Mothering Forum banner

Latex mattress/pillow = latex allergy?

719 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  anthasam 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone can help me out.

DS1 had allergy testing yesterday and one of his big reactions was to dust mites. I am also allergic to dust mites so it wasn't a big surprise.

We are in the process of making decisions about how to approach this. I have been reading about latex mattresses and pillows and their resistance to mite infestation. I was wondering though, could one develop a latex allergy from constant exposure every night?

The mattresses and pillows I have been looking at are covered with organic wool and cotton so it's not like you are in direct contact but I still wonder.

Does anyone have the scoop on this?

BTW, I should add that prior to becoming a SAHM, I was a veterinary technician so I have had a fair bit of latex exposure with no ill effect.

#2 ·
I have a latex allergy, but seem to only be allergic to "manmade" latex (which contains petroleum products). I haven't had any problem with natural latex.
From what I've read, that seems to be the norm.

#3 ·
Quote:
I was wondering though, could one develop a latex allergy from constant exposure every night?
Possibly.

From what I understand, when a person has the tendency to develop allergies (genetic), it's exposure that can determine just what any given person turns out to become allergic to.

My allergy is to natural latex, rubber. Synthetic "rubber", aka neoprene and silicone--both of which I've seen called "rubber" are not problems for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.