Is he really THAT allergic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-17-2007, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH drank chocolate milk for supper. Half hour after he finished, he was playing with DS. Blowing raspberries on his neck, etc. Evidently DS was grabbing DH's tongue (don't ask me why DH allowed him to do this). Well low and behold, while in the bath, I noticed on small hive on DS's back and some eczema. I noticed some eczema forming on his face and in the crook of his neck where DH was blowing raspberries.

Is he REALLY that allergic to dairy or should I assume it was the either the black beans, rice, onion or chicken we had for supper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-17-2007, 10:43 PM

I have a friend whose child is really that allergic. If he touches dairy, including milk soaps and stuff like that, he gets hives. It's a carry-an-epipen level of allergy. Definitely be careful.
#3 of 13 Old 02-17-2007, 10:44 PM

My nephew is anaphylactic to dairy and gets hives from skin contact with it. It's pretty common w/ severe dairy allergies. Do you have epi-pens? I don't mean to scare you, but if he's getting hives from skin contact, it's probably a very serious allergy. Dh should make sure to wash hands and rinse out mouth/brush teeth anytime he eats/drinks something w/ dairy in it before touching ds from now on.
#4 of 13 Old 02-17-2007, 10:51 PM

Sounds like he needs to have a epi pen to me.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 13 Old 02-17-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, we absolutely have an epi pen (actually a twinject). I was in denial a long time and DS was consuming dairy through me. He only ever had eczema from it. I can't believe it would actually get worse being dairy free and from contact when he used to get it from me!
#6 of 13 Old 02-18-2007, 12:42 AM

From what I have heard, once you go off a certain food the reactions can become stronger if you come in contact with the allergen. I forget why that is now...

Anyways, has he been tested for allergies? I think it's worth knowing what specific foods are safe or causing problems.

Oh, and my ds would get hives while he was eating yogurt or whatever... during the actual meal until we figured out the culprits.
#7 of 13 Old 02-18-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Heidi, yes he's been tested. He's positive for tomatos, egg, dairy, and strawberry. He *might* be allergic to watermelon and avocado. I intend to try those two foods in a month or two to try to ascertain if he really is allergic. We were just starting to eliminate foods the last time he had those, and its possible his reaction wasn't to those foods.

I really hope he outgrows this stuff. How is he ever supposed to be able to go to a birthday party when he's older?
#8 of 13 Old 02-18-2007, 06:06 PM

When he was getting it through you, it was most likely at least partially broken down. KWIM? My sister nursed my nephew for over 2 years. He had absolutely NO signs of food allergies until he started eating solids. No eczema, no reflux, no nothing. He was a huge healthy baby. Got hives the first time she gave him a lick of ice cream at 12 mos. Got hives and started blowing up from his first cookie at 12 mos. THank God she lived only a few blocks from the hospital!

Not all babies react through their mom's milk.
#9 of 13 Old 02-18-2007, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, it is possible to be that sensitive. Long while back I read an article about people with shrimp allergy reacting after kissing their SO who had eaten shrimp.

You might want to do some reading up on Latex allergy, when you're up for it. Some of those food allergies you mention him having are associated with a person later developing that allergy too. Not always, but enough of the time.

"What will you do once you know?"
#10 of 13 Old 02-18-2007, 06:41 PM

My son is four. He's had two anaphylactic reactions to dairy--both were via contact only. It never reached his lips.

It is definitely possible to be that allergic.

Birthday parties? If you're lucky, you'll have a couple friends who will be willing to forego ice cream and pizza (and if you end up with latex--which we have also--balloons). We have a very small handful of friends who do that.
#11 of 13 Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 PM

My ped allergest said ds should grow out of most allergies (except peanut (which he has) and shellfish) by 1st grade. SHOULD is the opprative word. Most kids outgrow dairy by this time. My little one has eggs, peanut, dairy, soy and wheat. Talk about a pain!! I will have to bring my own food to parties

Good luck and hugs to you all!!!
#12 of 13 Old 02-24-2007, 05:45 PM

My son when he was a baby used to get hives all over if milk came in contact with his skin.

He's almost six now and we just let him try some milk products for the first time a couple of months ago. He did fine just drinking yakult and eating yogurt for a couple of weeks, but then his eczema started coming back. So now we're back to dairy free for him. At least there were no hives.

I will say that if your son is allergic to milk, and he never gets to eat cheese and ice-cream, etc. he might not miss it at all because he's never had it. We had a party at our house a while back ago and someone brought ice-cream and my son didn't feel left out at all. He is used to having a different special treat than everyone else.
#13 of 13 Old 02-24-2007, 05:54 PM

My friend's daughter is that allergic also, even to 'milk' lotions. She's 5 1/2 yo now & it hasn't really abated much & they've just learned to live with it. It was a big learning curve, just because it's so different from how they used to eat. She's also old enough to make the connection between what she eats & how it affects her so she doesn't really complain about complying.

When they're over I always try to have some other options like fresh fruit or tofutti so she's not so singled out, but the mom always brings something special for her to eat also.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page