How many days to notice a reaction from food? - Mothering Forums
Allergies > How many days to notice a reaction from food?
jrose_lee's Avatar jrose_lee 08:36 PM 02-25-2007
I am trying to figure out what is bothering ds by writing down what I eat and recording when he gets that red ring and when it seems to hurt when he poops. He also gets little bleeding "scrape looking" marks when I eat the sensitive foods. I really want to figure this out.

I thought it was dairy, but it has happened again two days ago (and I've had no dairy for a long while). It is clearly at least one other food. He is fine now.

How many days does it take for the food to get through him and cause problems on the way out? If anyone knows, that information could help me in finding out what the culprit is.

I'm guessing it might take another time or two of "red tush" before I can figure out for sure what it is. I hope it isn't too hard......

Caden's Mom's Avatar Caden's Mom 08:59 PM 02-25-2007
It can get to him in as little as a half hour.
jrose_lee's Avatar jrose_lee 09:03 PM 02-25-2007
Oh wow. So, it could even be something I ate THAT day, huh? Is that usually how it works? I'll keep taking notes and see what I can figure out. I'm TIRED of this. I hate seeing him hurting. :
cat19's Avatar cat19 10:29 PM 02-25-2007
It's also true that some proteins continue in your system for weeks--like dairy.
USAmma's Avatar USAmma 11:05 PM 02-25-2007
If it's IgE reaction it will often appear very quickly. If it's an IgG reaction it can take up to 5 days.
wendy1221's Avatar wendy1221 11:52 PM 02-25-2007
Yep. Anywhere from a half hour to 5 days. WHen I ate something w/ even dairy contamination (like Newman's Own wheat and dairy free cookies--they're run on dairy line and must have contam, b/c ds reacted!) he would react immediately upon breastfeeding anytime after a half hour after I ate. It was that quick.

But if I ate wheat, it took him 3-5 days to react, so wheat was harder to figure out.

Ds is no longer allergic to dairy, but he still has problems with wheat. There is hope!
Up