talk to me about behavior and hidden food allergies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I checked out this book from the lib. called 'Is this your child',about hidden food allergies in kids. It is a really,um,big,detailed book,and I just don't know where exactly to start in it cause it seems to address alot of things that don't really pertain to us.
My biggest concern/issue right now is my 2 yr old ds's behavior. He is very,very much like they described in the book behavior wise. He also has this persistent pimply rash on his buttocks,the cheeks only,so it's not really a "diaper rash",if that makes sense. I dunno if that's a sign of food allergies,but it doesn't seem to go completely away with diaper ointment,and I know it's not thrush.

I am just so tired of meltdowns over EVERYTHING with him lately. I dunno if it's a "2" thing,or food allergies,or a combination of both.: But it's mentally draining me. I swear on a daily basis I find myself just wanting to collapse in a heap from the sheer physical and mental exhaustion of dealing with him.

Anyone have any basic advice on where I can start right now with figuring out if it's a dietary issue?
#2 of 2 Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have the book in front of me, I borrowed it from the library and seriously want to buy a copy for everyone I know. I found it so helpful with my 3 year old daughter and wish that *someone* had clued me into the possiblity of food reactions long ago.

That said, it took me 2-3 times of checking it out and reading parts before I got anywhere with it, there is a lot of information there. As I recall, once you're pretty sure there are reactions going on, there are two options;

1) total elimination diet (outlined in detail in the book, automatically excludes just about everything 'reactive')

2) keep a journal of food eaten and 'meltdowns', to try to establish correlations.

When I started this process (last Oct.?) I wasn't entirely convinced, so I started with the journal as it was least intrusive. It took me a day and a half before I figured out one of the main causes of my daughter's outbursts - kiwi and melon.

It took me a little while longer (until recently, really, because I foolishly kept re adding it) to accept that dairy is also out. She simply is not toilet trained when she has dairy - she pees herself within half an hour of having had it.

Recently, I've been suspecting soy for causing grumpiness, but I'm not positive yet. It just doesn't come up enough and I'm not willing to experiment at this point.

So - that's my long winded way of suggesting that you start writing down what your child eats and noting behaviours. I believe that the book states that most reactions happen within 30 minutes (possibly an hour?) of having ingested something, making it easier to pinpoint.

Good luck!

Erica

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page