Anyone allergic to tomatoes or cheese? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2003, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing an elimination diet for my 2 y.o.'s eczema. Currently, we're avoiding all latex foods which includes tomatoes. But, I thought they were okay cooked? ANyhow, so many variables...but he was looking great until last night. We had lasagna for dinner and then cheese for lunch and pizza for dinner tonight.

He's already in a scratching frenzy and his legs are all red and blotchy from it.

How quickly can skin reactions happen?

Tomatoes: are they bad whether or not they're raw/cooked?

Cheese: he still eats milk and yogurt every day. Could he have a sensitivity just to hard cheese?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2003, 02:12 PM

My ds with eczema is allergic to tomatoes too. Raw, cooked, doesn't matter.

Yes your child could be allergic to just cheese. It could also be the type of cheese or if it's coloured, the dye in the cheese. People can also be allergic to combinations of food.

A food allergy can show up anytime from immediate to 24 hours. In fact, I think some allergies can show up longer, but I think something usually shows up within 24.

With my ds I have figured out how long it takes & then I know what it's been that he's eaten & is allergic to.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:10 AM

A friend of ours is allergic to cheese. That was the first time I had heard of that!
Old 07-11-2003, 11:29 AM

where did you get your info for the elimination diet?

My dd is suffering badly from eczema (on her legs and arms and today the back of the neck), and so am I (these are recent outbreaks for me, I've never had it before, it's on my lips only). She's still nursing, and I found tomatoes are a big no-no, I also excluded dairy and eggs.

But she still has it

This is so frustrating! The doc told me just to find a good cream: but I know we can heal it from the inside out if I can figure out what I'm doing
Old 07-11-2003, 03:12 PM

My ds has very extreme eczema.
Dairy, meat, tomatoes, onions, chocolate, caffeine, msg, food colour, food additives......basically anything in a package are his allergies.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:42 PM

I am intolerant to cheese, as it contains yeast. I say intolerant because I don't have a typical IgE response like hives, I get a headache, my blood pressure shoots up, and I sometimes get petichae. It's still an allergy, though.
I avoided beer, bread, cheese, and autolysed yeast for over a year.
I can now tolerate yeast as a flavoring in processed foods, a slice of bread or two a week, and fake cheeses, such as those in MacNCheese or at Taco Bell, as long as I keep it to once a week.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 07-11-2003, 10:41 PM

My toddler also has skin reactions to dairy, tomatos, oranges, lemons, soy, sugar, wheat, yeast, juice, chocolate... it gets frustrating because he loves tomatoes and tomato sauces, and other than chocolate many of the other ingredients are so common.
We started NAET therapy but he was horrible! He screamed, kicked, cried, making it nearly impossible for the practioner to treat him... so I haven't gone back.
I try to get him to avoid the foods that he reacts to, but it seems when we go out to friends or families house he finds a way to have some OJ or crackers or some bread...
I give him acidophilus and DHA to help, but I'd like to get the problem kicked!
Anyone try oil of oregano for food allergies? I know it is meant to be great for candida/yeast issues. Same w/ colloidal silver...
Old 07-12-2003, 12:19 AM

My baby had a very mild case of excema, and once we eliminated oranges it went away.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

re; the question of elimination diets...our dr. was able to guess cheese/tomatoes by the look of his skin. He didn't really think cheese b/c it's more secretory(?) and it's turned out that dairy is fine for us. We eliminated all dairy and tomatoes for 2 weeks and ds' skin was perfect! Of course, we did other things as well so it's hard to distinguish between variables. Then, we had lots of cheese and milk, etc and all was still well. Then, we went 2 weeks w/o tomatoes and just had some last night. Don't see a diff. yet

Weirdly, I think the vinegar baths are really helping!
Plus, a probiotic, C and Vit B drops.

User Tag List