What do you think??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2007, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am baffled honestly about what is going on with my child...we have been on a all organic diet for awhile...she tends to break out in hives with anything that has to do with berries and grass also when at friends homes she has broken out with frozen pizzas (????) the doctor did a blood test for allergies and said that she had NONE....at all. The child is having a reaction to something...its not just me thinking it...What should I do? Someone mentioned healing her gutt???? At a loss please advise..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmomma3 View Post
I am baffled honestly about what is going on with my child...we have been on a all organic diet for awhile...she tends to break out in hives with anything that has to do with berries and grass also when at friends homes she has broken out with frozen pizzas (????) the doctor did a blood test for allergies and said that she had NONE....at all. The child is having a reaction to something...its not just me thinking it...What should I do? Someone mentioned healing her gutt???? At a loss please advise..
I wanted to add that any ideas would be greatfully appreciated...I am just ready to scream...because the doctor thinks that I am nuts..even though I showed him photos of her covered in hives...he thinks no allergy..
Old 07-24-2007, 04:20 AM

How old is your child? Testing isnt the most accurate when the child is under 2.

They told me with oldest DS that he didnt have allergies either when they did the blood test....the skin prick test proved what I had known for months about his allergies.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgsmommy View Post
How old is your child? Testing isnt the most accurate when the child is under 2.

They told me with oldest DS that he didnt have allergies either when they did the blood test....the skin prick test proved what I had known for months about his allergies.
She is almost 7...although have you ever heard of a allergy nose? Its when the kid has a line acrossed the nose where the push it up from runny/stuffy nose problems...she has that..
Old 07-24-2007, 12:10 PM

I'd get a referral to an actual allergist if you're dealing with a pediatrician. Most pediatricians (even if they are fine drs otherwise) are just not educated sufficiently on how allergies work in kids. If this is an allergist you're dealing with, get a new one with more experience with young kids and food and environmental allergic reactions.

RAST blood tests and skin tests are both prone to possible false negatives. Stats vary on how accurate they are at what age. However, any good allergist will tell you reactions trump test results. If your kid reacts, that's more crucial to diagnosis than a test.

I'd also check out the forums at KidswithFoodAllergies.org. There you can find BTDT advice on all of this. The main forum is available free with an associate membership; the gfmaily membership ($25 a year) gets you access to the subforums, including the recipe database, BFing on elim diets, kids with few foods, forums on non-IgE food reactions such as eos and FPIES (that will not, generally, show up on RAST blood tests and skin prick tests) and so on and so forth.

If you post there with the brand of frozen pizza and the ingredients, for example, people will help you identify likely culprits.

Until you get an appt and id her allergens, I'd:
  • keep a log that lists what she eats and when, what the pollen level is on a given day and if she played outside, any reactions she had (what sort and when), and so on.
  • keep Benadryl with you, and consider whether or not you wish to seek an epi-pen jr prescription (the posters at the forums I listed above are very helpful in offering their own experiences with that)
  • consider whether you wish to avoid nuts and/or fish/shellfish, at the leats until you consult with a good allergist, as for an allergy-prone kid (esp one who seems to be developing new allergies), those are high-risk foods.

Esp where you were not home when she had the frozen pizza reaction, it's also possible that it's a cross-contamination issue (i.e. the person fixing the pizza had a food on his or her hands that your daughter usually doesn't encounter, or had just cooked shrimp in that pan the previous night). So in your log you want to note any variation from your kid's routine; were you eating at a friend's, had she just spent the afternoon at the movies, did she hang out at an aunt's who smokes, whatever.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat19 View Post
I'd get a referral to an actual allergist if you're dealing with a pediatrician. Most pediatricians (even if they are fine drs otherwise) are just not educated sufficiently on how allergies work in kids. If this is an allergist you're dealing with, get a new one with more experience with young kids and food and environmental allergic reactions.

RAST blood tests and skin tests are both prone to possible false negatives. Stats vary on how accurate they are at what age. However, any good allergist will tell you reactions trump test results. If your kid reacts, that's more crucial to diagnosis than a test.

I'd also check out the forums at KidswithFoodAllergies.org. There you can find BTDT advice on all of this. The main forum is available free with an associate membership; the gfmaily membership ($25 a year) gets you access to the subforums, including the recipe database, BFing on elim diets, kids with few foods, forums on non-IgE food reactions such as eos and FPIES (that will not, generally, show up on RAST blood tests and skin prick tests) and so on and so forth.

If you post there with the brand of frozen pizza and the ingredients, for example, people will help you identify likely culprits.

Until you get an appt and id her allergens, I'd:
  • keep a log that lists what she eats and when, what the pollen level is on a given day and if she played outside, any reactions she had (what sort and when), and so on.
  • keep Benadryl with you, and consider whether or not you wish to seek an epi-pen jr prescription (the posters at the forums I listed above are very helpful in offering their own experiences with that)
  • consider whether you wish to avoid nuts and/or fish/shellfish, at the leats until you consult with a good allergist, as for an allergy-prone kid (esp one who seems to be developing new allergies), those are high-risk foods.

Esp where you were not home when she had the frozen pizza reaction, it's also possible that it's a cross-contamination issue (i.e. the person fixing the pizza had a food on his or her hands that your daughter usually doesn't encounter, or had just cooked shrimp in that pan the previous night). So in your log you want to note any variation from your kid's routine; were you eating at a friend's, had she just spent the afternoon at the movies, did she hang out at an aunt's who smokes, whatever.
thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!! I really appreciate your help...

User Tag List