Gluten and a EBF 7 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-21-2007, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will try to make this as short as possible. DS has been growing and gaining weight very slowly for the past 3-4 months. I;m not sure exactly as what pace because we really don't take him to the DR unless absolutely nessesary. I weighed him a couple of weeks ago and he was just over 15lbs at 7.5 months. I have been noticing several signs that he might be gluten intolerant or celiac, but I have not done any testing. He is small, irritable (lately, he used to be the happiest baby ever), has fatty stools, and little muscle tone. I eliminated wheat and most gluten for about a month and it seemed to help some, but he is BF except for the occasional rice cereal, banana or apple puree, or sweet potato. He doesn't really want solids so I hardly give him any.

My Q is that I all the reading I've done states that babies will not usually show signs of celiac until they are eating gluten in their diet, but If I'm eating gluten wouldn't he still be getting some, or at least the digested proteins from gluten? Would this cause his to react? I think that most studies out there are incomplete or flawed so I have a hard time believing that they really understand gluten and breastfeeding. What have you experienced? Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-21-2007, 09:56 AM

I think you're hunch is right, anything you eat is present in bm and therefore, he ingests it. The proteins are probably more broken down, but its still the proteins.

Two pediatricians and an NP insisted that there was no way that DS could be allergic to dairy since he had never eaten any, no matter that he is bf and I was eating. I insisted on an allergy test and, surprise, surprise (for them anyway), he IS allergic to dairy.
#3 of 11 Old 07-21-2007, 04:29 PM

There is a "new" study that shows very high amounts of gliadin (a component of gluten that causes reactions) makes it into breastmilk. Many women find out they have CD when they BF and baby reacts. It is very harmful to a gluten sensitive baby to have mom eating any gluten at all. I don't care what the majority of the research says. I am a celiac and accidentally got some gluten in my diet and my EBF 8 mo old immediately reacted. He normally poops 2 or some times a day and when we got glutened he didn't poop for a week, had excessive gas and horrible stomach pains. The inflammation in his intestines still has not subsided completely after about 2 months.
#4 of 11 Old 07-21-2007, 11:31 PM

Can you post a reference to the study you refer to about gliadin in breastmilk? Thanks.
#5 of 11 Old 07-22-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabellegf View Post
Can you post a reference to the study you refer to about gliadin in breastmilk? Thanks.
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/con...3785300~db=all
#6 of 11 Old 07-22-2007, 10:05 AM

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=381

A lot of info. out there. As I responded on your breastfeeding post. Call the University of Chicago hotline to help interpret. Good Luck.
#7 of 11 Old 07-22-2007, 12:45 PM

Please read the link in my siggy.

There's a lot of info there about gluten intolerance/wheat allergies and what it did to my daughter.

Check the Gut-Brain Connection page.

hth

BTW, he doesn't necessarily have to have celiac disease to be experiencing all those symptoms either. Could just be a wheat/gluten allergy or intolerance.

I'd cut it completely out of my diet if I were you asap. And remember, it can take 8 weeks to completely get out of your system and his.
#8 of 11 Old 07-22-2007, 06:40 PM

I think as you get the gluten out of your diet you should consider taking your child to the doctor. I don't know much about celiac disease (I'm off to read all of the links), but when I hear fatty stools in an infant, it makes me think of my cousin's son who had cystic fibrosis.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#9 of 11 Old 07-22-2007, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Also, be careful what rice cereal you feed to the baby. Some of them have traces of gluten from being processed in the same factory as wheat products.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#10 of 11 Old 07-22-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabellegf View Post
The only one I know about I posted in bfing area, it isn't new it was done in 1998 and top researchers in Pediatric Celiac Disease don't seem to know about it b/c I brought it to our appointment...
#11 of 11 Old 07-23-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all of your views and support. I am continuing on the gluten free route (day 4 of complete elimination) and I am also posting to find a AP/BF friendly ped in my area. I'll post again when I know more!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page