Frequent colds or allergies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2007, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is almost 20 months old, and she gets a cold at least once a month. The crazy thing about this is that I breastfed her up until a few weeks ago (at which point she weaned during my current pregnacy), I stay home with her, and she eats really healthy food. Since the flu is going around here, we've been staying home a lot (to avoid exposure). However, she had a brief cold 2 weeks ago (lasted only a little over a day), and this week she has a cough which has now matured to a cough with fever.

I'm wondering if we're dealing with allergies because she is so frequently sick. And, we live in Arkansas, which is known for it's irregular weather. This week, her cough started when we got a sudden warm-up in temperatures, and the cold she had 2 weeks ago also came after an unusually warm day.

I've been worried about this for some time, but hubby assures me our daughter isn't as sick as other children. And he's sort of right. Other than these colds, she's only had one ear infection. I just hate for her to not feel well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2007, 12:16 PM

I think most kids average a cold a month or more. Also, you have to remember that she is going to start catching everything that you were giving her immunity to. I weaned my first ds when he was under 2 and he seemed to be sick CONSTANTLY for 6 mos after that.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I shouldn't get too worked up about it and just accept that colds are normal for children. I've heard other people say that their little ones were constantly sick after weaning. I wish I could have nursed her forever.

Maybe I'll get to nurse our next baby longer.

User Tag List