Zyrtec and Behavior Problems? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS has only been on Zyrtec for 2 days and while his allergies are better, he is a completely different person! He has gone from being sweet and gentle to being aggressive, hyper, and moody. He is acting possessed and bouncing off the walls, hitting, throwing things, crying and screaming for the tiniest reasons.... : Has anyone else had this experience? His allergies are soooo bad, I don't know what to do.
#2 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 02:25 PM

I forget where, but somewhere online I found a group-like a yahoo group for zyrtec users who were posting all kinds of side effects that their kids had to zyrtec and change in behavior was definitely one of them...
I was googling zyrtec, so maybe you could find that list that way.
After reading it, I decided not to give it to my ds-he is only 11 months!
Good luck! and sorry to hear.
#3 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 03:06 PM

Its an antihistamine (sp?) so I could see that it might cause an effect like this. I know when my son was little medicine like Tylenol (that should of made him sleepy) made him bounce off the walls. We had a terrible time with pain medicine for him when he was little. Seems like you are finding the same thing.

Call your Doctor and see if they can switch to something else or if you can cut back on the dosage.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 05:17 PM

I can't believe how timely this thread is. Last night I was searching for side effects for Zyrtec and found this:
http://www.askapatient.com/viewratin...35&name=ZYRTEC

DS has been on Zyrtec for 3.5 years. He started when he was 2.5. I never put 2 and 2 together that the behavioral change he went through was due to a widely prescribed medicine, but more of just being a 2 almost 3 year old. And then being a 4 year old. And then being a 5 year old. I could just kick myself. Hard. : But after reading all of these posts, obviously there's a connection. And by the way, it doesn't appear like you get used to this medication. These side effects don't appear to go away no matter how long you take it. I will not be giving him Zyrtec again -- EVER.

Today, I came on MDC lookig to see if any other mommas had experience like this and found your post. Coincidence? I tend to think not.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#5 of 10 Old 06-09-2007, 11:49 PM

Cripes! DS's allergies have been really bad this spring, so I've been dosing him more than usual. Suddenly he's biting! Hmmmm. But I have to wonder, is it the allergies or is it the meds. Guess we'll cut it entirely for a week or so.
#6 of 10 Old 06-10-2007, 01:25 PM

I've heard others say that their children have a lot of behavioral side affects on zyrtec. My ds does not have any behavioral changes on it. Sometimes
I think it actually softens some of his behavior issues.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#7 of 10 Old 06-11-2007, 06:55 PM

My son had similar behavior issues with Claritin last spring. Almost immediately after starting it, his behavior changed dramatically. I stopped the medication at the time, and about 6 months later, we discovered that he was allergic to artificial food dyes (which are often found in medications as well as foods). It turns out that the Claritin he had been taking was dyed red and he most likely was reacting to the dye. Now I make sure that any medication is "dye free" (shouldn't they all be??) and we have nearly eliminated these reactions. Not sure if this applies to Zyrtec or not, but had to share...
#8 of 10 Old 06-11-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhlmom View Post
My son had similar behavior issues with Claritin last spring. Almost immediately after starting it, his behavior changed dramatically. I stopped the medication at the time, and about 6 months later, we discovered that he was allergic to artificial food dyes (which are often found in medications as well as foods). It turns out that the Claritin he had been taking was dyed red and he most likely was reacting to the dye. Now I make sure that any medication is "dye free" (shouldn't they all be??) and we have nearly eliminated these reactions. Not sure if this applies to Zyrtec or not, but had to share...
I'm not sure about anyone else, but ds took the Zyrtec syrup - which is clear, so no dyes. It is flavored, however. While we avoid artificial dyes and flavors as a rule, ds hasn't had behavior issues when he has eaten those, but of course, he isn't getting artificial stuff on a very regular basis.

I'm sure that there are more people and children that can take this medication without any severe side effects - otherwise it probably wouldn't still be on the market. However, for those rarer side effects that only affect 5% or so of the population -- well, it appears that ds falls into that category. His behavior (which was mostly anxiety based problems, inconsolability, and resistance in following directions) continues to get better since we stopped taking it last week. He's just a more laid back, happier kind of kid.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#9 of 10 Old 06-20-2007, 02:06 PM

I just wanted to do a follow up post. DS has been off Zyrtec for almost 2 weeks now - and I'm still amazed at the immediate and continued change in his behavior. He is so much happier. The mood swings and crying jags are almost non-existant now and he's been sleeping much better. Night time wakings were pretty common for him before. He also used to say that he didn't WANT to go to bed because he was scared that he would have nightmares. It seems that those have gone away, too.

DS started a day camp this week - and typically new situations are pretty anxiety filled for him. He's been handling this extraordinarily well. Some of this might be maturity, but I just think he's more relaxed overall which is helping him keep things in perspective.

We've been giving him a vitamin C and quercetin supplement that is supposed to help with allergies (both are anti-inflamatories.) His allergies have been under control - no runny nose or itchy eyes. Twice in the last couple of weeks he's complained of being a little itchy and a couple of times he's woken up a little congested, but after being up for a little bit, that's gone away. His camp is an outdoor camp and we are currently living in a home that doesn't have A/C, so the windows have been open all day and all night. He's been exposed to the environment 24/7.

#10 of 10 Old 06-20-2007, 05:42 PM

Add us to the "I think we have Zyrtec behavioral issues" club. : My son has gotten more and more out of control. I stopped giving him Zyrtec two nights ago. Even Family Outreach couldn't believe how hyper he was yesterday. I'm going to give it a couple of days. If he continues to get better behaviorally then I'm going to get him switched to something else.

I mean he was literally bouncing off the walls on Monday.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page