This is slightly OT, but I am wondering if it is time for an allergy test, both IGe and IGg, do any of you have experience with testing? Is it worth it?
#9 of 12 Old 02-17-2007, 05:56 PM

Well, Liam tested neg to everything, including the things he has an IgE type reaction to. And the IgG testing is not very controlled yet and is very inaccurate. So I'm not keen on either, I guess.
#10 of 12 Old 02-17-2007, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

So you figuered them all out through elimination diet?
#11 of 12 Old 02-17-2007, 10:39 PM

Yes. I did an elimination diet before seeing the allergist. I think most people have better experiences w/ regular IgE tests. As in one or both (SPT or CAP-RAST) gives them results consistent w/ their dc's allergies. But there are always people who get some or all false positives or negatives. Even though the tests came back neg (ds actually had 1 pos--egg w/ SPT), the allergist ws great and told me I was doing all the right things w/ breastfeeding and doing the ED. From what I've heard, not all allergists are so good.

Btw, are you taking probiotics? Probiotics can help a lot. I would find a good non-dairy one for you and a non-dairy one meant for infants for your dd. JaneS is the probiotic expert, she would be able to tell you which brands are best. Abd hopefully which brands are good AND allergen free.
#12 of 12 Old 02-20-2007, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. We are taking probiotics, and they have helped with a lot of issues, but it is clear that I haven't figured out all of our allergens, or more are developing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page