What worked for my dd's eczema - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-12-2003, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I'm more of a lurker here but just wanted to share info that worked for my dd's eczema since I learned so much from you all in the archives.

We've been having a problem with eczema since she was about 4 months. She is 10 months now and we've finally got it under control after tearing our hair out trying to figure something out to fix it. It was weepy, itchy, and horrible, and she got impetigo a couple times too. And we were so confused as to what was causing it, b/c we eat really well, a vegan whole foods diet, so dairy was not a trigger for us.

I started keeping a food journal to determine what was causing her rash since she's breastfed, and coincidentally the triggers were what dh and I used to be allergic to-tropical fruits and nuts and animal dander. We also discovered a sesame allergy when we put a little on her face to see if it would work as a natural moisturizer. Once she started tasting solid foods (she's still mostly breastfed) we discovered more triggers as she broke out in the itches after certain foods like coconut milk. It was very frustrating and difficult to determine the triggers going through my milk, but we kept going with the journal and writing down her daily status until we saw a pattern.

But what seems to have helped the most is me taking an MSM supplement. I had started taking it after dh found a post from a woman who took it and had her son's eczema clear up, so I figured why not? and started taking it. And she started clearing up!

So now what we're doing is the MSM supplement, avoiding trigger foods, keeping her hands and face clean, and applying rosewater mixed 50/50 with glycerin from the pharmacy (the best lotion I've discovered for her eczema, and she likes it b/c it tastes sweet). When she had really bad impetigo, I used a cream called Sulfa-Derm diluted with another cream called Herb-A-Clear and Weleda's Diaper Care cream (the sulfa-derm was too strong straight on). From time to time we also used another cream called Ecze-mate, which seemed to work pretty well although it was really sticky and hard to apply (they have a money-back guarantee though).

She is now pretty much clear all the time, the skin is smooth save for a few tiny bumps on her left cheek right now, and her cheeks are pinkish. But no more itchiness or weepiness, and she's so much happier now! I'm really happy that I was able to control it naturally, and I hope something here may help someone else too.
#2 of 7 Old 07-12-2003, 11:10 PM

toraji,

What is the MSM supplement? Minerals, herbs?

We know ds's triggers: dairy, eggs. But it would be nice to have something to catch the occasional flare up from when I eat out.

Thanks!
#3 of 7 Old 07-12-2003, 11:13 PM

That's great news! My ds had severe eczema for so long. He's finally much better now that we stay away from his trigger foods.

I know what you have been going through and glad to hear you've got it under control...
#4 of 7 Old 07-13-2003, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

MSM stands for Methylsulfonylmethane and is a sulfur compound found naturally in very fresh foods. Here is a link for more info on MSM:
http://www.worldimage.com/products/i.../msmfacts.html

I got a huge container of it from our local Costco, along with their Premium multi-vitamin supplement.

Thanks for reading!
#5 of 7 Old 07-13-2003, 08:51 PM

Wow, thanks!!! Hopefully it'll help with my exzema too. So far I've just been taking EFA supplements which has helped me and Emily a bit. I'll try the MSM next tiem I'm out.
#6 of 7 Old 07-19-2003, 03:58 AM

thank you for the tip!

do you know if it's alright to take when pregnant? i browsed the site but i didn't see mention of pregnancy safety.

and is it alright to give to children?

please answer only if you know of the top of your head.. i can do a bit of research another day.

soy was the worst for my boy's eczema, but other stuff is bugging him too. i'm working on figuring out what it is, but i'd love just to help him be less allergic!
#7 of 7 Old 07-19-2003, 07:04 PM

That is good to know. I am interested too if I can give it to my dd. My son's eczema pretty much clears up with EFA'S but dd's doesn't respond as well. I can't figure out trigger foods and need to keep my eye open....hehe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page