Ghee and dairy intolerance/allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD has issues with dairy. I made my own ghee (can't buy it here, so I made my own, strained pretty meticulously). I was having some, but now I wonder, is it okay to have ghee when you have dairy intolerance? DD is still bf, so I strictly avoid dairy, but for some reason thought that ghee was okay because the solids are out. Is it? Anybody know about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 12:09 PM

Nope, not dairy free in terms of allergies. You can't guarantee that all the proteins are removed; essentially it's a recipe for almost guaranteed varying trace amounts of milk protein. Your DD may or may not have visible reactions to particular amounts, but for my kid I wouldn't do it, esp as there's no certainty that the amount of trace milk proteins would be the same every time; even if you saw no reaction the first four times, say, the fifth time might have that little bit more.

Sorry...
Old 08-20-2007, 05:47 PM

I agree. Stay away from the ghee.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 08-21-2007, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh! I really wanted to have ghee :
Thanks for replying. You guys are right, not worth it.
Maybe one day...
Old 08-21-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
I strictly avoid dairy, but for some reason thought that ghee was okay because the solids are out.
I thought the same, as I've been dairy free for years but have goat's milk and sheep's milk yoghurt. Kellymom has a cheat sheet of hidden dairy and it shows that ghee and goat's milk is out... but not sheep's milk. hmmm....
Old 08-22-2007, 11:59 AM

IIRC, over 90% of people with cow's milk allergy react to goat's milk. I would imagine sheep's milk (and most other mammal milk) would be similar; the majority of people may well react, a few may not. For my kid, we haven't tried and won't try other mammal milk alternatives; with his reactions the risk is too high and the payoff too small.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat19 View Post
IIRC, over 90% of people with cow's milk allergy react to goat's milk. I would imagine sheep's milk (and most other mammal milk) would be similar; the majority of people may well react, a few may not. For my kid, we haven't tried and won't try other mammal milk alternatives; with his reactions the risk is too high and the payoff too small.
Yes exactly. I had hear water buffalo yogurt would be safe but when I asked the allergist about it, he said that all mammel milk (barring human milk on an elimination diet) was out.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 PM

A question for you -- is it the proteins or the lactose? I mean, do you know for sure what the reaction is to? I ask because my son and I have a sensitivity to lactose, but we are fine with raw milk. That might not even be something you can get in your area, but it is something to keep in mind.

Crystal
Old 08-24-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

It is the protein. She is also intolerant of goat's milk, so I wouldn't try sheep's milk or the yak's milk we have here. Hopefully she will grow out of it. That would make life so much easier.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 PM

I inquired at www.purityfarms.com about their Ghee. Here is the reply (followed by by original email)

Anyone tried this, used this, had a reaction?
Anyone know what the FDA labeling standards are?

S

Howard Feldenkreis to me
show details Dec 3

Dear Susan
Thank You for writing to us! Yes, every batch of our Ghee is tested
in an FDA certified lab to insure that it is lactose and casein
free....Therefore we can put on our label that our Ghee is,indeed, lactose and casein free-it is fine for people with even the most severe dairy allergies.
Happy Cooking! Kathy-Purity Farms, Inc.

- Hide quoted text -

Clark-Lindh wrote:

> Hello,Please tell me how you make the claim for lactose-free and
> casein-free Ghee.Do you have a third party test like the ELISA
> standard test for gluten-free?I am very interested in your Ghee, but
> need to ensure it has been batch tested in some way.Thank you so much
> for your attention to my query.Susan
Old 12-05-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
A question for you -- is it the proteins or the lactose? I mean, do you know for sure what the reaction is to? I ask because my son and I have a sensitivity to lactose, but we are fine with raw milk. That might not even be something you can get in your area, but it is something to keep in mind.

Crystal
It's very, very rare for a baby to have a lactose intolerance. Breastmilk has lactose and infants who have a genuine lactose intolerance become seriously ill--they can't even tolerate breastmilk. Too often, pediatricians just toss around the term "lactose intolerance" with any real thought to what it means; generally, what they mean is "allergy".
Old 12-06-2007, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
DD has issues with dairy. I made my own ghee (can't buy it here, so I made my own, strained pretty meticulously). I was having some, but now I wonder, is it okay to have ghee when you have dairy intolerance? DD is still bf, so I strictly avoid dairy, but for some reason thought that ghee was okay because the solids are out. Is it? Anybody know about this?
Definitely not okay. My dairy-allergic son accidentally got a tiny amount of ghee last week, and reacted to it. As for casein-free ghee, I wouldn't risk it unless the allergy is known to be specifically to casein, and not to any of the other dairy proteins.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:31 AM

Well-prepared ghee is not dairy-free, but it is casein-free (the only dairy that is casein-free). My son is allergic to casein, but not milk, so we are going to try it.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It depends on how sensitive you are. Some people can handle those tiny traces, and others can't. It's safer to avoid it for now if you're not sure how your baby will react.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)

User Tag List