why are allergies worse when they wake up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe an obvious Q, I don't know. I've started giving ds zyrtec at night but when he wakes up, his lips are crusted shut and his whole face is covered by crusty hives. Is this just the course of an allergy or does it mean it's something in the room at night aggravating it?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 07:40 PM

It could be his bed, the detergent you use, the sheets, the pillows or quilt fill, dust, dust mites... What is he allergic to?

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#3 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 PM

In addition to PP's comments about it being in his bedding or the room, it could be pollens. Plants bloom in the evenings and early morning hours. My allergies are always horrible and awful as soon as I wake up, even if I was able to sleep peacefully. We have completely allergy proofed the bedroom so it has to be pollen. It gets better when the blooming season ends.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 6 Old 05-23-2007, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm wondering. How early does the pollen start in the morning and can it really enter a room w/the windows closed?

Or, is it something inside.

Ds is allergic to the pollen from outdoors and the dust mites indoors. So, I have his bedding hotwashed and the special allergy-free protectors AND an air purifier. I change his pillowcase every night and he showers off at night.

Sooooooooooooooo frustrating. His pillow was bloody this am from his cracked lips/.
#5 of 6 Old 05-24-2007, 12:05 PM

I'm curious to know about the pollen entering the room too...my 8 mo old DD tested positive to dogs 2 months ago. She was getting bright red cheeks every time I fed her, which I thought was food related, but turns out it was the dog. Since then we have taken measures to reduce the dander and the redness disappeared. Then pollen season started and she started having horrible problems with her eyes and nose. Keeping the house shut up helped a lot but she still would get the itchy eyes from being out and about. A week ago she was put on zyrtec for the remainder of the month, and that helped immensely. But the past few mornings she has woken up congested and with a goopy eye. She gets the zyrtec soon after in the morning so I have been thinking the prior dose has worn off. We keep her door shut most of the time with an air purifier in there so I have been wondering if it is the pollen getting in there somehow, or if it's something else. DS’s preschool teacher said she woke up the other morning with her eyes swollen shut from the pollen, but I didn’t ask her if she keeps the house shut up or if her windows are open.
#6 of 6 Old 05-24-2007, 03:06 PM

Pollen counts go up during the early mornings so make sure the windows are shut and the a/c is on.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page