Flaxseed/flaxseed oil? about seseme/seed allergies - Mothering Forums
Allergies > Flaxseed/flaxseed oil? about seseme/seed allergies
emilysmama's Avatar emilysmama 06:36 PM 08-02-2007
My daughter is allergic to seseme. As a result we've been avoiding seeds too. (A slice of bread that had pumpkin seeds that got past me met with unfortunate results.)

So far, I have been avoiding flaxseed. First question, is it a seed? I'm torn because I want to get some EFAs into my family and we need to avoid fish at least until my daughter is older. On the other hand, we tried one thing (an organic brownie mix) that seemed to have an innocuous ingredients list, but the second time we tried it there was a mild reaction. So I've continued to avoid flaxseed.

So anyone out there ever have a problem with flaxseed?

raquelita's Avatar raquelita 06:49 PM 08-02-2007
never heard of flax allergy...
have you tried hemp nut? of hemp nuut butter?
cat19's Avatar cat19 08:31 PM 08-02-2007
We too seem to have issues with flax. It is a seed. Our allergist doesn't recommend blanket avoidance of seeds for us but we are pretty cautious and observant when our son has them, and we're staying away form flax right now.

It's not easy to find but there are algae based Omega-3 supplements.
Sweetjane's Avatar Sweetjane 01:02 AM 08-03-2007
DS has allergy to sesame and we were told to stay away from the more allergenic of the seeds. I believe these are flax, sunflower, poppy, mustard. I think those are the big ones. I've heard that pumpkin seeds may be less allergenic, but I'm not confident about giving those to him. I am also concerned about EFAs and hope to see if you get any more advice on that. I do try to give him plenty of olive oil, avocado.
weddell's Avatar weddell 03:39 PM 08-05-2007
My dd has a sesame allergy as well. I don't know what to say about other seeds though. I know you can buy a DHA supplement that is made from algae but I don't know about food sources. We have to avoid fish too (dh is allergic) so no fish oil either. I'm interested in what you find out...
emilysmama's Avatar emilysmama 06:29 PM 08-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelita View Post
never heard of flax allergy...
have you tried hemp nut? of hemp nuut butter?
Is Hemp nut a tree nut? I was considering hemp milk, but afraid to try it because I don't really understand what it really is (seed? nut? something else?) If yoiu know, I'd appreciate the information. We have to avoid tree nuts and peanuts, in addition to avoiding seeds.
Alikat's Avatar Alikat 07:07 PM 08-20-2007
Hello,

I just happened upon this site by accident when I saw the question by emilysmama regarding flaxseed allergies. I spent nearly two years being misdiagnosed with a serious GI disorder and had dropped to a mere 104 lbs (I'm 42 y/o, 5'4) before I found the anwswer to my misery.

In an attempt to live more healthfully, I was taking flaxseed oil because I was informed that it had natural anti-inflammatory properties. I was also eating whole grains. I started having severe pain in my stomach, extreme nausea and had more trips to the ER than I care to remember, where they could find nothing wrong me no matter how many tests they performed. I just kept telling them that I felt like I was being poisoned.

I had suspected flaxseed only because it was the only change I had recently made, and no one listened because if you look up flaxseed anywhere, you won't find any bad reports about it. Finally, I looked up the right combination of words: flaxseed & allergy and found this link:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fla...tient-flaxseed

Under the orange heading of "safety" you'll be able to read about the harfmul effects to those who have a rare allergy to flaxseed. When I read the sympoms of those in the case study, I nearly jumped for joy because it was exactly what I had been going through, and finally, no one could tell me that I was crazy when I said I thought it was this wonderous oil/seed/herb that was causing my misery.

I can only hope that this information will spare someone else from what I went through, because it made my life a living hell. I alos have sensitivity to things like sesame, beef, etc. but none of these things makes me violently ill like that did. If you think there is something wrong and you can't get anyone else to lis
ten, go see an allergist ASAP. Not everything that is supposed to be good for you, is, especially if you're unaware that you have an anaphylactic reaction to it.

Good luck and be well~
NYCVeg's Avatar NYCVeg 10:56 AM 08-21-2007
Just subbing, b/c I've been wondering about this as well. Dd also has sesame (and every other bloody thing under the sun) and I've been wondering about flax oil. Theoretically, oil might not be a problem, since there shouldn/t be any proteins in it (though there can be from contamination, of course). We also do no fish since she is allergic to 6 of the top 8, and our allergist says to avoid any high-potential allergens, even if she's not testing +. I
Chinese Pistache's Avatar Chinese Pistache 05:21 PM 08-21-2007
I suspect my dc is allergic to flax and sesame, too. She didn't test positive to either of them, but sesame oil and sunbutter causes her eczema to flare and the flaxseed oil I used to put in her oatmeal gave her red bumps around her mouth.
sam shadow's Avatar sam shadow 06:26 PM 10-27-2007
Our son had an analyphylactic reaction to flax seed when he was just 18 months old. He nearly died. He vomited, airway shut down and had whole body hives in a few minutes. I gave him a small piece of a cereal that had no common allergens and immediately he screamed, lost his voice, threw up and stopped breathing. Very scary. He is also allergic to sesame seeds, peanuts, nuts, kiwi fruit (seeds), and oats. Our allergist said it is rare, but with more flax seed around now, he is sure there will be an increase in allergies.
2beautifulgrrls's Avatar 2beautifulgrrls 07:20 PM 07-15-2008
We just had a RAST panel for our 15 month old done and Flaxseed was the number one SIGNIFICANT reaction. I am so thankful to have this information at long last. Our daughter has had terrible ezcema since day one that did not respond to any creams, supplements, etc. She has been to the ER twice, given steroids to combat her reaction and FINALLY it all falls into place. The flaxseed supplements are in so much of the baby foods now -- and it is scary how quickly she reacts - hives, wheezing, diarrhea. I even had our family doctor telling me to put flaxseed oils on her foods and on her skin. I think back now and shudder.

We will talk to the allergist about other seeds next, but if anyone is concerned about the flaxseed please read the link to the Mayo article by the previous poster. They are spot on and there is not a lot of info out there re: this allergy.
ellasmama2007's Avatar ellasmama2007 09:58 PM 07-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam shadow View Post
Our son had an analyphylactic reaction to flax seed when he was just 18 months old. He nearly died. He vomited, airway shut down and had whole body hives in a few minutes. I gave him a small piece of a cereal that had no common allergens and immediately he screamed, lost his voice, threw up and stopped breathing. Very scary. He is also allergic to sesame seeds, peanuts, nuts, kiwi fruit (seeds), and oats. Our allergist said it is rare, but with more flax seed around now, he is sure there will be an increase in allergies.

we seems to have an allergy to flax as well, not confirmed by testing. hemp seeds are ok for us though and are very nutritious.
Up