Can allergies cause morning nausea? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-07-2007, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
First, afaik I don't have any food intolerances other than gluten/dairy, and I'm GFCF. I rarely eat corn or soy, I mostly follow an NT type diet.

I am having problems with moderate to severe nausea in the mornings.....it wakes me up and continues until I've been up for a few hours. It gets better as the day progresses and is gone at night. I feel great before bed, sleep just fine, and then the nausea hits around 7am, waking me up. During these episodes, my ears feel kinda clogged (but no pain) and I have a post nasal drip. No congestion,though.

I dry heave in the am, but nothing comes up, even after I eat. And no, I'm not pregnant I've had this problem off and on for about three years, it first appeared in winter of 2004 and was extreme....it lasted for months and finally I tried cutting out gluten and it eliminated the problem. However, after going gluten free I would have the problem on occasion, but it was moderate. I discovered if I took Sudafed it would totally eliminate my symptoms (I tried all things natural and out of desperation tried the Sudafed, and it was like magic). I went to my doc and his opinion was that I had allergies and that the post nasal drip was causing my stomach to be upset. He rx'd Zyrtec and other anithistimines, none of which worked. He had me try ZyrtecD (which is Zyrtec and pseudoephidriene...same ingredient as in Sudafed) which did work. However, I can't use that on a regular basis as the pseudoephidrine isn't safe for long term use....I was told that on occasion, if things were really bad, to take it for a day or two, but that's it. The problem is that nothing else that I've tried works Luckily, my symptoms went away and only flared up a few times since then. Until now.

I've had this horrible nausea/dry heaving issue for over a week with no signs of improvement. My ears do feel full, I do have a slight post nasal drip, but my nose is totally clear. I guess I wonder if this is really allergies or something else....I mean, if it's seasonal allergies or something, why don't allergy meds/antihistimines work? I don't get water eyes, itchy eyes, stuffy nose, drippy nose, anything else. Just a full feeling in my ears (like I need to clear them, but no pain or pressure) and the nasal drip.

I take Vit. C daily, I steam and use essential oils, all to no avail. I've tried a natural mucous thinner which doesn't help, as well as some homeopathics. At this point, I'm willing to take anything that will work as long as the side effects aren't scary.

Thanks for reading, I'm at my wits end and want to feel better.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#2 of 3 Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
God, i have the same problem, except that along with it, i get a dry crusty feeling in my throat. my ears do feel c, but they do hurt and so does my head. the nausea is worse after i eat. haveyou ever tried Colloidal Silver? it really works and can get rid of allergies for good! it takes care of my nausea right away because it breaks down all the mucus from the post nasal drip. and also try Niel med(nasal irrigation) God bless u and i hope i was of some service!:
#3 of 3 Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So far none of the antihistamines work for my ds's seasonal allergies either. I haven't tried just sudafed for him. Interesting. What studies show that sudafed isn't okay for long term use? And if you only have it seasonally, then can you do it just while it's bothering you? It could still be related to food, since I know that milk causes congestion. And yes, if you have enough post-nasal drip, it'll make you nauseous because there's all that gook in your throat.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page